thank you everyone for all the help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I finally figured out what I did wrong. She's alive now!!!

You need to connect both positive and negative to EACH red and white rca inputs. Woops.

and...btw...you do NOT need to tap into 2 different speaker lines for the high level input. you just need ONE and it seems to work just fine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep. I have to say HOLY HELL this system sounds amazing and I'm not even done with the sound deadening yet!!! I'm absolutely thrilled with the sound and the bass now....boy was it lacking before....I'd forgotten how much I love BASS in my music!

I learned a lot by doing this project and I really appreciate all the help from everyone here!

The best part about this entire install is how much $$$ I'm saving by doing it myself and learning as I go. The ridiculous quotes I got from my local shops to do the speaker, amp, and sub install was NUTS!!! it would have cost me almost $1000 in labour alone (things are $$$ here in Canada) and im willing to be they wouldn't have taken the time or care that I did since its' MY truck.

I'm having a great time with this!!! I can't wait to finish my sound deadening and really see what I'm working with!!!

and here's a note to any who might be considering doing this speaker/stereo upgrade. you do NOT have to buy super expensive speakers to get good sound....miles better than what's stock in your truck right now that's for sure! remember the law of diminishing returns as it really applies to audio equipment! twice as expensive does NOT mean twice as good. not even close!

thanks again for everyone's patience and help with this project!

Last edited:
OP
OP
JinxCanada

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
one thing I have realized is this. I do NOT need to wire the subs to 1 ohm like I was planning to. They are pounding like hell (almost bottoming them out) at 500 watts rms....so unless I upgrade my subs I don't think I need to run at 1 ohm.

autokraftgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Sounds like they are clipping.
Yea I agree...subs (and speakers in general) usually can mechanically handle way more power than advertised but manufacturers play on the side of caution. Clipping will get your subs/speakers uncomfortable VERY quickly. Id back the gain down on sub amp just a titch. Clipping is the killer. Glad you had fun with the install. Advertised labor rates is what turned me into a diy guy with car audio. So I can relate. Finishing your deadening/sound treatments will def be an audible improvement. And I agree, Install, tuning, and intelligent choice of speaker size is way more imprtant than how much one paid for their speakers. Sounds like you are on the right path...no pun intended.
If you want to go down that rabbit hole, one will start tone chasing for those speakers that simply speak to them with proper tone, dynamics, and realism......AND NO...I wont use the word CLARITY haha....the word has been beaten to death here as of late. Anyway...enjoy your hard work sir!

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
Yea I agree...subs (and speakers in general) usually can mechanically handle way more power than advertised but manufacturers play on the side of caution. Clipping will get your subs/speakers uncomfortable VERY quickly. Id back the gain down on sub amp just a titch. Clipping is the killer. Glad you had fun with the install. Advertised labor rates is what turned me into a diy guy with car audio. So I can relate. Finishing your deadening/sound treatments will def be an audible improvement. And I agree, Install, tuning, and intelligent choice of speaker size is way more imprtant than how much one paid for their speakers. Sounds like you are on the right path...no pun intended.
If you want to go down that rabbit hole, one will start tone chasing for those speakers that simply speak to them with proper tone, dynamics, and realism......AND NO...I wont use the word CLARITY haha....the word has been beaten to death here as of late. Anyway...enjoy your hard work sir!

Clarity is only important when comparing high end amplified speakers to low end non amplified speakers :laughing1: