Votes: 402 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 1,000 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just watching that is a reminder of why it's critical to have a good gear lube in the diff. That fluid is beat up every time the truck is driven. I don't think I will run anything but Redline or Amsoil Severe Gear in my diff after actually seeing what the fluid goes through.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Just watching that is a reminder of why it's critical to have a good gear lube in the diff. That fluid is beat up every time the truck is driven. I don't think I will run anything but Redline or Amsoil Severe Gear in my diff after actually seeing what the fluid goes through.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I have & still agree 100%! Especially if an owner does any type of towing!
Don't neglect that Front Diff.
All while incorporating a well thought out service interval.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Someone got a new avatar, I like the look, that has to be permanent right there. No more PUP drama for the man.

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
Sample kit came today. I'd like to get in mail today so my question is... does it matter if oil is taken hot or cold??

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Sample kit came today. I'd like to get in mail today so my question is... does it matter if oil is taken hot or cold??
Yes, it does matter. It should be taken warm, just after shutting the motor off. That way, any particles are suspended in the oil and you'll have a much more accurate sample.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
Ok thanks. That does make sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just changed my oil yesterday almost got PUP but the Redline was beside it and I couldn't resist...lol...

Maybe next year i'll try PUP...lol...

so I got Redline 5w30 and a WIX Filter again

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
So I dropped my sample off at ups so that's done. I was kinda rushing to get it done before work tonight. I did NOT change my oil only took sample. Curious to see what it looks like before I do an oil change. Should help me decide mileage and if I should move up to a 30wgt on my next oil change. Also curious how my air filter is protecting.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
So I dropped my sample off at ups so that's done. I was kinda rushing to get it done before work tonight. I did NOT change my oil only took sample. Curious to see what it looks like before I do an oil change. Should help me decide mileage and if I should move up to a 30wgt on my next oil change. Also curious how my air filter is protecting.

In regards to your air filter, check this out.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

And to add from personal experience, i am more impressed with the construction of the mopar (oem) air filter vs a WIX. OEM was built much better. more pleats, more glue ( to prevent vacume from colapsing it), better rubber/foam seal and fuzzier/thicker/denser midia.

Lufty

Muskies Bite
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 REBEL
Engine
I actually have the K&N Blackhawk intake with the synthetic NON-oiled filter. My first experience using this non oiled filter. Hopefully it's doing its job. I have a prefilter also to keep the bugs and rocks off. It's also water resistant (the prefilter)

Last edited:

SyN

6.7L CTD Owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4WD - Tow Prep Pkg - Off-Road Pkg - 3:42s w/Anti-Slip
Engine
6.7L CTD
Someone got a new avatar, I like the look, that has to be permanent right there. No more PUP drama for the man.

Permanent for sure! This will definitely be my Last Truck!
Hopefully we will be fortunate enough to strike a great deal as well as a fair price for my 2014 Ram 1500.
If the stars are in perfect alignment we will drive her home on either the 21/22 of this month.

Already have a corner of the garage full of goodies that will begin a long slow mod process of our New Tow Rig for the future.

Signature is already started with most important needed basics.
Some will be installed within the first week & others during the up & coming spring/summer months.

After the Single By-Pass kit is installed---The next 2 projects are to buy a deep aluminum transmission pan w/drain plug then refill with RL C+ ATF along with the Transfer Case.
Then focus on the Rearend---->New Finned Cover with easy drain & fill plugs. Refill with RL 75W-140/90 combo. At least 1 full Qt of 75W-90!

No HP/Torque gaining mods for the 6.7L are planned at this time. Unless constantl issues within the emissions systems keep occurring.

Coolant Filter system from sinister with the switch to a ELC coolant will happen within the first year at some point. {Looking more into this now}!
I am a huge stickler on my Diesel cooling system.

Here is the Single By-Pass filter kit installed: very clean oil flowing back through the valve cover cap.

If all is well next Friday Saturday and Sunday and we are blessed to bring this big beast home I will post a few pics. If things don't work out I will probably be sick at my stomach for a few months.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ SyN, very nice indeed Sir , check out this 16 4500 CTD with a sleeper ...
He contract hauled up a helicopter for us from Ga. to us last week .
This thing was super nice and the pics do it no justice .
d1a40601baa026b550a1dad00e11f51a.jpg
30863b12e62a7a9ee74113de467ca4e0.jpg
b75dad8f6046a2bfe41eb9a5c1be09c3.jpg
1e00419848714516a2ddc94bcf95b3aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Renegade68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just a quick note to say - WOW - I've read through about the last 200 pages of this. I am new to the HEMI world after driving v8 Ford trucks for the past 25 yrs and was curious about what to run in my 5.7 Laramie 4x4. This thread has basically settled me on the PUP with the RP filter. I've run RP and Amsoil in the Fords for 2+ decades with no issues. But I'm not married to any brand - I just want to give Black Betty the oil she likes best. I'm at 1k miles now and plan to swap it out at 2k.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Doing my first of at ,3000 miles. I am going with redline and an R P filter. I would use Pennzoil ultra , but it seems hard to get. I can get red line locally.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Just a quick note to say - WOW - I've read through about the last 200 pages of this. I am new to the HEMI world after driving v8 Ford trucks for the past 25 yrs and was curious about what to run in my 5.7 Laramie 4x4. This thread has basically settled me on the PUP with the RP filter. I've run RP and Amsoil in the Fords for 2+ decades with no issues. But I'm not married to any brand - I just want to give Black Betty the oil she likes best. I'm at 1k miles now and plan to swap it out at 2k.

I still got lot of love for Ford, maybe more then Dodge, but these Rams are the best all around truck. They are way more comfortable to be in, the ride quality and seat, no small thing for an aging dude like myself. Then the pricing, Ford would have cost me at least 7k more then the equal Ram no joke, I tried to match the pricing when I bought. I have a 4x4 and slt, I got for 24k, Ford could not touch this. Hemi is awesome as well, but can be finicky for some of us. I would probably rather have a ecoboost, just because long term it may not have the issues as the hemi. But that is another added cost. By the time I paid for the ecoboost and the difference in price between the brands, I probably would almost buy an entire new truck, or at least a Harley or something.

It seams like the most beneficial additive in an oil for the hemi is molybdenum, and Ram and Penzoil know it. That is why when they designed an oil together (PUP 0w40), they put more moly in it then any other brand of OTC oil, and even more moly then any other weight in their lineup. PUP 0w40 was specifically made for the Hemi and has like 5 times more moly then even 5w30 or 5w20 PUP. So if your engine ever is ticking in any way, do what Ram and Penzoil did, put more moly in your oil. I'm gonna assume you read moly basics of you read this thread, if not let me know.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
RLK that is fuggin SICK. I love that thing. Put a dump truck bed on that = the perfect truck for Burla. Man, never seen that before.

It would be nice of those mirrors telescoped, only put them long when you are towing.

Last edited:

Renegade68

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still got lot of love for Ford, maybe more then Dodge, but these Rams are the best all around truck. They are way more comfortable to be in, the ride quality and seat, no small thing for an aging dude like myself. Then the pricing, Ford would have cost me at least 7k more then the equal Ram no joke, I tried to match the pricing when I bought. I have a 4x4 and slt, I got for 24k, Ford could not touch this. Hemi is awesome as well, but can be finicky for some of us. I would probably rather have a ecoboost, just because long term it may not have the issues as the hemi. But that is another added cost. By the time I paid for the ecoboost and the difference in price between the brands, I probably would almost buy an entire new truck, or at least a Harley or something.

It seams like the most beneficial additive in an oil for the hemi is molybdenum, and Ram and Penzoil know it. That is why when they designed an oil together (PUP 0w40), they put more moly in it then any other brand of OTC oil, and even more moly then any other weight in their lineup. PUP 0w40 was specifically made for the Hemi and has like 5 times more moly then even 5w30 or 5w20 PUP. So if your engine ever is ticking in any way, do what Ram and Penzoil did, put more moly in your oil. I'm gonna assume you read moly basics of you read this thread, if not let me know.

The reason I am in a RAM is because my Ford dealer couldn't come close to the price when comparing my Laramie to the Platinum 150. In the end, the RAM rides better and I totally agree on the comfort aspect since I drive almost 30 miles each way to work, and have several herniated discs in my back and neck that I'm refusing surgery on (for now). Thanks Uncle Sam for all that gear and extra weight!

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The reason I am in a RAM is because my Ford dealer couldn't come close to the price when comparing my Laramie to the Platinum 150. In the end, the RAM rides better and I totally agree on the comfort aspect since I drive almost 30 miles each way to work, and have several herniated discs in my back and neck that I'm refusing surgery on (for now). Thanks Uncle Sam for all that gear and extra weight!
Oh man I feel your pain. I had 1 herniated disc back in 2012. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced. I ended up being out of work for 6 months in 2013 while I recovered from surgery. Can't imagine having multiple discs...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Renegade68, I had double spinal fusion from an injury in the Army, never let them cut you. PM me if you ever want more info.

Picked up a mityvac today, soon summer is here and I will do my 30k service, early because of time not mileage. Truck is 7 years old, so I will hit everything I can. Gonna use this to see how much trans fluid I can get from the dip stick. I'll just put it in gallon jugs until it is spitting dry, then I'll drop the pan.

mit_12_bra_ble_kit.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyjdh