swapping a 04 4.7 into a 02 4.7 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

apache1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello there, new here. just looking for some guidance on a swap I'm looking to do. i currently have an 02 ram 1500 with a 4.7 that needs a head gasket. I've located a motor out of a 04 ram 1500 with a 4.7. i want to know how compatible this swap would be? am i looking for more of a headache doing this or should i just do the head gaskets? lol the motor I've found to swap is coming out of a truck that was in limp mode and wouldn't rev up. i know that's kind of a red flag, but that motor is 100$ and figured what the hell

any advice would be greatly appreciated

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the block and heads are the same would bolt right up however I forget what year the tone ring and timing chains where changed. You possibly would have to change the tone ring with the one on your old crank and use the chains which I have done not that big of a deal but you have to tear motor down. To be honest if the motor in the truck ran good otherwise and doesn't have like 300k on it i would just throw new head gaskets on and change the timing tensioners as they fail a lot on these.

OP
OP
A

apache1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the block and heads are the same would bolt right up however I forget what year the tone ring and timing chains where changed. You possibly would have to change the tone ring with the one on your old crank and use the chains which I have done not that big of a deal but you have to tear motor down. To be honest if the motor in the truck ran good otherwise and doesn't have like 300k on it i would just throw new head gaskets on and change the timing tensioners as they fail a lot on these.
I have found that one head has a crack and there's a valve that has dropped. This was discovered before there was any major damage.

I'm fair certain this is a stock 4.7 (just waiting to verify with my mechanic). locally, i have found some cylinder heads that are HIGH OUTPUT. The guy who owns them told me he repaired and replaced the valve seats and ported and polished the heads.

What were the differences between stock and HO? Could this be the best option to go with. I have one of the heads off of the block now