2017 2500 5.7 tuning...anything out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hey guys, i replaced my 05 superdookie with a 2017 2500 with the 5.7 in it and it is an absolute dog
the throttle lag on these fly by wire trucks is ridiculous

so, i want to get it "tuned", i dont care if it is a canned tune, its a truck, there is no need to dyno this hog
but i would like some throttle reponse, a little more power and perhaps even north of 12 MPG

the truck is a SLT trim with the 6 speed

so far i have talked to Pulsar, Diablo, Hemifever and Livernoise

all of them said, nope, there is no love out there for that truck

so, does anyone here know of an outfit that offers a little tuning for my truck ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
hey guys, i replaced my 05 superdookie with a 2017 2500 with the 5.7 in it and it is an absolute dog
the throttle lag on these fly by wire trucks is ridiculous

so, i want to get it "tuned", i dont care if it is a canned tune, its a truck, there is no need to dyno this hog
but i would like some throttle reponse, a little more power and perhaps even north of 12 MPG

the truck is a SLT trim with the 6 speed

so far i have talked to Pulsar, Diablo, Hemifever and Livernoise

all of them said, nope, there is no love out there for that truck

so, does anyone here know of an outfit that offers a little tuning for my truck ?
Did not know they still made a 2500 with the 5.7,but it should be tuneable.You'll need an unlocked pcm to tune it.Hunt up Ryan Hogan at Flying Ryan Performance (FRP) and talk to them about tuning it via HP,instead of diablo.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did not know they still made a 2500 with the 5.7,but it should be tuneable.You'll need an unlocked pcm to tune it.Hunt up Ryan Hogan at Flying Ryan Performance (FRP) and talk to them about tuning it via HP,instead of diablo.

thanks

i have no issue going with an unlocked PCM, just need to find someone who is willing to tackle it
i will try to get in touch with Ryan tomorrow

(i considered HP before, i think Moes might have suggested them, but their "no phonecalls" policy did not instill much trust

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
thanks

i have no issue going with an unlocked PCM, just need to find someone who is willing to tackle it
i will try to get in touch with Ryan tomorrow

(i considered HP before, i think Moes might have suggested them, but their "no phonecalls" policy did not instill much trust

They aren't all that friendly or smart via email either :)

But their products are good. If you just want throttle response, why not just get Pedal Commander or one like it.

Don't see why the tuners that you listed wouldn't tune it. it's 5.7 Hemi, being in 2500 shouldn't matter much.

More power and better gas mileage don't' really go together though.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Did you check your air filter or clean your throttle body ?

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They aren't all that friendly or smart via email either :)

But their products are good. If you just want throttle response, why not just get Pedal Commander or one like it.

Don't see why the tuners that you listed wouldn't tune it. it's 5.7 Hemi, being in 2500 shouldn't matter much.

More power and better gas mileage don't' really go together though.
I dont want "just" a better throttle response, I want the whole package

Why they wont tune the 2500 with the 5.7 i dont know...from what i hear it has an oddball PCM
Did you check your air filter or clean your throttle body ?
The air filter is a pretty new K&N

I have not looked at the throttle body

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Why they wont tune the 2500 with the 5.7 i dont know...from what i hear it has an oddball PCM

That K&N filter isn't doing you much good,they're famous for only being a rock catcher,and dusting your intake.There's definitely better filters then it,including the stock filter

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

Then you should follow @Wild one advice above. Are you planning on doing any mods?
Seems like a lot money for old truck but not doing anything else.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get ahold of Chris Zelinsky at Player 3 Performance Tuning in Edmonton,and talk to him.He does remote tuning,and is every bit as good as the 3 big name US truck tuners are. He prefers phone calls,here's his number 1-780-655-6594

Picked this qoute up from a different thread, it sounds like Chris has no problem doing my truck with the HP tuners

I'm waiting on him to shoot me over a link

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats so funny, the reason Player 3 never tuned my truck was because of wanting to talk on the phone and missed my emails.

FRP loves emails, and yes you can get his # once you are a costumer. ;)

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats so funny, the reason Player 3 never tuned my truck was because of wanting to talk on the phone and missed my emails.

FRP loves emails, and yes you can get his # once you are a costumer. ;)
well, it turns out Chris wasnt very interested in my business iether, i spoke with him on the phone twice, then radio silence

shot him a few text...nothing

i finally ended up going with an outfit from florida, called American Muscle Performance
they were great to work with

i ended up buying a used PCM and send it to them, they unlocked and reprogrammed it, much better

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That K&N filter isn't doing you much good,they're famous for only being a rock catcher,and dusting your intake.There's definitely better filters then it,including the stock filter
Second this, get rid of the k&n and go back to stock. You will probably get marginally better airflow.

That truck weighs probably 1,000 pounds more than a 1500 similarly optioned out, your fighting an uphill battle with trying to make it a jackrabbit. First, take everything out of it like tools, hitch on the back, bed cover, running boards. All that is free and will provide possibly as much response as a tuner. If you have oversized wheels, go smaller. Make sure you are using top tier fuel.

Now, I had a 5.7 in my 2003 but I had 2wd, extended cab, and kept onboard gear to a minimum. I never really felt like it was lacking, but night and day difference with my current 2500 with 6.4.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
well, it turns out Chris wasnt very interested in my business iether, i spoke with him on the phone twice, then radio silence

shot him a few text...nothing

i finally ended up going with an outfit from florida, called American Muscle Performance
they were great to work with

i ended up buying a used PCM and send it to them, they unlocked and reprogrammed it, much better
The Boeglar (sp?) brothers have a pretty decent rep,so they're a good choice to tune it.