Sub box airspace question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I have a custom fiberglass homemade box I bought from a member here, is very well made and strong. Currently running 2 Pioneer Champion 12s off 1,000 watts, 200 watts more than subs are rated. Sounds good, no real complaints, but was thinking about putting the pioneers in another car with Amp that would be perfect for the subs. Now question, if cover the sub hole on one side and drop in a single competition type 10, using all the airspace which is around 1.5 cf, would that sound better than 2 12s using 1.5. Was thinking of something like a massive audio hippo 10 or American bass and adding a port to one side of box or using entire airspace for 1. I don't know much about box design and wondering if the way box is inside will affect bass since it has area for sub, then a tunnel about as big as a 1 liter milk jug then area. So wondering if that tunnel that connects both sides of box affects bass.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
There are other 12” woofers that move a lot more air while sounding better in a compact airspace. The JL 12TW3 for example, but to answer your question we need to know your max depth as it will limit your options greatly in the SPL oriented category.

With enough power and airspace one 10” will easily outperform those entry level pioneers.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also, just adding a random port may make things worse not better. In general, subs in a ported enclosure require more airspace. I’ve not used it but all the bass heads use a program called WINISD to model box sizes.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also, just adding a random port may make things worse not better. In general, subs in a ported enclosure require more airspace. I’ve not used it but all the bass heads use a program called WINISD to model box sizes.

I don't think he wants to add a port, just wants to use 1 sub and all the boxes volume for that 1 sub. There is no separation between the 2 12s now

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
First off, an amp with 200 watts OVER subwoofer rating is a good thing...overhead will lower the distortion to the subwoofers as long as the gain is set appropriately.
Secondly, (not knowing air space requirements for the Pioneers) 1.5cu/ft sounds a bit small for two 12's sealed...but I could be wrong...some 12's do ok in .75cu/ft each.
Your best bet is to find a subwoofer that is comfortable in 1.5 cu/ft ...I would personally choose a single 12 over a rowdy 10. You will always be better off choosing more cone area than leaning hard on a smaller sub. The "milk jug" area will not effect anything in a sealed application...airspace is airspace in a sealed application. However, in a ported application, it COULD have some effects but you'll never know unless you try or find some way to model it. Personally, I would choose a 12 and keep the box sealed for a flatter response curve. There are many many great subs (from spl to SQ) that will work well in 1.5cu/ft sealed. Keep it simple. The box makes or breaks a subwoofer

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Thanks, reason I was thinking 10 is I have depth but every sub is different and depending on magnets/sub frame could hit box where it molds to rear under seat area. I had some bigger subs I tried in there before and they barely fit, had to move them just perfect to not hit box. A 10 possible to get a deeper sub that can handle more power. Just a thought.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The 1 alpine type s 12" sub i have in my custom box really hit hard and only had 400w, i could tell it wanted more. When i swap it to my 16 ill use a mono 500w amp this time around

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Thanks, reason I was thinking 10 is I have depth but every sub is different and depending on magnets/sub frame could hit box where it molds to rear under seat area. I had some bigger subs I tried in there before and they barely fit, had to move them just perfect to not hit box. A 10 possible to get a deeper sub that can handle more power. Just a thought.

I understand your thinking, I am a firm believer that one should get as much cone area as they can physically fit, but there are exceptions. With that being said, you could also get two 10's with your available air space. However, I would still buy a really nice 12" sub versus two mediocre 10's...both options should provide more than enough sub bass for the average listener, but the higher end sub should sound better as long as the enclosure is appropriate .......so many options lol

OP
OP
rotwiler

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Seen the Alpine pair of Alpine S-W12D2, requires around 1.6 airspace for 2 and for sure would fit. Handles max 1200 watts for pair. Might be a good choice and fairly shallow for a sub.