Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@69GWC

For the record Sir ,please state your oil type & weight .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the trucks with the 8 speed xsmn have a higher engine oil temp then the 6 speed???
Maybe it's because the xsmn runs so much hotter ?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Could not say, I ran my truck hard the day it was at 221* and drove it normal for me to get the 217* .
I also drive it in tow haul pretty much all the time.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the trucks with the 8 speed xsmn have a higher engine oil temp then the 6 speed???
Maybe it's because the xsmn runs so much hotter ?

I don't know, maybe if you're working that 8 speed. Most of the time I'm worried about mine not getting hot enough. Even in the summer mine usually tops out around 215 to 217. Now that it's got colder 205 to 208.
Now I'll agree the 8 speed deffinately runs hotter than the 6 speed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well in the summer I'm lucky to get my eng. oil temp up to the low 200's , unless towing or driving in the mountains up long steep grades and even then I really struggle to get to 212°f.

Today it was 39° OAT , I drove a 37 mile round trip & the highest my oil temp ever got was 184°f ...

This is the only gripe I have with Redline oil , (30 wt spacifically [emoji41]) it's hard to get it hot enough to burn off normal condensation. I never have ( much ) conensation in my OCC ...? see pic below .

I do think having the 8speed attached to the ass end of the engine and being approximately 50- 60° hotter does allow the engine to obtain more heat and in turn raising the sumpcase oil temperature a bit (10-14°)??

50e3eaac6042e45df57e086ec8b64396.jpg

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well in the summer I'm lucky to get my eng. oil temp up to the low 200's , unless towing or driving in the mountains up long steep grades and even then I really struggle to get to 212°f.

Today it was 39° OAT , I drove a 37 mile round trip & the highest my oil temp ever got was 184°f ...

This is the only gripe I have with Redline oil , (30 wt spacifically [emoji41]) it's hard to get it hot enough to burn off normal condensation. I never have ( much ) conensation in my OCC ...? see pic below .

I do think having the 8speed attached to the ass end of the engine and being approximately 50- 60° hotter does allow the engine to obtain more heat and in turn raising the sumpcase oil temperature a bit (10-14°)??

50e3eaac6042e45df57e086ec8b64396.jpg

Has you're temps always been like that or just since you've been mixing 5/30 and 10/30?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good Question Sir , but it's always been like that with 30 wt .

I ran PUP 30 & 40 wt mixed 50/ 50 and my temps were higher , much easier to get above 212°

I'm thinking it's more the ester base of Redline oil , because I ran Redline 30 & 40 wt mixture ( which is much thicker than PUP) and I struggled to get my oil temps up then as well ...Ester Base ??

I can certainly say the free dealer 20 wt oil changes ran much warmer for me .

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Question Sir , but it's always been like that with 30 wt .

I ran PUP 30 & 40 wt mixed 50/ 50 and my temps were higher , much easier to get above 212°

I'm thinking it's more the ester base of Redline oil , because I ran Redline 30 & 40 wt mixture ( which is much thicker than PUP) and I struggled to get my oil temps up then as well ...Ester Base ??

I can certainly say rhe free dealer 20 wt oil changes ran much warmer for me .

Oh yeah, the 30 wt deffinately runs cooler than the 20 wt.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hammerhead theory is correct guys, maybe oil temp was a little high from other factors.
Knowledge comes from reading & teaching from those with experience.

Bearing Clearances - Engine Builder Magazine

I can't take the credit my friend, everything I have learned is from the mechanical engineer test site.
I want you to ask yourself one question; Why? Why would people reject testing data like this? His credentials are at the intro of his site and his testing data is extensive. Bound in science and chemistry. So Why? That was the question I asked myself when they started with the name calling and insults. I came to 2 conclusions. Ego and entertainment!!!!!
Entertainment: this forum provides they with the ability to talk trash without the consequences of standing toe to toe with a man.
Ego: they have been preaching bogus information for years and can't admit they are wrong.
Burla will post thies long posts trying to discredit the information I post; but I'm just the messenger. He's rea.ly trying to discredit science and chemistry. Who do you think will win that battle?
This guy has NASCAR teams coming to him for oil advice, and thies guys are sitting behind a computer picking their crack insulting people. What does that say to you?
They post used oil analysis and talk about the collective experience of the group, and that's my point. Experiences form opinions, nothing more. Science dosent card about opinions, and that's their struggle.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Ramnewbie ,

Yep 30 wt is definitely the way to go , better oil film & cooler running oil than the 20 wt .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My profile is completely different now ???
It doesn't even state what year my Truck is or engine type [emoji36][emoji36]this is what I look for when looking at others profile [emoji36][emoji36]uhg

WTF is a trophy point ??

5b872cf597a62452a37b93fbd4be20cd.jpg

This part of the profile I think still looks the same ??c959e073ceb19dcc6d196fd1dd539109.jpg

Last edited:

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't take the credit my friend, everything I have learned is from the mechanical engineer test site.
I want you to ask yourself one question; Why? Why would people reject testing data like this? His credentials are at the intro of his site and his testing data is extensive. Bound in science and chemistry. So Why? That was the question I asked myself when they started with the name calling and insults. I came to 2 conclusions. Ego and entertainment!!!!!
Entertainment: this forum provides they with the ability to talk trash without the consequences of standing toe to toe with a man.
Ego: they have been preaching bogus information for years and can't admit they are wrong.
Burla will post thies long posts trying to discredit the information I post; but I'm just the messenger. He's rea.ly trying to discredit science and chemistry. Who do you think will win that battle?
This guy has NASCAR teams coming to him for oil advice, and thies guys are sitting behind a computer picking their crack insulting people. What does that say to you?
They post used oil analysis and talk about the collective experience of the group, and that's my point. Experiences form opinions, nothing more. Science dosent card about opinions, and that's their struggle.
That's fine, lab testing is good to a point. It doesn't take into account the heat cycles an oil goes thru during an OCI or it interaction with the different metals in the engine, not to mention the contaminates it picks up along the way and how it deals with it. Lab testing has its place, but it's not the total answer.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree ^^^^^^

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Well I don't post that much, don't really care what others think of my opinions.
Just link to the facts, they can chose what they want to do.

Ya never did tell me what kind of racing was done in the mountains.............

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I don't post that much, don't really care what others think of my opinions.
Just link to the facts, they can chose what they want to do.

Ya never did tell me what kind of racing was done in the mountains.............
Running shine

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My profile is completely different now ???
It doesn't even state what year my Truck is or engine type [emoji36][emoji36]this is what I look for when looking at others profile [emoji36][emoji36]uhg

WTF is a trophy point ??

5b872cf597a62452a37b93fbd4be20cd.jpg

This part of the profile I think still looks the same ??c959e073ceb19dcc6d196fd1dd539109.jpg
Anyone know what "Trophy Points" are?? Just noticed that...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hate participation trophies !! If your a fat , slow , weak, crybaby looser ...you deserve no trophy...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca