synthetic oil swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigHemi2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys, quick question.... I have a 2005 hemi with 86k miles. Pretty sure the motor has had conventional oil ran in it since day one. Not sure what the previous owners put in it. But I'm considering doing a full synthetic swap and stick to it. What do you guys think? Everything be OK? Everyone has there opinions but what brand oil has worked best for you and how often do you have to change the synthetic oil? Thanks guys!

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It shouldn't be a problem. You just don't want to mix them. Meaning don't mix synthetic with dino oil.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any particular reason you say not to mix synth and dino oil?

I agree the OP should just pick an oil and use it, but just wondering if there is some particular reason that synth's and dino can't mix. There are plenty of synth blend oils on the market.

Back on topic - I assume the OP is asking if it will cause any problems switching to synth for the first time at that mileage. No, not a problem. There are plenty of oil threads on here if you search to help you decide on a brand/weight.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switched mine to synthetic at around 68k which was the first change after I bought the truck, just over 100k now running strong.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any particular reason you say not to mix synth and dino oil?

I agree the OP should just pick an oil and use it, but just wondering if there is some particular reason that synth's and dino can't mix. There are plenty of synth blend oils on the market.

Back on topic - I assume the OP is asking if it will cause any problems switching to synth for the first time at that mileage. No, not a problem. There are plenty of oil threads on here if you search to help you decide on a brand/weight.

This is going to be a crappy answer in the fact that I don't know why shouldn't mix the oils, I was always taught not to with no specific reason in mine. I would be my reasoning that they simply just don't mix and therefore won't give adequate lubrication without some type of engine damage. Then again, I could totally be off base here!! :)

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. LOL. I've never heard anyone say that they don't mix before, so was curious if I was missing somethi

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wasn't sure what the PO used in my truck. The dealer I stole it from said they put dino oil in it. I drove it home with 99k and change on the odometer and put Mobil 1 5w20 synthetic in it that day. I usually run it about 3,500-4,500 miles per change depending on what I've used the truck for in that mileage. I try to stick to the lower end of that range though. I know you can run longer on synthetic oil but I'm going for longevity with my truck.

OP
OP
B

BigHemi2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well I appreciate it guys, yall have definitely answered my question. I'll do the swap,I'm sure the hemi is gonna love it lol

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I change mine every 5,000 usually sometimes if I'm busy it'll go a little after that. I have always used Mobil One full Synthetic and their filter. Used it before I own my truck and had a car and I never had issues so I just stick with it.

nemesis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hey guys, quick question.... I have a 2005 hemi with 86k miles. Pretty sure the motor has had conventional oil ran in it since day one. Not sure what the previous owners put in it. But I'm considering doing a full synthetic swap and stick to it. What do you guys think? Everything be OK? Everyone has there opinions but what brand oil has worked best for you and how often do you have to change the synthetic oil? Thanks guys!

Hey pal;
You should have zero issues swapping over to synthetics. I would suggest trying to get an oil filter with synthetic media to compliment the superior oil you well be putting it, such as AMSOIL or Mobil 1.
Any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I change mine every 5,000 usually sometimes if I'm busy it'll go a little after that. I have always used Mobil One full Synthetic and their filter. Used it before I own my truck and had a car and I never had issues so I just stick with it.

If you use mobile 1 and change every 5,000 miles you are way underusing your oil. Synthetic doesn't break down anywhere near like natural oil. Even if you can afford to do it I wouldn't.

There are natural additives that blend with synthetic just fine. I have been using Lucas with my synthetic oil for years in every car I have owned. One quart of lucas, the rest synthetic. I wouldn't mix oils like a quart of 5w regular and a quart of 5w synthetic, but just out of habit and ethics. If you are 2 quarts low and running synthetic AND the backwoods gas station you stop at when it starts ticking only has regular oil... put it in there please and change it as soon as possible.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I switched mine from Mobil 1 Syn. oil, since I found out it is not a true full synthetic motor oil. I switched to Amsoil 5W20 Synthetic Engine Oil (Due to MDS), and I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter, which is a synthetic media filter. I change my oil & oil filter every 5,000 miles.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I switched mine from Mobil 1 Syn. oil, since I found out it is not a true full synthetic motor oil. I switched to Amsoil 5W20 Synthetic Engine Oil (Due to MDS), and I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter, which is a synthetic media filter. I change my oil & oil filter every 5,000 miles.

Wow this is news to me, where did you read that about Mobil One?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
You can switch anytime. The idea that you cannot came because sometimes synthetic has a way of finding leaks so to speak so people thought it was caused by synthetic. I have a 1979 boat motor I even use Amsoil in and I know it used conventional for more years than I was alive before I bought it and it works great. If you want the very best experience with synthetic use 0W-20 with 5.7L and 0W-40 with the 6.4L.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

can you send me your used amsoil please lol. I have done every oil endurance test during my 25 years as a tech. I maintained fleets of severe service vehicles using amsoil, and we did oil sample testing and only changed it when it shows first signs of break down. With changing filters every 5000 miles on pickups with regular service kralinator filters and 15,000 miles on class 8 equipment, the amsoil never showed any break down before 30,000 miles and some ran 50 plus before changing the oil. Have you ever thought of oil sample testing to see when the oil starts breaking down and is to dirty with just filter change and oil testing at 5000 mile intervals then you will know how much you will save.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can you send me your used amsoil please lol. I have done every oil endurance test during my 25 years as a tech. I maintained fleets of severe service vehicles using amsoil, and we did oil sample testing and only changed it when it shows first signs of break down. With changing filters every 5000 miles on pickups with regular service kralinator filters and 15,000 miles on class 8 equipment, the amsoil never showed any break down before 30,000 miles and some ran 50 plus before changing the oil. Have you ever thought of oil sample testing to see when the oil starts breaking down and is to dirty with just filter change and oil testing at 5000 mile intervals then you will know how much you will save.

Ditto, truth

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I change from Mobil One to Amsoil I wouldn't have to change my oil for 15,000 miles? How long after switching over can I wait till the 15k mark since they will be some Mobil one in there do initial switch.

Trenton

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I change from Mobil One to Amsoil I wouldn't have to change my oil for 15,000 miles? How long after switching over can I wait till the 15k mark since they will be some Mobil one in there do initial switch.

Right away there will not be enough old oil in the engine to make any difference.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
You can switch anytime. The idea that you cannot came because sometimes synthetic has a way of finding leaks so to speak so people thought it was caused by synthetic. I have a 1979 boat motor I even use Amsoil in and I know it used conventional for more years than I was alive before I bought it and it works great. If you want the very best experience with synthetic use 0W-20 with 5.7L and 0W-40 with the 6.4L.

That is interesting, any reason why switching from dino to synth means you go from 5w-20 to 0w-20? Is that with just the 4th gen trucks or any 5.7L?

Gotta say that it would be great to go a full year in my truck before an oil change but what about the age of the oil? Since places always love putting down, come in at these X miles or on this X month.