Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
there is a ''super'' synthetic oil making the rounds from mobil, called full synthetic ''super'' oil....comes in a whtie case with grey lettering......anybody seen it?? 15 bucks cheaper than the m 1 I've been using.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
there is a ''super'' synthetic oil making the rounds from mobil, called full synthetic ''super'' oil....comes in a whtie case with grey lettering......anybody seen it?? 15 bucks cheaper than the m 1 I've been using.
I have seen it before I think it was at Fleet Farm but I can’t remember and don’t live near one any longer. Where did you see it?

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That super syn has been out for awhile, in fact the 5/20 in that flavor is the only Mobil oil that is ms6395 certified. We have it at advance auto parts but it's not a big seller at all, most that use Mobil use some version of Mobil1.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I have seen it before I think it was at Fleet Farm but I can’t remember and don’t live near one any longer. Where did you see it?
bj's wholesale club...prolly at others I would imagine, I'd love to see a breakdown of it.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just an FYI

The cold flow if Mobil “super” is not that good. If i remember correctly, It was one if the oils in the cold flow test posted on the other thread. Even if your not in a cold climate and are not worried about cold flow it is still not a good characteristic of a “synthetic” oil.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI

The cold flow if Mobil “super” is not that good. If i remember correctly, It was one if the oils in the cold flow test posted on the other thread. Even if your not in a cold climate and are not worried about cold flow it is still not a good characteristic of a “synthetic” oil.
I think Mobil super is conventional, Mobil super synth is synthetic. I've always heard that the Mobil super synth was a cheaper version of Mobil1 which has always made me wander why it would be ms6395 approved and not Mobil1.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha , it's because the MS 6395 is a joke ! Very low requirements ....no need for an actual good oil that far exceeds the B.S. minimal specs to spend money to get the donut token .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Imo any manufacturer minimal oil spec , is just that MINIMAL....

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally choose much more than minimal ....I tend to lean toward Maximum ....token or not

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally choose much more than minimal ....I tend to lean toward Maximum ....token or not

I agree about ms6395 being a joke, you can't even find out what it is other than a 2 year test and something to do with cam wear. Does that mean as long as you're cam lasts 2 years it meets the standard, hell, any decent oil should do that.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ha ha ha , I agree

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I think Mobil super is conventional, Mobil super synth is synthetic. I've always heard that the Mobil super synth was a cheaper version of Mobil1 which has always made me wander why it would be ms6395 approved and not Mobil1.

Ha ha , it's because the MS 6395 is a joke ! Very low requirements ....no need for an actual good oil that far exceeds the B.S. minimal specs to spend money to get the donut token .

so the super synthetic is at the very least better than a blend and certainly a dino juice.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
so the super synthetic is at the very least better than a blend and certainly a dino juice.
I guess you could say that, however if I was gonna run Mobil it would be some version of Mobil1.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mobil 1 is absolutely laughing at FCA and sending a shot across the bow warning other manufacturers to not mess with them, I love it. We will make our inferior oil meet you pathetic spec that you gave a monopoly to our competitor over, but you wont get our best oil that in theory will take the best care of your engines, and is widespread in the market place. Clearly a revenge move, and I admire that. FCA had no right to Monopolize the m-6395 spec for two freaking years but they did. They should be ashamed, it is stupid to not cert the best otc oil in the world to meet your spec. FCA = never again. And I find myself looking at new rams, but I aint doing it again. I'm gonna be an old **** in an old truck after this.

From Mobil
For our ultimate in performance and protection consider our Mobil 1™ motor oils, a family of advanced full synthetic engine oil.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I do admire what Pennzoil did with their synthetics and their relationship with FCA, no knock on what they have done. They really are embracing the challenge of making an oil for the future, high detergency, GtL, tn moly, etc. But M1 is 5 years plus ahead of them. Pennzoil plays catch up well, but the fact you are playing catch up means the big dog is still leading the pack.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
I do admire what Pennzoil did with their synthetics and their relationship with FCA, no knock on what they have done. They really are embracing the challenge of making an oil for the future, high detergency, GtL, tn moly, etc. But M1 is 5 years plus ahead of them. Pennzoil plays catch up well, but the fact you are playing catch up means the big dog is still leading the pack.
not according to this poll.....but a close 2nd anyway.
I use it in all my motors........synthetic is better in all instances......except maybe a bath oil........but I use it there as well.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This poll is nowhere near an accurate depiction of users. There have been about 18k views and only 150~ish votes. Most of the votes came from the regulars at the old syn thread. Give it 6 months and the boat will upright itself.

Sooners89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 L
Only ever used Mobil 1 in both my ram and silverado.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500