The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I did a oil on Thursday with amsoil signature series 0w40 and I do notice that the engine sounds a bit quieter.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I did a oil on Thursday with amsoil signature series 0w40 and I do notice that the engine sounds a bit quieter.

How are your engine temps with the AMSOIL? In years past when I ran it, always dropped the engine temps 5 degrees or more during normal operation.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Looking at the gauge it looked the same but I'll get into the evic display and look this afternoon

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just read this whole thread because the noise this 6.4 makes was alarming me. I want to convince myself it's "normal". I thought the 5.7 was noisy, but WOW was I in for a suprise!

The build date in my door jam is 5-14 and I don't have DJ in my VIN (it's GJ) so hoping I am clear.

Mine has the same startup sounds in the vids posted here and I definitely notice the "talkative" nature of this mill with the windows rolled down. Especially in traffic when it echos off the cars next to you. I guess she's just a chatty girl and I'll get used to it.

Tach_tech seems to sum it up as "everything is heavy duty- even the sound" lol

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Don't let the sales code stop you from investigating further. PM me for the service bulletin if you decide to go see the dealer about this.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Maybe I'll take it to the dealership my BIL works for. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in the service department here. I'd likely get a lube kid checking it.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
well, at 4900 miles I took my 15 tradesman 3500 in for the clattering lower end noise and 3 days later it's still sitting there waiting for word from corporate. the service guys all acknowledge that theres a noise there that shouldn't be and it's not a normal noise. my date of mfr on the door sticker says 11/14 but the engine would obviously have to have been put together before that date. Ram and my dealer better make this right. This is exactly why i'm paying the ridiculous payment on a new truck, so I wouldn't have to deal with this broken down crap! I drove my 99 CTD for almost 17 years and I can't get 17 weeks on this one. unhappy to say the least.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am trying to figure out what would be considered "normal noise"?

Mine is quiet as a mouse with the windows closed- just a bit of growl when I get on it. But when I roll my windows down, I can definitely hear what I can only describe as a faint pinging- and it echoes off the vehicles around me, almost like a tiny exhaust leak- but they have looked twice now and can't find an exhaust leak and keep telling me it's normal sound for the 6.4L. Startup noise is none existent- it's sounds the same as my 5.7. It's just when I get on it.

I dunno. Maybe I am worried about nothing. I was kind of hoping to set a baseline for what would be considered "normal" under load or acceleration. Maybe @Tach_tech could lend a little advise? Are the 6.4L just a naturally noisy engine?

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Mine makes has a noise on cold start ups (doesn't matter how warm or cold it is). It mostly goes away once the engine warms up but turns into what sounds like a compression leak. The more throttle you give it the louder it is. Now it's not loud but very noticeable

This is exactly what I am hearing from mine. You described it best. I have been told twice that it's normal for the 6.4L. I dunno. If it's normal, I'd hate to hear it in another 100k or so....

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I am trying to figure out what would be considered "normal noise"?

Mine is quiet as a mouse with the windows closed- just a bit of growl when I get on it. But when I roll my windows down, I can definitely hear what I can only describe as a faint pinging- and it echoes off the vehicles around me, almost like a tiny exhaust leak- but they have looked twice now and can't find an exhaust leak and keep telling me it's normal sound for the 6.4L. Startup noise is none existent- it's sounds the same as my 5.7. It's just when I get on it.

I dunno. Maybe I am worried about nothing. I was kind of hoping to set a baseline for what would be considered "normal" under load or acceleration. Maybe @Tach_tech could lend a little advise? Are the 6.4L just a naturally noisy engine?

Ya they're a little on the noisy side, even the heavy duty 5.7 is noisier than the 5.7 in a 1500. The noise you describe as almost like an exhaust noise is normal, that was the first thing I thought the first time I heard one, but after driving enough of them I can tell what's normal and what isn't.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
well, at 4900 miles I took my 15 tradesman 3500 in for the clattering lower end noise and 3 days later it's still sitting there waiting for word from corporate. the service guys all acknowledge that theres a noise there that shouldn't be and it's not a normal noise. my date of mfr on the door sticker says 11/14 but the engine would obviously have to have been put together before that date. Ram and my dealer better make this right. This is exactly why i'm paying the ridiculous payment on a new truck, so I wouldn't have to deal with this broken down crap! I drove my 99 CTD for almost 17 years and I can't get 17 weeks on this one. unhappy to say the least.

Precisely why when my dealership even made mention of the idea that they could trade me out I jumped on it. Went back to the diesel world and wont look back once...

more power, better economy and higher resale... win win in my book...

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
why is that? (not being a wise ass, just wondering). Is it cause of the space in the compartment

Honestly I'm not quite sure why. I'm sure HD engines don't have to meet the same requirements as what a 1500 would. I don't think engine compartment size is why. The HD engines will likely have some slight changes to the internal components, which probably contributes to increased noise.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Why dont you just take it to a dealer and ask them if you can hear one of the new trucks next to yours to compare?

I did. Honestly they were all over the map. 1 '14 and 3 '15s. The '14 was noisy, 1 of the '15s was, but two were quiet as a mouse.

The reason we tried so many is because I am not the first to complain about the noise with that dealership- but they did say that when I complain, they figure it's definitely an issue so they needed to see for themselves.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I don't get if this is normal then why don't they all do it??

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Precisely why when my dealership even made mention of the idea that they could trade me out I jumped on it. Went back to the diesel world and wont look back once...

more power, better economy and higher resale... win win in my book...

I would jump on it too although I'm not all that excited about the emissions garbage on the new diesels. Dealer called today and Chrysler needs them to drop the oil pan and inspect it, which they can't start on til Monday. It's been there since Tuesday. Suspect they'll be calling next week to tell me nothing is wrong.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don't get if this is normal then why don't they all do it??

It depends on what noise your talking about, if it's a knock when it's cold but goes away in 20min or so, that's not normal, that's the wrist pin issue.

The 6.4 makes different noises and is louder then a hemi, so a lot of people aren't used to hearing it so it sounds like something is wrong to them.

Last edited:

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
The squealing chirping noise that I posted in the videos... once it's up to temp it quiets down. But loud until then. Not all trucks has the noise but still claim it's normal?