synthetic oil swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
That is interesting, any reason why switching from dino to synth means you go from 5w-20 to 0w-20? Is that with just the 4th gen trucks or any 5.7L?

Gotta say that it would be great to go a full year in my truck before an oil change but what about the age of the oil? Since places always love putting down, come in at these X miles or on this X month.
You will notice the most benefit as using a 0W will make startups easier in cold weather and help prevent wear at startup better which is where most wear occurs. 0W-20 vs 5W-20 for reasons a chemist could better explain for what I have learned is a better formulation based on the way it is made. I'll see if I can find the Amsoil video where a regular guy explains it in normal person verbiage.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The first digit before the W is the cold viscosity index and the number after the W is the viscosity at operating temperature until breakdown temp.

So basically 0 means it is almost not affected by cold weather which allows the oil to flow really well through all the system. The same viscosity should be maintained until operating temperature is reached.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its even more than that in the synthetics. Smiley3303 will find the link to the explanation. It has to do with the way the base oil is made. The 0W just works better. I think its because it is a natural state or something. It takes additives or something to get it to behave like 5W. Can't remember.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
May I add that in some cases, especially in older engine, there is a chance that the engine may sound a little noisier than before due to the better fluidity of the oil. There are absolutely no risks involved but that is the nature of synth oil, and is also why some people prefer an hybrid synth, or partially synthetic.

My 4.7L has 175k miles on it and had 170k miles when I bought it last summer. I switched over to synth and it was noisy for a little while but is now actually quieter than when I got it. Reason is I used high detergent content oil and made 2 oil changes in not too long which has potentially cleaned up some of the hugly sludge build up that made the engine tick.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This
[yt]DO3DcY92yxc[/yt]

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never see my oil temp higher than my water temp like he says.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
We have oil cooler cars not designed to tow might not.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
Interesting video but yeah, our trucks all have massive radiators so we don't overheat when doing things.

Still sounds good, put in 0w-20 in my 5.7L and change it out once a year with a filter 6 months in, cost about $100 isn't bad at all.

Starting to look around simply cause my dealership is no longer selling packs of oil changes for cheap. So debating on dino oil or swapping to synthetic.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
If you don't go Redline or Amsoil at least look into regularly available oils like Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra they do really well on tests and you can run them 7000 miles no problem if you feel more comfortable doing full change each time. I currently have close to 9k on 0W-20 Amsoil SS and a NAPA platinum filter. I think I'll keep going for awhile.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
If you don't go Redline or Amsoil at least look into regularly available oils like Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra they do really well on tests and you can run them 7000 miles no problem if you feel more comfortable doing full change each time. I currently have close to 9k on 0W-20 Amsoil SS and a NAPA platinum filter. I think I'll keep going for awhile.

Very nice, I remember looking in to the Pennzoil Platinum, made from natural gas and all that good stuff.

How often are you changing out the filter or you just do everything in one go?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I buy the synthetic media filters such as NAPA platinum, fram ultra (not my favorite in a pinch might work), mobile 1 (did not care for anti drain back on this type), royal purple, or amsoil. I just do 10k and change. I am pushing it pretty far considering how I work my truck and the crazy temp changes here but seems good. I usually have to add about a qt during the 10k due to loss. I have a catch can that catches the crap too. I have not done a oil analysis but I am not too worried.

Sparkyy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have RP for my front and rear diffs and been running strong so great to hear their filters are worth it as well.

Might just have to switch to Pennzoil or Amsoil, since they seem to be the most talked of for synth oils.

Hemibee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use Rotella in all of my engines. The Dakota, Ram, Toyota FJ Cruiser, KTM race bikes, Yamaha, Kawasaki trail bikes, Triumph adventure bike and my wife's lawnmowers. When Amsoil was more available around here I used it but had to find something I could readily get my hands on for the race bikes so I made the switch to Rotella.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421305586.002482.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
when switching from dino to synth, make sure you watch for leaks under your truck.

dino tends to make the seals swell a little, and then when you switch to synth, they dry out and shrink and can cause a very small leak. probably not enough to make a difference, but still make a mess on your block.

if that happens, run dino for an oil change and it should lube those seals up.

Lugnutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any particular reason you say not to mix synth and dino oil?

I agree the OP should just pick an oil and use it, but just wondering if there is some particular reason that synth's and dino can't mix. There are plenty of synth blend oils on the market.

Back on topic - I assume the OP is asking if it will cause any problems switching to synth for the first time at that mileage. No, not a problem. There are plenty of oil threads on here if you search to help you decide on a brand/weight.

Synthetic oils and natural oils have different specific gravities. Their composition is vastly different with the synthetic molecules being entirely uniform opposed to the dino oil having irregularities. These oils will separate (may not be visible) when at a standing temperature and have the potential to act differently when heated up and flowing through an engine. Never mix!

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Mobil 1, Mopar filter.
Used this on my '11 Ram with no issues, currently use it in my 5.2 Durango and have been using it in my new motor in the '02 Ram.