SUNCOAST 8HP70 CATEGORY 1 REBUILD KIT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anybody install this kit or have more detail on it? Is this the kit that bumps up the 8hp70 to handle 1200hp & 1000tq?

May try this rebuild myself when I look to drop in the 6.4 bge long bock from mmx. Was looking at the cammed long block, but if this kit is what I think it is, sure makes it tempting to try and stretch the budget for the 454 stroker.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anybody install this kit or have more detail on it? Is this the kit that bumps up the 8hp70 to handle 1200hp & 1000tq?

May try this rebuild myself when I look to drop in the 6.4 bge long bock from mmx. Was looking at the cammed long block, but if this kit is what I think it is, sure makes it tempting to try and stretch the budget for the 454 stroker.
Find your local Snap-on / Mac / Matco dealer and buy the proper tools to tear your 70 apart.It takes a few specialized tools to disassenble the 8 speed.

Got a link to the Sun coast kit? If it's similiar to what TCS sells,it just bumps the 70 up to the 75's specs from what i've gathered up.

You might want to look into a Zip Kit to.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find your local Snap-on / Mac / Matco dealer and buy the proper tools to tear your 70 apart.It takes a few specialized tools to disassenble the 8 speed.

Got a link to the Sun coast kit? If it's similiar to what TCS sells,it just bumps the 70 up to the 75's specs from what i've gathered up.

You might want to look into a Zip Kit to.

Sweet. Don't have to tell me twice for an excuse to pickup some snap-on tools lol.

Sorry, forgot to post the link.
About $3k with a pump, Zip kit, and TC w/ a bullet stator. I honestly had no idea wtf the zip kit was, but @ $130 to add on, figured I'd want it lol. At the bottom of the description, I thought it said this kit in an 8hp90 hellcat was running 9.09 in the 1/4, but looks like it's just the torque converter. Sounds like it may be the Circle D torque converter? But I didn't hink CD offered stall speeds as low as they have listed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Sweet. Don't have to tell me twice for an excuse to pickup some snap-on tools lol.

Sorry, forgot to post the link.
About $3k with a pump, Zip kit, and TC w/ a bullet stator. I honestly had no idea wtf the zip kit was, but @ $130 to add on, figured I'd want it lol. At the bottom of the description, I thought it said this kit in an 8hp90 hellcat was running 9.09 in the 1/4, but looks like it's just the torque converter. Sounds like it may be the Circle D torque converter? But I didn't hink CD offered stall speeds as low as they have listed.
It's not a bad price if it comes with a convertor,the only thing i don't see is the extra disc's and steels that come in the TCS kit.
I don't think this is the 1,200 horse upgrade though,but i could be wrong.I'd give them a phone call and see what they say,before buying it . Do you already have the PPE pan,if not,it's another option to look into.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not a bad price if it comes with a convertor,the only thing i don't see is the extra disc's and steels that come in the TCS kit.
I don't think this is the 1,200 horse upgrade though,but i could be wrong.I'd give them a phone call and see what they say,before buying it . Do you already have the PPE pan,if not,it's another option to look into.
Yeah, I figured I'd have to call them since a forum search didn't yield any results. Was just hoping on the off chance that someone may know about the kit.

If it's just the bump up to the 8hp75 specs, not really worth the money to me at the moment and I'll just go with the built 6.4 bge long block. Spending $6k is a bit out of the budget for the beefed up tyran to handle 1k torque. I may have been able to talk myself into it for half the price with the TC.

I don't have the ppe pan, just swapped to a dorman pan recently since I was thinking I was going to sell the truck. Will probably go ppe if I tear into it again. May do another coolant swap at the same time anyway.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, I figured I'd have to call them since a forum search didn't yield any results. Was just hoping on the off chance that someone may know about the kit.

If it's just the bump up to the 8hp75 specs, not really worth the money to me at the moment and I'll just go with the built 6.4 bge long block. Spending $6k is a bit out of the budget for the beefed up tyran to handle 1k torque. I may have been able to talk myself into it for half the price with the TC.

I don't have the ppe pan, just swapped to a dorman pan recently since I was thinking I was going to sell the truck. Will probably go ppe if I tear into it again. May do another coolant swap at the same time anyway.
With a good transmission tune,the 70's are living to about the 650/700 rwhp mark.That's with a good tune though,the 2 big truck tuners are not the guys you want tuning it to keep the tranny alive

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With a good transmission tune,the 70's are living to about the 650/700 rwhp mark.That's with a good tune though,the 2 big truck tuners are not the guys you want tuning it to keep the tranny alive
No kidding, huh. Any recommendations and do they do email tunes, or does this level of advanced tuning require in person dyno then?

That I guess creates an interesting debate. Which becomes the better choice... 6.4 454 camed long block or 6.4 392 camed longblock with a whipple? Similar prices... Maybe some other setup forged. Got my head spinning now lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No kidding, huh. Any recommendations and do they do email tunes, or does this level of advanced tuning require in person dyno then?

That I guess creates an interesting debate. Which becomes the better choice... 6.4 454 camed long block or 6.4 392 camed longblock with a whipple? Similar prices... Maybe some other setup forged. Got my head spinning now lol
That's your call,but you'll want to price things out,and examine what you have for a budget to build the combo you want,and to maintain it.Things are gonna break ,especially if you drive it to enjoy it,and make sure to keep that in the back of your mind.It takes a ****load of money to play with the big boys,and keep things running.Building a 7or 800 horse 422 or 426 is usually the cheapest part of a build,keeping it mobile and running after it's built can be very expensive.Be realistic with what you want,and what you can actually afford, is about all i can offer

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's your call,but you'll want to price things out,and examine what you have for a budget to build the combo you want,and to maintain it.Things are gonna break ,especially if you drive it to enjoy it,and make sure to keep that in the back of your mind.It takes a ****load of money to play with the bigb boys,and keep things running.Building a 7or 800 horse 422 or 426 is usually the cheapest part of a build,keeping it mobile and running after it's built can be very expensive.Be realistic with what you want,and what you can actually afford, is about all i can offer
For sure. Need to sit down and spend some time thinking through it. There'd certainly be various stages and pros/cons to each build opportunity. The truck will be a DD still for the time being, so nothing too crazy. Knowing myself, I'll always want more, but probably be happy for a bit, and even longer with a bit more lol. If I can find that sweet spot right before the heavy maintenance costs, like you stated, with the opportunity to add down the road with the supporting big investment pieces, that would be ideal. Last week I had my eyes set on the cammed 6.4 bge long block. Just got my wheels spinning thinking about 3k more going with forged internals on the same longblock now or maybe spending the additional 8k upfront for a stroker.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
For sure. Need to sit down and spend some time thinking through it. There'd certainly be various stages and pros/cons to each build opportunity. The truck will be a DD still for the time being, so nothing too crazy. Knowing myself, I'll always want more, but probably be happy for a bit, and even longer with a bit more lol. If I can find that sweet spot right before the heavy maintenance costs, like you stated, with the opportunity to add down the road with the supporting big investment pieces, that would be ideal. Last week I had my eyes set on the cammed 6.4 bge long block. Just got my wheels spinning thinking about 3k more going with forged internals on the same longblock now or maybe spending the additional 8k upfront for a stroker.
The biggest thing to think about is ,can you afford to have it down waiting for parts if it does break.Nobody wants to think about things breaking but it's a fact of life. If you drive it to enjoy it,there's a good chance something will eventually break.
My little 4X4 which only runs DA corrected 11.40's is on it's 3rd rear-end and second 8 speed. FCA warrentied the first 2 rearends,then i sucked it up and bought another complete rear diff assembly and rebuilt it with 3.55's and a True Trac. The brand new 8 speed was out of my pocket,and took 2 weeks to get,and that was before the pandemic,now it's probably a month or longer wait for a new transmission.So if it breaks,can you afford to be with-out the truck waiting on parts.Make sure you have a back-up plan , ie:another vehicle to use if it's down and you have to wait for parts

Last edited:

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The biggest thing to think about is ,can you afford to have it down waiting for parts if it does break.Nobody wants to think about things breaking but it's a fact of life. If you drive it to enjoy it,there's a good chance something will eventually break.
My little 4X4 which only runs DA corrected 11.40's is on it's 3rd rear-end and second 8 speed. FCA warrentied the first 2 rearends,then i sucked it up and bought another complete rear diff assembly and rebuilt it with 3.55's and a True Trac. The brand new 8 speed was out of my pocket,and took 2 weeks to get,and that was before the pandemic,now it's probably a month or longer wait for a new transmission.So if it breaks,can you afford to be with-out the truck waiting on parts.Make sure you have a back-up plan , ie:another vehicle to use if it's down and you have to wait for parts

Time for a Dana 60 at both ends? What's the story on 8HPs not lasting with hard parts, race clutches, and loads of pressure? Does the valvebody leak?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Time for a Dana 60 at both ends? What's the story on 8HPs not lasting with hard parts, race clutches, and loads of pressure? Does the valvebody leak?
Yea no,lol. Do you know how much power a 60 absorbs and how much it weighes,i ain't crawling rocks,i'm drag racing the truck,lol.I haven't had any issues with cooking the limited slip since going to a True Trac.The 70 can be beefed up a fair bit now,back when i cooked mine,there wasn't anything out yet as far as billet drums/extra clutches /steels etc. But you'll lighten your wallet by a bunch building one.

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yea no,lol. Do you know how much power a 60 absorbs and how much it weighes,i ain't crawling rocks,i'm drag racing the truck,lol.I haven't had any issues with cooking the limited slip since going to a True Trac.The 70 can be beefed up a fair bit now,back when i cooked mine,there wasn't anything out yet as far as billet drums/extra clutches /steels etc. But you'll lighten your wallet by a bunch building one.

60s are full floating... there is cool points there...

How'd you cook your diff? Clutches spin? I'll be looking for aggressive materials if mine acts up.

And yeah the 70... hmm... I wouldn't build it without some stupid mean clutches, treated steels, and some steel parts, but I've seen the prices and they are insane. Gotta wonder what has been done to achieve the 900nm torque rating on the 90s. I could harden one up just like anything else, but man those rebuild kits and hard parts are nuts expensive.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
60s are full floating... there is cool points there...

How'd you cook your diff? Clutches spin? I'll be looking for aggressive materials if mine acts up.

And yeah the 70... hmm... I wouldn't build it without some stupid mean clutches, treated steels, and some steel parts, but I've seen the prices and they are insane. Gotta wonder what has been done to achieve the 900nm torque rating on the 90s. I could harden one up just like anything else, but man those rebuild kits and hard parts are nuts expensive.
The stock limited slip isn't really rebuild-able,you're better off upgrading to the True Trac posi.The clutches in the stock limited slip don't care much for water boxes and drag radials,lol.The 70 can be upgraded to handle a bunch of power,but in the long run,you might be farther ahead doing a HP90 or HP95 swap,there is the HP75 out of the 5th Gens which is another possibility

StickyLifter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The stock limited slip isn't really rebuild-able,you're better off upgrading to the True Trac posi.The clutches in the stock limited slip don't care much for water boxes and drag radials,lol.The 70 can be upgraded to handle a bunch of power,but in the long run,you might be farther ahead doing a HP90 or HP95 swap,there is the HP75 out of the 5th Gens which is another possibility

I removed and inspected the clutches and steels in mine when I was checking the gears due to noise. I see friction packs available for it.

Wonder what the real differences are between the 70, 75, 90, and 95? My 65RFE needed both programing from HemiFever and a Sonnax lime pressure booster, but it shifts firmly now. Probably leaks all through the valve body, but it will bark 2nd.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Spent some time searching on the forum and edjumacated myself on the truetrac. The one question I came out with... Does the truetrac actually help cut your 60' time or is it just something that helps from losing 60' time? In other words, if you're running drags or getting full traction, not slipping, that you're just not losing 60' time, plus putting that excess load on the existing lsd?

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Spent some time searching on the forum and edjumacated myself on the truetrac. The one question I came out with... Does the truetrac actually help cut your 60' time or is it just something that helps from losing 60' time? In other words, if you're running drags or getting full traction, not slipping, that you're just not losing 60' time, plus putting that excess load on the existing lsd?
It won't change your 60ft if you're already hooking,it's just a more robust limited slip.The stock limited slips are pretty light duty,and won't take much abuse before they quit being a limited slip and act more like an open diff

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It won't change your 60ft if you're already hooking,it's just a more robust limited slip.The stock limited slips are pretty light duty,and won't take much abuse before they quit being a limited slip and act more like an open diff
Thanks for the wisdom. I'll keep that budgeted appropriately. Anything else besides the diff and tranny that is typically needed to be considered?
Edit: other than the engine itself lol

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@Wild one , I finally took a minute email Suncoast. They said this kit is rated at "750/850HP reliably". They also build their torque converter in house and require a core to be sent first. They actually do sell a rebuild kit and tq converter separately as well. $1,400 for the converter and $1k for just the rebuild kit.

Edit: Did confirm ratings were rwhp.

Last edited:

Tyler Yates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What two are you referring to?