Terrible, Horrible luck TT wise. My fault though...anything I can do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
OK, I've posted this before, but here is what I reccomend since you already have a truck.

Even though you don't have the travel trailer yet, load up your truck as if you are going on a trip. Include a full tank of gas, all the people you plan to take, all the stuff you typically have in the truck etc. Go to a CAT scale and get a weight.

Take the weight from the scale and add about 100# for a weight distributing hitch. Add about another 150# fudge factor cause you can't think of everything. This gives you a ready to tow weight estimate for your truck.

Get your GVWR from the door sticker and from that, subtract the weight estimate calculated below. That number is the payload you have available for tongue weight. Assume the trailer will have a tongue weight that is 15% of its GVWR.

Based on the information given , I suspect you available payload will end up around 1400. Give youself another couple of hundred pounds fudge factor and you have 1200. That means a trailer with an absolute max of 8000 when fully loaded.

But remember even if you are not exceeding any of your weights, you can still be in for a bad experience. I started out towing a 26 foot 6000# loaded trailer with a GMC Canyon. I was not exceeding any of its limits but it was white knuckles all the way. 50 mph down the interstate. Feeling like I would be blown off the road with every cross wind or passing semi. Moved up to Sierra 1500 and it was clear sailing. I think my 1500 was well matched to that trailer given it was just my wife and i...similar weight as you and your two small kids. Families with more people and more stuff than us might have hit the 1650 payload of the Sierra...but it worked great for me.

But when we ordered our new trailer that is 7051 as it came from the dealer (on a CAT scale) and about 7600 loaded, and about 30 foot, when I did the math, it looked like the Sierra 1500 would not be overloaded but would be right near its max. I didn't want to be back in that white knuckle driving and worrying about every little thing we wanted to pack. So I bit the bullet and got another new truck, this time a Ram 2500 6.4 gas with 4.10. If inwere not willing or able to get the new truck, I would have stuck with the smaller trailer.

db208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry to hear that man... I'll say this. As others have said, just because the spec sheet says it's able, doesn't mean you should, or even can safely. I have a 21 1500, 3.92 5.7 ...our tt is 7600 fully loaded and with airbags its doable, but not entirely stable. 33' tt latched on with wdh and spread tandem axle. Let's just say this, yes it has the power, yes it has the transmission, and the brakes... it meets well within the spec sheet, but it's a bit sketchy sometimes. It just isn't enough truck to do it easily. I'm a professional class a cdl driver with decades on the road, and I simply need more truck, bigger, heavier... so with that being said, best of luck in your endeavors. Just sharing my experience and insight. I would go for something that is capable of double your intended tow weight when truck shopping.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
You can try to cancel the truck order and order a heavy duty truck from the same dealer. If you can, assuming your dealer goes along (if the dealer is nice), you would get your initial deposit back when the truck you ordered first is sold/leased to someone else.

I had to do that when I realized the truck I had initially ordered had the small fuel tank. The dealer held my deposit until the first one sold. I was lucky it sold within a week of delivery. My dealer required $1,000 deposit on the first truck and another $1,000 on the second truck. And you run a risk that the dealer cant sell the first truck, which unless you ordered something strange, really isn't much of a risk to you in this market.

Dealers don't like carrying special orders.

OR if you haven't yet ordered the trailer, you can downsize the trailer order.

Last edited:

CaptQ

Reaction score
Go back to the truck dealer and see what they can do to get you the truck you need. A reputable dealer will “try” to work something out.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Luckily the way the market is you may get a pretty decent deal returning that 1500

jimmyz33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's all about the weight on the tongue and the payload of your half ton. I have a 38' TT that weighs 9500 dry and I bought it sight unseen. After hooking up, and seeing the drag on my suspension, I ended up renting a truck to tow it home and upgrading to a 2500. Now, I'm on my second 2500 having upgraded to a diesel. Everything you've heard about upgrading your truck for towing purposes - 3/4 ton, 1 ton or diesel vs gas - it's all true. If you'll be towing a lot (and I drove across the country at least twice per year with this beast in tow to visit the in laws), it's not only worth every penny, but when it's time to sell, you'll recover most of your purchase costs. Add to that the extra few thousand pounds your truck weighs, controlling the 10k+ trailer in wind, when passing tractor trailers, hauling downhill, etc - SO worth it.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I have read a great many posts such as this over the years. People chose the tow vehicle and then learn that it is not adequate for the camper they later want to buy. It would save them a lot of grief to spend a few hours doing research but they are too lazy to do so. With the internet this is pathetic.

The problem with low gears is more wear and tear on the drivetrain, including the engine's bearings and the transmission, but more important is performance. With lower gears a tow vehicle with its trailer can accelerate faster to merge with traffic on the highway. It is safer to pass very slow moving trucks pulling a set of doubles up a grade at 10 mph with less time in the passing lane.

A second common mistake is in believing the sleeping capacity of a trailer. Often the brochure will state that it sleeps 8 people but the reality is that it can sleep two full size adults and 6 shorter people or small children. Teenagers can often be too tall to sleep in many of the locations available in a camper.

I spent months looking for a 1500 truck that had the large gas tank and the low gears for towing. Roughly 5 out of 100 available trucks had been ordered by dealers with those two options. I ended up buying a crew cab which is not want I wanted with the longer wheelbase but I got the big gas tank and the lower gears.

What strikes me as odd is that one get pay for a "tow package" and end up with tall gears and the small gas tank.

Jeff Hughes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got done travelling full-time for almost 4 years. 45 states, every major mountain range in the lower 48.
2011 5.7L 2500 HD Crew Long bed with 4.10
31' Jayco TT toy hauler, probably close to 9k loaded.

Unless you are just going to a nearby campground, flat landing, or to grandma's house, there's no way in hell I would tow that beast of a trailer even with a 2500. Seriously doubt you'd ever be under the GCVWR.

Dreedo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Generally speaking, most RV manufacturers not exceeding 80% of the towing capacity of your tow vehicle.

Jerseybob175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree with the group regarding the 1500 tow weights vs the empty TT is not a good fit.
If you have reached dissatisfaction with the dealer/sales manager / general manager at the dealership, another opportunity is finding a TT that may be a better fit for the 1500. Smaller is not a terrible thing and makes it fun for kids to figure out how to make it work with you. RVing means being outside other than in inclement weather or sleeping. A Weight distribution Hitch (WDH) really made a substantial difference in towing my 16 x 7 x7, dual axle TT, which was loaded to the maximum reported capacity of the vehicle. Some folks also add airbags to assist in the leveling. Lastly, you may want to consider. In the event you cannot go to another (larger?) truck, and the trailer is too much of a loss to trade in, consider a RV park where you can have someone deliver the trailer to a spot rented for a season/longer or shorter period, depending on where you live. You keep the 1500 truck, TT and enjoy them both. You now have a place your kids like to go regularly. Many of the RV facilities offer great amenities and a lot of fun for kids and families without having to pull the trailer away each time. Addtionally, you can leave bikes, clothes, dry goods etc in the trailer for each visit without having to haul it around. JMHO

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They do make a 1/2 ton truck that can supposedly tow this 10k TT or a 10k 5th wheel. Personally I am not too fond of Ford trucks...

They say it can tow it with the 3.5L EGO Boost Engine... :) 400HP @6000 rpm and 500#s Torque at 3100 rpm

The all-new 2021 F-150 Pickup is a true workhorse and is purpose-built to handle the toughest jobs.
A fully boxed high-strength steel frame with a high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body
to save weight and add capability, helping F-150 tow best-in-class maximum available 14,000 lbs.1
and deliver a best-in-class available payload rating of 3,325 lbs.

I know it won't help the OP other than a manufacturer claims their 1/2 ton truck can tow it.

Knock Out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have owned 3 one ton trucks, 4 half ton trucks and 5 3/4 ton trucks tons of miles on all of them
current ram 1500 with 5.7 and tow package(392 gears) short bed single cab tradesman, headers, exhaust, very fun ,very fast grocery getter would never tow with it
current ram 3500 crew cab with 6.4 tows 14,000 lb 5th wheel with ease Changed gears when I bought it to 456
I always believe in getting way more truck than required, Brakes and weight of tow vehicle and length of trailer are almost never discussed in towing conversations, but are very important
Previous truck was 3/4 ton HD with 411 gears, the difference betweeen the 3/4 hd and 3500 when towing is night and day when towing

Knock Out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea right ecoboost
great idea
My buddies ecoboost died the first time out towing a lightweight trailer
left him stranded on a mountain road
real world conditons like ran,grade,wind changes everything
Had it towed to dealer
traded it in for f350 diesel
My advice never ask a small 6 to do the work of a large 8
Also work a few more hours and keep your family safe
saving a few $$ could cost you a lot more than money

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Best way I have found to know what you can tow for a TT is to know what you payload is, i.e. weight the truck. Then at TT dealers find the dry weight of the trailer and its dry tongue weight and divide the two, i.e. 6500 lbs dry, tongue weight 850 = 0.13 or 13%. Then multiply this by the gross weight rating for the trailer, i.e. GVWR for trailer 8230 times 0.13 or 13% = 1076lbs. .... This is the weight you need to plan on towing or the minimum payload you need to have remaining after weighing truck and adding in people weight and anything else you will haul in the bed while towing.

NOTE: put stuff in trailer..... every 100lbs in the truck is a 100 lbs less towing weight. In the trailer the 100lbs on cost 13lbs in towing weight.

FYI...
Most 1500 or F150s are rated for 1400-1600 lbs of payload (the more dressed up the less payload, i.e. platinum's, etc.) so any trailer using this calculation that exceeds 900-1000lbs of tongue weight will most likely put you over trucks GVWR when you add people, etc. Think 2 adults (300lbs or more) and 2 kids (150-200lbs or more) can easily hit 450 - 500lb or more.

Snowshoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l diesel
I agree with the group regarding the 1500 tow weights vs the empty TT is not a good fit.
If you have reached dissatisfaction with the dealer/sales manager / general manager at the dealership, another opportunity is finding a TT that may be a better fit for the 1500. Smaller is not a terrible thing and makes it fun for kids to figure out how to make it work with you. RVing means being outside other than in inclement weather or sleeping. A Weight distribution Hitch (WDH) really made a substantial difference in towing my 16 x 7 x7, dual axle TT, which was loaded to the maximum reported capacity of the vehicle. Some folks also add airbags to assist in the leveling. Lastly, you may want to consider. In the event you cannot go to another (larger?) truck, and the trailer is too much of a loss to trade in, consider a RV park where you can have someone deliver the trailer to a spot rented for a season/longer or shorter period, depending on where you live. You keep the 1500 truck, TT and enjoy them both. You now have a place your kids like to go regularly. Many of the RV facilities offer great amenities and a lot of fun for kids and families without having to pull the trailer away each time. Addtionally, you can leave bikes, clothes, dry goods etc in the trailer for each visit without having to haul it around. JMHO
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel and although towing capacity is not the problem, the payload is only 2010lbs. This makes it unsuitable for hauling most 5th wheels even though I got it with the pre package for the 5th wheel. Ram pissed me off this time

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I have a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel and although towing capacity is not the problem, the payload is only 2010lbs. This makes it unsuitable for hauling most 5th wheels even though I got it with the pre package for the 5th wheel. Ram pissed me off this time
I've seen many 2500's with a 5th wheel so it must be doable, if you bought the truck to pull a 5th wheel did you not look at payload capacity of the truck before buying?

Baysider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had it done to me twice in one day. First I got told my 4.7 Dakota 4x4 would easily tow a 5500 pound (dry) 30 foot trailer. When in fact the trailer was heavier than the truck not to mention the smaller V8. But then when the Dakota almost expired pulling the trailer home, I went to my friendly Ford dealer and ended up with a RAM 1500 5.7L Tradesman that was barely adequate with a load distribution hitch that I found out about from the Ford dealer. Ended up selling that trailer and buying one the truck could handle. That was 3 years ago. Now with my experience I keep my own counsel on trailers and trucks and camping gear. Lots of scar tissue. Welcome to our world.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I've seen many 2500's with a 5th wheel so it must be doable, if you bought the truck to pull a 5th wheel did you not look at payload capacity of the truck before buying?
I bet he was talking about a diesel 2500, which has a significantly lower payload than a 6.4 2500.