System says lights out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

philwebber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got a 2013 Ram 1500 and it says brake light, tail light, backup light and license plate light out. It's LED brake housing and besides a few led lights out everything else works fine. Do I need to replace the taillight assembly? Also the blinker flashes quick inside the vehicle but not the turn signal outside. Any advice?

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the forum!

What lights are out now? If one is out, it can cause a lot of problems. Also, I have never seen anyone report an error message for backup lights or license plate light out. I didn't think those were monitored, could be wrong though. 2013 was a transitional year for a few things.

4th gen trucks (which I moved your thread to for more views) can be a bit tricky with exterior lighting.

Normally, you need to add resistors in the light wiring harness to make LED lights work without throwing a code. But there is a work around on that with software. Alfa OBD can take care of that for example.

If you could show us a picture of the rear of your truck with the lights on, it would help us out tremendously. Like Boss said too, sometimes the CHMSL (central high mounted stop lamp) being out can toss a few error codes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

philwebber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate the responses and moving my question to the proper forum. I took the assembly out last night just to check things out and everything is working fine. I'm still getting the message in my information center but there are no lights out and now the quick flash on the turn signal is gone as well.

1999 White C5 Coupe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got a 2013 Ram 1500 and it says brake light, tail light, backup light and license plate light out. It's LED brake housing and besides a few led lights out everything else works fine. Do I need to replace the taillight assembly? Also the blinker flashes quick inside the vehicle but not the turn signal outside. Any advice?

If you’re using LED bulbs on a vehicle not designed for them, that is where your trouble lies.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like it was a dirty connection, use some electronic cleaner followed with a dose of dielectric grease to help prevent future problems. Every electrical connector could benefit from this as the truck is not getting younger, and corrosion doesn’t sleep.