Success lowering trans temp with @chaulk04 mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's considered too hot for the 1500 8HP50 etc?
220°F was "acceptable" at the top of the range for the 6R80.
Not towing my Ram was running 81-82°C which is low 180s in weather around the freezing mark on the highway.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's considered too hot for the 1500 8HP50 etc?
220°F was "acceptable" at the top of the range for the 6R80.
Not towing my Ram was running 81-82°C which is low 180s in weather around the freezing mark on the highway.
Why on Earth would anyone want or accept 220 degrees of ATF temperature? Or, consider it "Acceptable"?
At that blistering temperature, the additives are rapidly deteriorating, the polymer base of the fluid (this gives the fluid dual weight properties) is declining, and the friction coefficiency necessary to this fluid is compromised. This leads to a burned up transmission in the short run.

Keep in mind what the long end game is for the manufacturer. That is to keep the consumer perpetually in debt over a depreciating liability.

This is accomplished largely through media, social proof, and the unspoken insinuation that, eventually, one will be free of financial burden regarding their vehicle(s).

Many is the time that I've had repair customers emote their frustration at car repair/ maintenance costs.
Many is the time that I witness customers choose to get rid of a relatively young car because it needs 3 or 4 grand in repair work, only to spend north of 30 grand NOT to spend a few grand.

An ounce of Prevention is worth a pound of Cure. Hmm... who said that? All 4 of my grandparents did. They all lived in the Great Depression and WW2. Old wisdom which applies in every aspect of our current modern lives!

Blow raspberries at those long game playing Auto manufacturers! Put as many advantages as you possibly can (within reason) to your benefit!

Keep your transmission cool! Add an auxiliary cooler. NEVER TOW IN OVERDRIVE!!!!!!! Use your Tow/Haul mode EVERY time you either load the vehicle to the hilt and/ or tow!

Peace! :)

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool.
I'm asking questions tho and didn't get an answer.
I follow the severe service schedule for my vehicles.
I'd like to know what is considered "too high" for the ZF 8HP50 since this truck has actual temp read outs and not a 4 position slow sweep gauge like my F150 did I am able to keep an eye on temps.

*Edit* what I'm asking here is there some sort of published numbers from the manufacturer to reference? If so, where can I find it.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cool.
I'm asking questions tho and didn't get an answer.
I follow the severe service schedule for my vehicles.
I'd like to know what is considered "too high" for the ZF 8HP50 since this truck has actual temp read outs and not a 4 position slow sweep gauge like my F150 did I am able to keep an eye on temps.

*Edit* what I'm asking here is there some sort of published numbers from the manufacturer to reference? If so, where can I find it.

The manufacturer tells us the change the motor oil at 10K km or 10K miles for the US.

They also tell us that the transmission fluid does not need to be changed.

I wouldn't trust anything they say on the topic and would advise you reconsider if you're prepared to follow their recommendations.

The bottom line is excessive heat will kill the additives in the tranny oil and should be avoided. Also, the tranny manufacturer (not FCA) has specified a fluid change between 130K & 150K kms, IIRC. AFAIK, many members choose to change at about 60K miles.

There are endless posts and threads discussing this topic on Ram Forum.

Try the search utility in the upper right side for more info.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The manufacturer tells us the change the motor oil at 10K km or 10K miles for the US.

They also tell us that the transmission fluid does not need to be changed.

I wouldn't trust anything they say on the topic and would advise you reconsider if you're prepared to follow their recommendations.

The bottom line is excessive heat will kill the additives in the tranny oil and should be avoided. Also, the tranny manufacturer (not FCA) has specified a fluid change between 130K & 150K kms, IIRC. AFAIK, many members choose to change at about 60K miles.

There are endless posts and threads discussing this topic on Ram Forum.

Try the search utility in the upper right side for more info.

Well put!

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Found a couple threads where others said trans temp stayed below 200°F and coolant got as high as 240°F.
Nobody jumped on to lecture them so I'll assume that's normal temps and carry on.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found a couple threads where others said trans temp stayed below 200°F and coolant got as high as 240°F.
Nobody jumped on to lecture them so I'll assume that's normal temps and carry on.

This thread has lots of interesting discussions on this topic and might assist you in determining exactly where your comfort level is with the tranny temps.

The thread is a bit long, 66 pages, but contains great info. I'd suggest reading every post in the first 2 pages, to construct a good foundation on the topic, and possibly skimming from there on.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you use the temps the 8 speed runs at in the Heavy Duty 3/4 ton trucks,i'd say the ideal temp is around 160/165.I've never seen anything from either ZF or Stellentis mentioning an ideal temperature,so all we have to go off,is what the HD trucks run the transmission at,not the 1500's which pre-heat the transmission fluid.Little tidbit for you,only the 1500's use the thermal management heater on the side of the 8 speed,the 5.7 and 6.4 cars and the HD trucks don't use the pre-heater.
Cruising around back roads at 50 mph on a summer evening,my wifes 1320 Challenger which has a factory high stall convertor and transmission brake in it's 8HP70 runs between 150 and 155,even at 80+ mph on a 90 degree day,it just barely gets to 170 on a 2.5 hour trip.
Also there does seem to be some descrepancy between the transmission thermostats in the 1500's,some trucks will run right around 180,while the next virtually identical truck will run at 190+ on transmission temps,which leads me to think the quality control on the transmissions thermostats,isn't all that great

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
You can make your own decisions based on how long you want the trans to last. You can either get the temp down or more frequent services. I'm happy my trans runs at 165°f.
If you're a person that trades it in before the warranty is up it probably doesn't matter to you. But I tend to keep vehicles for well past and upwards of 200k miles.

Screenshot_20231128_142029_Chrome.jpg

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can make your own decisions based on how long you want the trans to last. You can either get the temp down or more frequent services. I'm happy my trans runs at 165°f.
If you're a person that trades it in before the warranty is up it probably doesn't matter to you. But I tend to keep vehicles for well past and upwards of 200k miles.

View attachment 532483
This chart is helpful.

So I'm curious to why the OEMs are designing trucks to keep transmission temps in the 180-190 range?

I have many years and two 6R80 transmission Ford's to draw from and the dials "normal" temp range was 50-220° F.
I added the OEM aux transmission cooler to my F150, my Transit had one from factory.
I changed the fluid at 92,000KM on the F150 and at I want to say 65,000km on the Transit.
Neither had shifting issues nor did the temp rise past the normal zone when towing. With that wide range in "normal" tho really tough to say what the actual temp was.

My Ram is brand new, I have just over 5000km on it now. If my Temps not towing are in the 180s, how exactly would I even begin to get it down without adding non factory parts etc right off the get go? I guess at this point I'll see what the temperature is in the spring once I'm towing, and if it stays in the 180s I'll carry on.

Don't have any Chevy or Toyota information to draw on here, but if every newer truck is running 180-200°F when towing, is there some sort of OEM conspiracy to kill transmissions?

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I asked about what is an ideal temp for the 8HP70, since I don't have tons of experience with it and Ford claimed a temp range of up to 220°F as "normal" in it's temp range for the 6R80. And a guy jumps on to telle how ludicrous that is like I designed the damned transmission and personally certified the temp instead of answering the question.
Real friendly bunch here so I appreciate your helpful response with information.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This chart is helpful.

So I'm curious to why the OEMs are designing trucks to keep transmission temps in the 180-190 range?

I have many years and two 6R80 transmission Ford's to draw from and the dials "normal" temp range was 50-220° F.
I added the OEM aux transmission cooler to my F150, my Transit had one from factory.
I changed the fluid at 92,000KM on the F150 and at I want to say 65,000km on the Transit.
Neither had shifting issues nor did the temp rise past the normal zone when towing. With that wide range in "normal" tho really tough to say what the actual temp was.

My Ram is brand new, I have just over 5000km on it now. If my Temps not towing are in the 180s, how exactly would I even begin to get it down without adding non factory parts etc right off the get go? I guess at this point I'll see what the temperature is in the spring once I'm towing, and if it stays in the 180s I'll carry on.

Don't have any Chevy or Toyota information to draw on here, but if every newer truck is running 180-200°F when towing, is there some sort of OEM conspiracy to kill transmissions?

U.S. EPA CAFE mandates = government regulations.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This chart is helpful.

Once upon a time, water heaters were made without pressure relief valves AND installed right in the bathroom adjacent to the bath tub. My mother nearly died as an infant in the early 1930's when her mother laid her next to the water heater to dry/ dress her. The water heater consumed all the oxygen in close proximity and my mom turned blue and stopped breathing. My grandmother's screams brought my grandfather up the stairs 2 at a time, so the story was told to me. Mom spent a few days under an oxygen tent in the St. Joseph's Hospital in Downtown Houston... and survived well.

Although high temperature transmission failures certainly don't present as hazardous to human health, the point is: What was once accepted engineering was changed for a variety of good reasons. So, just because a dial face shows a range of temps doesn't mean much.

And, yes, there IS a sort of "conspiracy". That being to make vehicles much shorter in life span to force consumers to buy new cars.... after all, those folks want to keep their jobs!

In summary, trans fluid will work happily in the 150 degree area and last for a VERY long time.... and not char-broil your tranny before it's time! :)

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Once upon a time, water heaters were made without pressure relief valves AND installed right in the bathroom adjacent to the bath tub. My mother nearly died as an infant in the early 1930's when her mother laid her next to the water heater to dry/ dress her. The water heater consumed all the oxygen in close proximity and my mom turned blue and stopped breathing. My grandmother's screams brought my grandfather up the stairs 2 at a time, so the story was told to me. Mom spent a few days under an oxygen tent in the St. Joseph's Hospital in Downtown Houston... and survived well.

Although high temperature transmission failures certainly don't present as hazardous to human health, the point is: What was once accepted engineering was changed for a variety of good reasons. So, just because a dial face shows a range of temps doesn't mean much.

And, yes, there IS a sort of "conspiracy". That being to make vehicles much shorter in life span to force consumers to buy new cars.... after all, those folks want to keep their jobs!

In summary, trans fluid will work happily in the 150 degree area and last for a VERY long time.... and not char-broil your tranny before it's time! :)
So a 1800s designed natural draft water heater (presumably natural draft by the timeline given) without a T&P valve (irrelevant note to the rest of the story) somehow used up all of the available oxygen in the room without roll out, to the point of suffocating an infant child, and this is your response to questions about automatic transmissions designed and built in the last couple of decades?

Are you legit trolling me?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So a 1800s designed natural draft water heater (presumably natural draft by the timeline given) without a T&P valve (irrelevant note to the rest of the story) somehow used up all of the available oxygen in the room without roll out, to the point of suffocating an infant child, and this is your response to questions about automatic transmissions designed and built in the last couple of decades?

Sometimes our posts diverge from the original topic or even from reality.

This is just the nature of forum life.

Enjoy the adventure and be happy. :cool:

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As has been pointed out repeatedly here, other vehicles (and there are many) using the ZF aren't superheating the ATF and seem to be getting along fine.

Ram is just trying to meet CAFE standards by thinning the fluid which apparently yields slightly better mileage.

Neither the EPA or Stellantis are concerned about long term consequences to the ZF in the 1500.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Dude get over yourself,this is the way alot of threads transpire,either learn to accept it,or don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out. You aren't that important to be trolled :Big Laugh:
Sherms one of the better posters on here