T style radio backup cam hook up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fishebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a T style radio and installed it. All the camera inputs only have a yellow RCA jack style. Factory harness does not. How do I get around this?
Also, is the white or purple wire from the factory harness the input for back up camera?

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I bought a T style radio and installed it. All the camera inputs only have a yellow RCA jack style. Factory harness does not. How do I get around this?
Also, is the white or purple wire from the factory harness the input for back up camera?
How many cameras do you have from factory? The main backup camera should already be wired into the harness and most likely be a male and female RCA plugged into itself that you can unplug to bypass the OEM backup camera if your vehicle didn't come equipped with it.

OP
OP
F

Fishebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Only has the single factory camera on the tailgate. There were no RCA connectors connected to my 8.4 that was stock.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Only has the single factory camera on the tailgate. There were no RCA connectors connected to my 8.4 that was stock.
Correct, to be clear, The T-Style radio harness is where the RCA I was referring to is. It should have a T-Harness to plug into the factory wiring. If you post a picture, I might be able to identify it for you.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The Linkswell T-Style that I had installed in my truck had a harness that connected to the factory wiring that provided the RCA connections to connect to the radio. What brand T-Style radio are you using? Sounds like a harness might be missing.

OP
OP
F

Fishebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This radio is an Awesafe brand. It came with wiring harness to hook up multiple cameras like I have on my 3500 via RCA.
The truck harness when I unhooked it from stock radio did not have any RCA Which typically would be yellow for the camera. The instructions for the install are very vague. Which is fine, but this camera thing is really bothering me.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
This radio is an Awesafe brand. It came with wiring harness to hook up multiple cameras like I have on my 3500 via RCA.
The truck harness when I unhooked it from stock radio did not have any RCA Which typically would be yellow for the camera. The instructions for the install are very vague. Which is fine, but this camera thing is really bothering me.
Post a picture of the harnesses they gave you.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just looked up that radio and it's identical to the Linkswell unit as far as the harnesses. On the power harness, labeled 10 in the attached pic, there should be a yellow male RCA labeled Factory Camera or something like that. That is the breakout from the factory wiring for the backup camera. That should connect to the yellow female RCA on the Cam Input harness, labeled 6 in the pic, that is labeled Factory Cam I/P. Hope that helps.

Awesafe.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fishebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I found the part of the harness that connects to the camera. It somehow did not get hooked up and was with the other harness pieces that were not necessary for install. Only problem is I have no microphone.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I found the part of the harness that connects to the camera. It somehow did not get hooked up and was with the other harness pieces that were not necessary for install. Only problem is I have no microphone.
Did your radio not include one? It’s listed in the parts list for that radio.

OP
OP
F

Fishebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The radio did include a microphone, but the damn thing won’t work. There’s a blue connector on the back of the radio. I’m wondering if that might be a microphone input. I’d hate to plug something into it and screw something up if it’s not right.

Gwerner74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The microphone plugs into the female 3.5mm jack on the RCA Audio Output harness (harness 7). The blue connector is for the GPS antenna.