Synthetic Motor Oil Poll 2017

What Synthetic Oil(s) Do You Use Most Often?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
smiley

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My power steering pump pulley is loose and wobbly. I was able to find one at a salvage yard with only 18k on it so I’ll be putting that in next when when it gets here. I guess changing the fluid doesn’t help the bearings live much longer I am at 153k but a ton of idle time.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I seen last night where his counterpart got kicked out, maybe he'll be next.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Royal Purple oil and K&N filter in the truck and my Corvette.

RP even stopped my HEMI tick.4c83f2cc298abff5ae5374230f49c2c7.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

:jawdrop::worthy::worship:

As I posted on your profile, this is a VERY nice truck. These wheels, the epic black paint, and all of that chrome make it a very sexy looking truck that easily looks 10 years younger than it really is. I swear, this looks like a brand new model because of just how it's set up.

And you know what? I HATE chrome. I think chrome is tacky AF, but this? This is sexy. This is art.

As you probably know, chrom on the right application looks good. Black is definitely the right application. Especially with that lower side piece and those steps and just UGGHH, your ram is a total beaut. I can't believe it has so much chrome, and yet, my opinion on the offending stuff is completely swayed in this case!

Sorry to get off topic, but really. This truck here makes me gush, girl. GOOD ****! :happy107::winner_first_h4h:

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Btw, to answer the poll, I'm about to be running Redline 5w30 with a Royal Purple 30-8a filter, which is about twice as long as the stock sized 20-253 filter.

:happy107:

Sent from my magic 5-inch

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Btw, to answer the poll, I'm about to be running Redline 5w30 with a Royal Purple 30-8a filter, which is about twice as long as the stock sized 20-253 filter.

:happy107:

I'm not familiar with either of the RP Filters you've mentioned ?
To my knowledge the two filters called for on Ram 1500 's with the 5.7L Hemi is :

RP 10-48 , 2013 & newer

RP 20-820 , 2012 & older

The 10-48 is the small filter , and the 20-820 is the larger diameter one that also fits the 2013 + Rams .

What year modle and engine do you have Sir ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
I'm not familiar with either of the RP Filters you've mentioned ?
To my knowledge the two filters called for on Ram 1500 's with the 5.7L Hemi is :

RP 10-48 , 2013 & newer

RP 20-820 , 2012 & older

The 10-48 is the small filter , and the 20-820 is the larger diameter one that also fits the 2013 + Rams .

What year modle and engine do you have Sir ?

2005 5.7L hemi. Both Amazon and Summit gave me the 20-253 for my truck when I put it in the results filter. It had a threading of 3/4-16 I believe. So what I did was a generic "Royal Purple oil filter" search and ctrl-f'd to single out all the ones with the correct threading, then looked through all of them until I found the 30-8a which had the same gasket size as the recommended 20-253.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2005 5.7L hemi. Both Amazon and Summit gave me the 20-253 for my truck when I put it in the results filter. It had a threading of 3/4-16 I believe. So what I did was a generic "Royal Purple oil filter" search and ctrl-f'd to single out all the ones with the correct threading, then looked through all of them until I found the 30-8a which had the same gasket size as the recommended 20-253.

Interesting .
If you get one or both of these Filters please post up pictures of the filters and once installed ...Thanks !

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
Interesting .
If you get one or both of these Filters please post up pictures of the filters and once installed ...Thanks !

The 30-8a is on the way with my 10qts worth of oil. Should be here Wednesday or Thursday.

I'll post pics, don't you worry, haha. Check my build thread for them.

"One Inebriated Rodents' Daily Driver" in the Photos>Members' Trucks section, I believe.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
:jawdrop::worthy::worship:

And you know what? I HATE chrome. I think chrome is tacky AF, but this? This is sexy. This is art.

As you probably know, chrom on the right application looks good. Black is definitely the right application. Especially with that lower side piece and those steps and just UGGHH, your ram is a total beaut. I can't believe it has so much chrome, and yet, my opinion on the offending stuff is completely swayed in this case!

But the crap on these trucks isn't chrome, it is plastic chrome looking material, I freak'n hate it. IMO every truck should be blacked out from the factory. Chrome rims I am ok with, but I still like black better.

Drunken Hamster

Turncoat Ford Boi
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2005
Engine
was 5.7 Hemi
But the crap on these trucks isn't chrome, it is plastic chrome looking material, I freak'n hate it. IMO every truck should be blacked out from the factory. Chrome rims I am ok with, but I still like black better.
I prefer body match to black only. I like colors, ya'know, just not cheap plastic chrome. The bumpers, wheels, and grill slats can be chrome, but the grill surround had to color matched, any center details like a crosshair or RAM can be black or color contrasted. I prefer the bumpers to be painted,but chrome isn't too bad on dark colors.

I also like brushed/polished metals instead, and a nickel color/coating looks REALLY sharp. I saw a '70 chevelle, I think, with all the chrome changed to nickel and DAYUM.

But yeah, now were thread jacking.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I guess we can make some type of conclusion at this point, top used oil is PUP or PP, which is exactly what Ram wants and it has proved itself the best choice for the Hemi imo. Mobil 1, also great choice in oil and clearly the choice for many rams owners. The two Boutique oils 3 and 4, shows people are interested in something a little extra. Top 4 oils all have a long commitment to Moly, imo something every Hemi should be using.

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Royal Purple oil and K&N filter in the truck and my Corvette.

RP even stopped my HEMI tick.4c83f2cc298abff5ae5374230f49c2c7.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk
Black & Chrome! Nothing better! That is a beautiful truck. Just imagine how it would look with my Fatboy strapped in the bed. Or my Abarth LOL. They'll both fit!
972b30dc93d60f8b2bc544ea6bfc247f.jpg
c238ed63e4d15abca41f27bd4b6b0f4f.jpg

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
For those of you running a thicker oil viscosity in you 5.7 Hemi, see clearances for the Cam and bearings below. For those of you running a ?w40 weight oil in the 5.7 4th Gen Hemi, think again!

Chrysler Material Standard MS-6395 CAMSHAFT SPECIFICATIONS DESCRIPTION / SPECIFICATION 5.7 4th Gen Hemi. Recommended Engine Oil - MOPAR API Certified SAE 5W-20 engine oil.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 1 / .0015 - .003 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 2 / .0019 - .0035 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 3 / .0015 - .003 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 4 / .0019 - .0035 in.

Bearing To Journal Clearance Standard - No. 5 / .0015 - .003 in.

Average width of a Human Hair = 0.001 – 0.005 in.

Note: Clearances are per Chrysler.

WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT? Because internal engine components are cooled by oil “Directly” and cooled by the coolant “Indirectly”. So running a thicker oil than what is recommended is a bad idea in most cases. Because oil “flow” through internal engine clearances is critical for proper lubrication and to pull heat from internal engine components. The engine oil temperature in these areas of the engine can be 50-90 degrees “Hotter” than oil sump temperatures; thinner oils flow better than thicker oils pulling more heat from internal engine components.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Why hasn't this guy been banned yet?

Free forum, and it is interesting. But you have to read the results with an educated eye. This guy believes his tests proved the best oil, it is the opposite. His tests proved which oils have the most viscosity improvers, IE lower quality base oils. When the branch chains break, the oil is vulnerable to shear. That is why atsm's have high temp testing and long term testing. That is how you gauge an oil, this guy had a yeoman's try at it, but he refuses to accept what I say and doubles down on his uneducated testing methods.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Free forum, and it is interesting. But you have to read the results with an educated eye. This guy believes his tests proved the best oil, it is the opposite. His tests proved which oils have the most viscosity improvers, IE lower quality base oils. When the branch chains break, the oil is vulnerable to shear. That is why atsm's have high temp testing and long term testing. That is how you gauge an oil, this guy had a yeoman's try at it, but he refuses to accept what I say and doubles down on his uneducated testing methods.

Agreed, I don’t get why. My 5.7 ran fine on 5W-30 and never once had a temp problem. Intact I found it hard to get it up to 212*, the 6.4 on the other had with factory fill seems to have no problem getting to 212*.

Seems to me the research he has been doing isn’t as good as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk