Tapping into Cargo Light For Aux Reverse Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Hello All,

I was wondering if you can help me with this. I want to install auxiliary reverse lights however I want to use my cargo light switch to power it. Is this doable, or do I need to run other wires for power. I am installing 2 4 pods of Cree led lights.

Thanks in Advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You may be able to make it work if you switch the cargo lights to leds and keep the wattage down, but I'd recommend running a seperate power run for them. You could run a wire from the cargo light to a relay to switch the lights on and off with the cargo light switch.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
from what I've read, people tie into the trailer wiring harness for the reverse lights, but then they aren't switched. If you want a switched setup, then I've read people are running a new power cable with a fuse. I'd like to run some aux rear lights, just not sure if I want them on a switch, or just as part of the reverse logic.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
That's pretty sweet. Thanks. I want to add in bed lights that are also tapped into the cargo switch. That switch might get a workout! It sure would keep the install clean, and not need any aux switch that looks out of place on the dash. I have a spot on my factory switches by the climate controls. Anyone taken a spot there for a new switch?

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a spot on my factory switches by the climate controls. Anyone taken a spot there for a new switch?

You can get a switch panel from a 2500 that has the row of Aux switches on the bottom row, but they are negative (ground) switches.

-K

OP
OP
Deepc6

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
You may be able to make it work if you switch the cargo lights to leds and keep the wattage down, but I'd recommend running a seperate power run for them. You could run a wire from the cargo light to a relay to switch the lights on and off with the cargo light switch.

Current my truck does have LED Bed lights, I Wil be adding LED reverse lights do you think that would work?

OP
OP
Deepc6

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
You can get a switch panel from a 2500 that has the row of Aux switches on the bottom row, but they are negative (ground) switches.

-K

I initially looked into that however I have the limited which has 2 banks of switches and all of them are used for something from the factory.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
Yes it can be done. I wired my aux rear lights on my 2011 through a rely and used the power feed wire to the cargo lamps to trigger the relay. On my 2011 the wire is white with tan tracer, not sure on newer models. I tapped into the main harness under the dash before it goes through the firewall. You could always go the the lamp and run a wire from there.

I also wired my backup camera for my Garmin on this same circuit. Works really sweet.

OP
OP
Deepc6

Deepc6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Etorque
Thank you for the responses, I will have to try it out this weekend if the weather permits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Current my truck does have LED Bed lights, I Wil be adding LED reverse lights do you think that would work?
If you have factory bed lights, why not tap into those and you'll have control of the aux lights with the switch in the cab?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

ncgrl1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 RAM LongHorn 4x4
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you have factory bed lights, why not tap into those and you'll have control of the aux lights with the switch in the cab? mmm

You have a switch in the cab for your bed lights??? Where is it at?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
I thought there was an issue with how many amps were going thru that switch.

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I have the factory bed lights in my 2016. That switch controls the two lights in the corners. I just tapped into that wiring for the led strip lights.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I thought there was an issue with how many amps were going thru that switch.

There is, but if you run a power supply from the battery to the relay then run a power wire from the cargo light circuit as the trigger wire the relay only draws 200 milliamps on the higher end to trigger the relay, which is very little. You could run a 1/0 wire to the back and run as many lights as your battery and alternator could run and still use the positive off the cargo light to trigger it. Those strip lights are pretty low amperage though so if the cargo light on the back of the cab were swapped to low wattage leds you'd likely be able to run the strip lights directly on that circuit without running a seperate power wire from the battery..