Strange Intermittent Grinding Noise When Braking On Incline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueWrapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have 2014 Black Ram Express.

When I'm on incline such as backing out of my driveway I sometimes get this strange noise that I can only describe as a loud grinding type sound. It seems to happen more frequently when it rains or is very humid. But happens sometimes when dry. I can't think of a time it has happened on flat road it's almost like the brakes have a hard time holding all the weight of the truck on an incline or decline. Also more prevalent after sitting overnight.

Anyone else experience anything similiar? Other than that the truck is great and the brakes actually stop just fine.

Just wondering if others trucks do this and it's a normal thing.

Thanks.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
'Pad chatter' when first starting out?

Normal.

Sedum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Surface rust on the rotors. Common and nothing to worry about.

OP
OP
B

BlueWrapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys. Never had this in one of my vehicles and was surprised with a new truck.

Glad it's common.

blu3s94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine does the same thing, never had any vehicle do this even with surface rust on the rotors from rain...

OP
OP
B

BlueWrapper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
'Pad chatter' when first starting out?

Normal.

Actually today it did it on flat ground right when I start the vehicle. I notice when I changed from park to drive out of the parking lot. What makes is causing this "pad chatter" as you called it? Weird that it seems to happen fresh off starting it.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
When you first take off you have your foot on the brake, so there ya go.

Front or back, if front... 4x4?

Could be axle shafts, these are weak points on these trucks and if they didn't put enough grease under the cv boot, you would get this, more of a popping noise but could grind as well. Don't worry the grinding wouldn't last long if it is an axle shaft, the bad news is it will fail if it is.

You could check your ball joints, known issue but probably not your issue. Jack up each tire and grab top and bottom of tire and try to move. If there is movement you have bad ball joints.

Last edited:

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had this with every vehicle I've had. If you look at your brake rotors after they sit overnight youll probably see some rust spots. Apply a little brake pressure while moving hear a little grinding/squeaking, look at the rotors and they'll be clean.

Its just the rust getting scrapped off

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Actually today it did it on flat ground right when I start the vehicle. I notice when I changed from park to drive out of the parking lot. What makes is causing this "pad chatter" as you called it? Weird that it seems to happen fresh off starting it.

pad releases/grabs/releases.

Make a video of the noise so we can review.