The Clattering Truck Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
As predicted Chrysler and the dealer claim there is nothing wrong with a hemi that knocks like a diesel when you start it. According to the service manager they went "above and beyond" to try to diagnose by pulling the oil pan and inspecting. Apparently QC for Ram trucks is no visible chunks of engine parts in the oil. The SM made me feel a lot better when he said "i have a 5.7 and it's noisier than your 6.4." What a joke. It was in the shop for 9 days and what I get is sorry, theres nothing we can do. Of course, there are all kinds of things they could do since they're the dealer that sold it to me, they simply choose not to. I suppose it has to completely **** the bed before anyone at Chrysler or the dealership admits they have a much bigger problem than what is called out on their TSB. The SM admitted to me that they have torn down several of them and found metal shavings in the pan. Wish I had bought a different motor or at least waited until 2016. Mine was made November of 14 so BUYERS BEWARE. I drove my last one with a CTD for almost 17 years and never had engine problems except for the injector pump which finally gave up the ghost. I love the gen 4 but right now I'd take the old one back with a shot injector pump, all it's other problems and my $40k. Now I'm out the money and have a truck i can't sell if i wanted to.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
As predicted Chrysler and the dealer claim there is nothing wrong with a hemi that knocks like a diesel when you start it. According to the service manager they went "above and beyond" to try to diagnose by pulling the oil pan and inspecting. Apparently QC for Ram trucks is no visible chunks of engine parts in the oil. The SM made me feel a lot better when he said "i have a 5.7 and it's noisier than your 6.4." What a joke. It was in the shop for 9 days and what I get is sorry, theres nothing we can do. Of course, there are all kinds of things they could do since they're the dealer that sold it to me, they simply choose not to. I suppose it has to completely **** the bed before anyone at Chrysler or the dealership admits they have a much bigger problem than what is called out on their TSB. The SM admitted to me that they have torn down several of them and found metal shavings in the pan. Wish I had bought a different motor or at least waited until 2016. Mine was made November of 14 so BUYERS BEWARE. I drove my last one with a CTD for almost 17 years and never had engine problems except for the injector pump which finally gave up the ghost. I love the gen 4 but right now I'd take the old one back with a shot injector pump, all it's other problems and my $40k. Now I'm out the money and have a truck i can't sell if i wanted to.

Like I mentioned earlier, drive it for a bit and get a independent oil analysis done. It will let you know if you have elevated wear and a data point to push back on.

I feel your pain, but you got to get some hard facts on your side to push back.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I have heard a cracked flexplate make a knocking sound like that, but it did not go away as things heated up.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I was wondering polecat94, does yours only make that noise at startup then hush up or does it do it all the time?

Just yesterday mine starting making that exact noise for a few seconds at startup then stopped right away. I passed it off as oil starvation from a cold start. Now it's been doing it since on subsequent starts if the truck sits for 5 or 6 hours. I have an appointment at the dealer today at 1530hrs.

derag2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was wondering polecat94, does yours only make that noise at startup then hush up or does it do it all the time?

Just yesterday mine starting making that exact noise for a few seconds at startup then stopped right away. I passed it off as oil starvation from a cold start. Now it's been doing it since on subsequent starts if the truck sits for 5 or 6 hours. I have an appointment at the dealer today at 1530hrs.

I feel your pain.... I traded my Cummins in on this Truck also and i regret it everyday.. These engines sound like crap and all they say is normal operation..

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Boy post like these sure gets me thinking I dont need a new truck.
I have been looking at Dodges and Fords and they both seem to have the same motor problems, knocking rattling bad motors.
The Ford 6.2l has issues and lacks power, the 5.0l has bad cylinders and knocks and rattles.
Dodge 6.4l has plenty of issuses rattles wrist pins ,
Whats all bad on the 5.7 ? Lol

But really these post makes you second guess getting a new ride.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Boy post like these sure gets me thinking I dont need a new truck.
I have been looking at Dodges and Fords and they both seem to have the same motor problems, knocking rattling bad motors.
The Ford 6.2l has issues and lacks power, the 5.0l has bad cylinders and knocks and rattles.
Dodge 6.4l has plenty of issuses rattles wrist pins ,
Whats all bad on the 5.7 ? Lol

But really these post makes you second guess getting a new ride.

The 5.7 is pretty well bulletproof, virtually never see them in the shop for any mechanical issues.

The thing with the 6.4 is it's a new engine, of course there is going to be teething issues the first couple years. I've been wrenching long enough on Chryslers to know that any time a new engine/transmission is released that it's going to have some issues in the first couple years. It sucks, and shouldn't be the case, but it is wether people like it or not. Every manufacture seems to have those issues with new equipment. They can do all the R&D and testing they want, but you never know for sure till they get out into circulation.

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry to hear you got no satisfaction, polecat94.

I really really really don't think that the bad wrist pin issue ended in October.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
The 5.7 is pretty well bulletproof, virtually never see them in the shop for any mechanical issues.

The thing with the 6.4 is it's a new engine, of course there is going to be teething issues the first couple years. I've been wrenching long enough on Chryslers to know that any time a new engine/transmission is released that it's going to have some issues in the first couple years. It sucks, and shouldn't be the case, but it is wether people like it or not. Every manufacture seems to have those issues with new equipment. They can do all the R&D and testing they want, but you never know for sure till they get out into circulation.

Yeah I know but its frustrating that a person thinks they are buying a new truck so they dont have to worry about problems, then to find the trucks I am looking at are the ones with problems..lol
My father was a GM tech his whole life so I know how it works but it just seems like this day and age we should have less problems or less major ones anyway.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Yeah I know but its frustrating that a person thinks they are buying a new truck so they dont have to worry about problems, then to find the trucks I am looking at are the ones with problems..lol
My father was a GM tech his whole life so I know how it works but it just seems like this day and age we should have less problems or less major ones anyway.

I share your frustration both as the guy having to fix them and owning a new truck as well. You're right though, people buy new vehicles so they don't have to worry about it having issues. It just sucks when you're the new vehicle is one of the few that have issues.

You'd think now a days we wouldn't have these issues but vehicles keep getting more and more complicated. Mind you I bet people were saying the same thing 40years ago lol.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

The internet and boards like this tend to over amplify problems larger than they actually are. Nobody want to be "that guy" that has a **** and when you are that guy, everything just seems like a **** sandwich regardless.

Simple truth is vehicles while more complicated, have been steadily improving in quality and performance year after year and the vast majority of people have no major problems but those who do, are more apt to post about it.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
The internet and boards like this tend to over amplify problems larger than they actually are. Nobody want to be "that guy" that has a **** and when you are that guy, everything just seems like a **** sandwich regardless.

Simple truth is vehicles while more complicated, have been steadily improving in quality and performance year after year and the vast majority of people have no major problems but those who do, are more apt to post about it.

I've been saying that for a long time. I always get people saying things like " I went on the Internet and apparently it's a very common issue" regardless what their issue is. Always have to tell them that when people have an issue and are upset they like to complain about it. People rarely go on a forum and say " I just wanted everyone to know that my car is great!"

OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, I really find it odd that folks accept what they read on the internet and take if for gospel.

For my truck it was just a hands on, follow the procedure, test and assess the issue which led to a new engine.

I just wanted everyone to know that, now, my truck is great! :D

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Well I never said that this post was the gospel or that this was every truck.
A person looking for a new truck that finds a post like this will raise concerns, if you google 6.4 dodge engine noises this is not the only post out there , just like the 5.0 Ford there is a ton of post on it.

Yeah the odds of getting one with a motor problem is slim and going off the forums out there should not be held as the gospel but pretending that there is no problem is not smart either,
for me its just doing some research on the trucks I am looking at and what problems they may or maynot have.

wyo2track

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 2500
Engine
6.4L Hemi w/ 4.10's

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I took a couple videos of the wrist pin knock the other day. Just uploaded them tonight. Another tech is actually doing the repair now so I might not be able to get a video after.

http://youtu.be/SzCjfSwgdA0

http://youtu.be/ymB9l1ykXL8

On second listen with my headphones, mine sounds NOTHING like that. Mine is more of a tapping that disappears quickly. I am not going to lose sleep over that.

I get that sound for a couple seconds at start- but only sometimes. Didn't do it at all today. It disappears within a couple seconds after oil pressure builds, so I am going to chalk it up to lack of oil at startup. I'm going to replace the oil filter this weekend to see if it's a faulty anti drainback valve or something silly and easy.

Thanks for the vids! Should set some minds at ease.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
MADDOG

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The comment wasn't directed at you personally.

Caution is good when deciding where you will spend your hard earned money. If you do a cold start up on a 6.4L and hear a loud clattering sound then either walk away or be ready to deal with the service bulletin requirements in concert with your dealer.

This issue has given some potential owners pause and in some cases even caused some current owners to begin to hear things. :D However, it's an issue experienced by a minority of 6.4L owners and the diagnostic seems pretty straight forward.

There is that other noise that sounds like a belt squeak or chirp and some rattling heat shields that may be causing some concern that the truck has the wrist pin issue. I can tell you, having had the belt issue and a heat shield issue, that the wrist pin defect sounds nothing like those other two.

Not sure why polecat's dealer decided to start tearing down the engine vs. doing the cold start test procedure. It seems reasonable and obvious to NOT assume there are no engines outside the build and VIN ranges that got the undersized wrist pins.

Regardless, once they focus in on the problem, the fix is in (at least for this specific issue) and that's when the truck really comes into its own. The 6.4L engine is a good one and my truck has proven to be a great performer, albeit a bit rough on the fuel consumption. That must be a result of my heavy right foot. :naughty:

Well I never said that this post was the gospel or that this was every truck.
A person looking for a new truck that finds a post like this will raise concerns, if you google 6.4 dodge engine noises this is not the only post out there , just like the 5.0 Ford there is a ton of post on it.

Yeah the odds of getting one with a motor problem is slim and going off the forums out there should not be held as the gospel but pretending that there is no problem is not smart either,
for me its just doing some research on the trucks I am looking at and what problems they may or maynot have.

polecat94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
They (the dealer AND Chrysler) do not want to admit that there are wrist pin issues outside of the limited dates of the TSB. The noise I've posted is clearly consistent with other diagnosed wrist pin issues. They did not use the diagnosis procedures on the TSB simply because of the date range. I'm sure it's a minority with engine issues. The point is it shouldn't be any, and by that I mean if you let a ************* off your assembly line make it right and buy it back or fix it. Don't tell me there's nothing you can do or everything is fine because there is no metal in the oil pan. You've got to be kidding! I can't believe I actually heard that from the SM. What makes a metal on metal tapping noise? Metal tapping on metal in a brand new hemi with 4900 miles on it. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what needs to be done here. Putting together 1 or 2 or 20 ****** motors isn't the issue. Sticking your hand in someone's pocket for $40k dollars and then not backing up your products is. And it seems like there's at least a few of us this is happening to. No amount of sugar is going to make me swallow that.