Votes: 401 14.4%
  • Valvoline Synpower

Votes: 161 5.8%
  • Mobil 1

Votes: 999 35.8%
  • Other

Votes: 664 23.8%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
It would appear that Amsoil XL might be better than SS. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjboMOK43OY&t=1786s

I was thinking about using PUP 0W40 on my 5.7. But seeing that it gives it a slight tick on startup, nope, that is not for me. Its one of the reasons I'm trying to avoid Mobil1 0W40; even though the tick is just on initial start after an oil change and it makes the engine idle so smooth, dare I say it, arguably may be quieter than Redline.
How can you say a new oil has a tick on initial start-up after oil change when it's in the pan & hopefully filter?
Am I missing something here?
Or are you priming before starting?
Maybe same oil prior to last change.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
One thing I have noticed with my Ram (5.7) is if I park it on an angle, that is when it'll tick. So when I do park it nose down, I give it full throttle and crank it, ECU stops it from starting. Crank it for about 3-5sec, and then stop cranking, then start it normally. No tick.

I had done that occasionally.

But, I've also found out by adding an 1/2 quart more of oil also is good and nothing is leaking due to blown gaskets, foaming, etc. No start up engine drive train "clacky" anymore, smooth and quiet now.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
With the larger filter which is OEM for my 2010, I have been adding 8 quarts for just about 15 years with no issue. I can safely say I'd rather be at the upper limit then short with these 5.7's. Never seen any foam at startup, if I did I would take some oil out.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Here is some more info to digest.
Too bad he didn't include Lubegard.

good post, he likey PEA additives like si-1...

wow on Lucas, it is worst then we thought fellas.

About biotech, it has been proven to end hemi tick in many vehicles, so that is something that is gonna trump high wear. But we have enough proven samples that nothing applies to what he was saying with lubeguard and shelf oils. But your post was very information, and we use the same science as him, so I bet he cherry picked every bad additive to make a strong point, which I like a lot. In general people should be skeptical.

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Nope.

none. Zero

Redline 5w30 started just as quite as Amsoil SS 0W40.

I wouldn't run it with any other 5w30 tho. Not in my 6.4. She can be a picky girl.

Long, long time ago, we found out on this thread that the 6.4 was actually tested with 5w30 in it. The 0w40 call out, specifically PUP, was a plug for their friends at shell.

And the Hellcat motor in cars. They just no-brained the truck motor without a thought.

5W-30 is the bomb for truck motors. 0W-30 in nordic winters, 5W-40 for desert summers and/or heavy tow hauling.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
holy hell

But those dummies should be getting their news from this forum instead of whatever focus group they spending money, we been on this for years now. Ford made it through many scary times, but their buying into EV policy is gonna sink their ship, and many ships, who knows maybe us going down this really mis guided path is gonna sink us all.

No worries - Ford CEO fixing his error by moving plants to Mexico and blaming on UAW contract.

It's all good.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've also added 1/2 quart more of oil on the last two oci and also, no problems.

yup - it's the % of oil over or under nominal fill you got to worry about. An extra 1/2 quart to a Harley motor sump pukes oil or burns up the air-cooled motor. (Harley's have 5 quart sumps, btw, large for only a 2 jug engine)

But a regular 8 cylinder truck engine with 7 quart sump? ppfffttt

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How can you say a new oil has a tick on initial start-up after oil change when it's in the pan & hopefully filter?
Am I missing something here?
Or are you priming before starting?
Maybe same oil prior to last change.
I'm not sure. The engine ticks for 2 - 3 seconds on the initial start up right after the oil change. We put in good oil into the new filter when putting it in. I use the large Mopar filter because that is the only one available to me here in Dubai.
The oil was Mobil 1 FS 0w40. For you guys in the US, Mobil calls it, Mobil 1™ FS 0W-40 European Car Formula (North America)

The next oil change I used Liquimoly Molygen 5w30. It didn't do the tick on initial startup. However didn't sound as smooth on hot-idle as Mobil1 did.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone has to have the newest and "greatest". Have to keep up with the Jones's.

Wife:"honey did you see the neighbors got a nice new suv? I sure wish we could get a new car." Husband "we don't need a new car yours works perfectly fine." One week later they're at the dealership picking out a new car.

Kind of along the same line but I'm glad my wife and I don't have very many friends. Every time one of them p-e-c-k-e-r heads would have a baby and the wife got to see the new baby. First thing she would say when she'd get home is we should have a baby. Luckily I escaped with only 2.
My late wife's family were from eastern Ohio / West Virginia. Her mother was raised on a farm where there were 13 children! The Grandfather had been married before (that wife died) and had 4 kids, to a total of 17 children with no twins! As I was told, the reason for so many kids was to help on the farm.... Personally, I think the TV was broken! ;)

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I'm not sure. The engine ticks for 2 - 3 seconds on the initial start up right after the oil change. We put in good oil into the new filter when putting it in. I use the large Mopar filter because that is the only one available to me here in Dubai.
The oil was Mobil 1 FS 0w40. For you guys in the US, Mobil calls it, Mobil 1™ FS 0W-40 European Car Formula (North America)

The next oil change I used Liquimoly Molygen 5w30. It didn't do the tick on initial startup. However didn't sound as smooth on hot-idle as Mobil1 did.
What I'm saying is unless the same oil was in before oil change how can the fresh oil change be a cause of initial start up tick if its not on the moving parts.
Maybe your oil drain period lasted longer causing more bleed off of lifters & pump.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

I'd be using Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 over LM especially in your climate. Dave from HPL has called that oil "too good for the money" or something to that effect, so in other words an excellent competitor is speaking pretty highly of it which is a great sign.

To prevent the truck from rattling after changing your oil, just use the "flood mode"; put the pedal to the floor and hang onto it, tap the brake and turn the engine on while hanging onto the gas; the truck will just spin over but not fire up as it doesn't give it gas in this mode. Wait for about 10 seconds, then turn your engine off to stop the cranking.

Then just start your truck as normal.

Ever since that feature was posted here I've used it every oil change and never had any bad rattles after an oil change regardless of oil or filter, including the one time I used mobil 1 0w-40.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Although i have tried Lubegard twice or thrice (can't remember), I just became lazy and didn't want to mix stuff. it's 100% Redline 5w-30 for me year-round since Boise just doesn't really get super duper cold and if 20-820 is out of stock, it's 20-500 as the back up. Additionally, the truck might see 3k to 4k miles a year so i'm into an oil change once every 2 years and I drive the truck once a week at least to make sure it doesn't sit too long.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Although i have tried Lubegard twice or thrice (can't remember), I just became lazy and didn't want to mix stuff. it's 100% Redline 5w-30 for me year-round since Boise just doesn't really get super duper cold and if 20-820 is out of stock, it's 20-500 as the back up. Additionally, the truck might see 3k to 4k miles a year so i'm into an oil change once every 2 years and I drive the truck once a week at least to make sure it doesn't sit too long.
MOPAR advises at least annually due moisture adsorption.

I don't have any data to share that validates their recommendation. This is common for many engine makers, though.
How much is cya vs. needed I have no idea since most people don't run that few miles. Maybe more so today since the pandemic.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
MOPAR advises at least annually due moisture adsorption.

I don't have any data to share that validates their recommendation. This is common for many engine makers, though.
How much is cya vs. needed I have no idea since most people don't run that few miles. Maybe more so today since the pandemic.
I'd be putting on way more if it wasn't a "as needed" basis. She isn't my daily driver. Thanks for that tidbit of info though. it's cheap insurance.