The dreaded 2nd gen transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zachl88

Reaction score
OK guys so its been a while since I've been on here. Work, wife, the wood shop, and the baby keep me pretty busy. Well as we all know the 2nd gen trucks are known for their transmission issues. I believe MADI is about to lose her legs. Changed the fluid and filter. I don't believe the original owners ever did this. There was a half inch thick build up on the magnet. Still slipping or just coming completely out of gear while driving. Not shifting at all. So here's where I need help. I'm not interested in a rebuild. I would like some advice as to exactly what I'm looking for and recommendations on where to look. New nothing used. So... MADI is a 2001 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport ORE. She has a very healthy 5.9l V8 Mag. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
A rebuild is always good and you can get upgrades at the same time.
Why not a rebuild?

Just asking because they stopped making new transmissions for 2nd gens years ago.
But if and aftermarket floats your boat, look around. Somebody here may know.

But a lot of Trans shops will take a core, rebuild it, call it "NEW" and sell it to you because you don't want a rebuilt.

I got a free 302 Ford that way. Was a running engine, owner wanted a new engine, shop rebuilt a core and dropped it in, I got the used engine for my 69 F100. I couldnt argue about a free engine. I was 17. My gawd, that was 30 yrs ago.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
I have a few friends with the same truck and they have all had to have multiple rebuilds. I will say 2 are extremely hard on their trucks. My other friends takes care of his the way I do with mine. The best he can. If a rebuild would be considered what kind of upgrades would I be looking into? Ill admit Im not very mechanical. I can tear something apart and put it back together just have never tried a transmission. It'll be going somewhere I just want a general knowledge base when walking in.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I personally know a transmission rebuilder. He owns a performance shop. If I need a rebuild I'll go to him.
I suggest you ask locally a lot of people for the best shop in town. Google everything and ask more questions.
My guy is a family friend for over 40 years.

Everything can use upgrades. Like my old 727 with a bolted tail section and six sun gears and a remote vent and valve body and clutch upgrades. Beat it off road for 14 years and sold the truck three yrs ago and he's beating it.

codered

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 QCSB
Engine
magnum 5.9/360
I'd go with monster transmission if I had the money.

crazy_luck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've had 4 2nd gen trucks (although, one only lasted a few weeks before being totaled in an accident) and the 3 that I got to drive daily all had the issue - the solution? Rebuild, put in a big trans cooler and when going under 45mph, turn O/D off - the '99 I had came with a massive trans cooler and a fresh rebuild - I put nearly 120K on it in 7 years with no problems. The '01 I had just before the '13 I have now was starting to slip when I traded it in... My first '01 didn't have the usual slippage - it flat out grenaded (got stuck in neutral while shifting from drive to park because parts failed and there where big chunks of material in the pan). Rebuild and big trans cooler and O/D off under 45mph worked as long as I had that truck too.

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Not being a **** but I would probably move this to the 2nd gen section to get the most feedback. I went through several transmissions in my 95 ram. After the first one they were all covered under warranty

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get it rebuilt and upgraded by a reputable transmission shop then you will be fine. In stock form they can just barely handle the stock power of a 5.9. Most of these transmissions are literally dying from failure of normal maintenance and I'm not talking about just fluid changes either. You also have to do band adjustments and replacing governor pressure solenoid for a better one when the stock one ***** the bed and they basically all do. The 46re will last awhile if you take care of it, I've done it a couple of times with different trucks...not hard.

If you get an upgraded trans make sure you do the following:

-Upgrade clutches and steels to High energy or better
-Upgrade the governor pressure solenoid to a Borg Warner type
-Uograde the rear servo and front kick down servo assembly
-Put a better front pump in it
-OF ALL THINGS... Put a trans-go shift kit in the valve body (you will thank me)

Just that alone along with the normal gaskets and the misc electronics that need to be replaced, the trans will last forever unless you throw big power at it. While you are in there if you are looking for stock stall then get an RV converter. If you want more stall then there are tons of places for what might fit your bill.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys. Im not very tech savvy so I forgot about the 2nd gen specific forum lol after doing about 4 hours of online research and reading service manuals. Not to mention a loooonnnnggg drawn out convo with my father in law I am considering doing the rebuild/upgrades myself. We have access to all the tools. Other than replacing the mentioned components are there any other recommendations on things to try before going for a total rebuild?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
other option is to get on the debt ban wagon- Trade it in lol.

Kotta390

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
:3681700201_eef6d1e2
Thanks a lot guys. Im not very tech savvy so I forgot about the 2nd gen specific forum lol after doing about 4 hours of online research and reading service manuals. Not to mention a loooonnnnggg drawn out convo with my father in law I am considering doing the rebuild/upgrades myself. We have access to all the tools. Other than replacing the mentioned components are there any other recommendations on things to try before going for a total rebuild?

With as much metal that the trans is making, you are better off not diagnosing it further. It's toast... Sorry and it's hard to hear but the only way to get out of this cheaper in the short run is to buy a used one from a salvage yard or online, but you will probably end up having issues with it or maybe you won't? It's a gamble..

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
PATC viper transmission.

That or as said trade it in on a new truck.

OP
OP
Z

zachl88

Reaction score
Eh... First time father, new house payment, I can't quite afford a new truck for at least a year. And I'd like to see Madi stick around. She's a good truck.