Suspension upgrade time, what springs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I currently run a Rough Country 1.5" lift spacers in the front with 0.75" spacers in the rear. The ride is pretty terrible, and I'm 99.99% sure these shocks are shot at this point.

I'm thinking of Bilstein 5100's all the way around, Zone UCA's, and potentially springs. I have no idea what springs to buy though. I'd be running the Bilsteins at 2.9" up front and maintaining my 0.75" spacer in the rear.

So whats suggested? I drive a LOT (47 miles 1 way to work daily) and hope the Bilsteins pr ovoid a better ride with some springs as well.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Icon or eibach rear springs are both around 1” lift. I’d leave the lift around 2.1. Some people feel like the ride is stiffer at 2.8. I like the 5100 struts and shocks. My truck handles decently off road and very well on road for a cheap upgrade. Feels more planted than Stock. Less spongy feeling
Edit: I’m running eibach coils front and rear paired with bilstein 5100 all the way around. Running at 2.5” lift up front from the eibach coils and about 1-1/8” from the rear coils. Plus I’m using a 1/2” rough country lift spacer over the struts. My total lift is 3/1. The second picture is 3/1. The first picture is 2.5/1 prior to me installing the rough country spacers. I don't recommend stacking unless you do lots of research and test your vehicle as all vehicles respond differently. I’m running 35s as well with this setup.

1A22ED94-BD65-4690-86F7-CE45C353CA23.jpeg

814D93E5-395C-48E0-B0AA-91C6AF7F88F2.jpeg

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Icon or eibach rear springs are both around 1” lift. I’d leave the lift around 2.1. Some people feel like the ride is stiffer at 2.8. I like the 5100 struts and shocks. My truck handles decently off road and very well on road for a cheap upgrade. Feels more planted than Stock. Less spongy feeling
Edit: I’m running eibach coils front and rear paired with bilstein 5100 all the way around. Running at 2.5” lift up front from the eibach coils and about 1-1/8” from the rear coils. Plus I’m using a 1/2” rough country lift spacer over the struts. My total lift is 3/1. The second picture is 3/1. The first picture is 2.5/1 prior to me installing the rough country spacers. I don't recommend stacking unless you do lots of research and test your vehicle as all vehicles respond differently. I’m running 35s as well with this setup.

View attachment 202273

View attachment 202274

So your running Bilstein struts/shocks, Eibach coils front and rear? I'm trying to avoid the 1.5" spacer from the Rough Country lift up front, but I'd run it if it gave me the "Level" look. Right now with the front spacer and .5 in the rear I'm still at about stock rake and I hate it. Higher would be better if its in the financial cards lol

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you know how much rake your truck had stock would be your best bet. Get rid of the spacer. Spacers are not really good. You can’t really go over 3” on stock suspension before really pushing parts. Bilstein at 2.8 may suit your needs with a small rear spacer. Rear spacers aren’t really a problem due to the different suspension setup. You could run the bilsteins at 2.8. Get new upper control arms. Rough country or zone are decent. Then depending on how the truck sits with your existing rear spacer go from there

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you know how much rake your truck had stock would be your best bet. Get rid of the spacer. Spacers are not really good. You can’t really go over 3” on stock suspension before really pushing parts. Bilstein at 2.8 may suit your needs with a small rear spacer. Rear spacers aren’t really a problem due to the different suspension setup. You could run the bilsteins at 2.8. Get new upper control arms. Rough country or zone are decent. Then depending on how the truck sits with your existing rear spacer go from there
I'll go that route. Looking through threads on here it doesnt seem like everyone swaps springs, they run there stock springs no problem. With the miles on my truck I'm wondering if I should, or save the money now.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles on your truck? Do you plan on doing it yourself? If you do bilstein remember the washer goes on the strut before the top spring perch does. Eibach also makes struts and shocks too. I know a few people on here run them. Oddly not as many people know about them. If you buy the eibach the shaft is larger so they don’t use a washer.
https://eibach.com/us/e60-27-001-04-10-2011-2014-ram-1500-pro-truck-sport-shock

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How many miles on your truck? Do you plan on doing it yourself? If you do bilstein remember the washer goes on the strut before the top spring perch does. Eibach also makes struts and shocks too. I know a few people on here run them. Oddly not as many people know about them. If you buy the eibach the shaft is larger so they don’t use a washer.
https://eibach.com/us/e60-27-001-04-10-2011-2014-ram-1500-pro-truck-sport-shock
Sheesh, maybe I will go all eibach if I can find reviews that they compare to Bilstein. I have 92k on my truck, I feel like I should replace the springs lol

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's your budget?

What makes you think your stock coils need replacing?

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What's your budget?

I agree ... 120k on my 2012, and the springs are fine ... Bils up front at 1.4 with Zone 4” lift ... 3” in the rear, and I just put Pro Comp shocks back there, and that was a huge improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's your budget?

I'm trying to stay on the low side of things, otherwise a full 4" lift would be in order. I'd say I'm pretty flexible money wise, but I won't want to get carried away. Think, best bang for your buck lol

I have no idea if my stock springs need to be replaced, I'm still wondering if they even need to be replaced.

Last edited:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just go with the rear bilstein shocks, front adjustable bilstein struts and zone control arms like you planned and you should be fine. This will save you some money which is good because at 92k miles it's possible you could need new lower control arms and/or tie rods, sway bar end links etc.