Temperature specific rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

limechallenger

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 4x4 Sport regular cab
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've got a 2014 Ram regular cab sport 4x4 with a very annoying rattle in the rear when I go over bumps in the road. Sounds like a loose shock, but I just replaced those. Heres the strange part, it almost sounds like metal on metal when its below 40 degrees outside, but today it was almost 50 degrees and the rattle seemed to diminish considerably? Any ideas? I' m gonna install new rear sway bar links the weekend, just because they are cheap! Any advise will help!

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you torque the shock bolts to 100ft/lbs? That's what they call for.

Last edited:

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was the obvious thing. Wheel well liner lose or out of place, hitting something? I know you said maybe metal on metal sounding but it's worth a look.

Loudram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only other thing I can think of is get the bed rocking back and forth and up and down to try and isolate the noise. It could be a hundred things.

bigdodge

Reaction score
Check rubber bushings everywhere. The rubber is contracting in the cold weather and allowing something to move more. I just replaced body mounts for this. Control arm bushings, sway bar bushings track bar could also be an issue. Shocks if cheap can very in size the n the ends. Some may be too narrow and u will have to over tighten them a lot. Lots to check but shouldn't be hard to find with a big day jumping in the bed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

pedersen_tim

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your parking brake cable guides. They rattle/squeak against the hangars they pass through

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk