The Dreaded Passenger Intermediate Dif Shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Goehring

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 & 2014
Engine
4.7 & 5.7
Alright guys, I thought it would be helpful to start a thread on this nightmare of a problem. For that are unfamiliar with this problem, let me fill you in. On the 2012+ 4x4 Rams, the cv axle slips off the c-clip that holds it to the differential shaft. When this happens, there is last contact and both the CV axle and differential shaft start to wear excessively causing the splines to wear down and cause wobble. Now if this happens on the driver's side, it's an easily replaceable part for about $50. Now the passenger side is a whole nother story. The shaft is not replaceable, and requires the entitle differential to be replaced. I have also seen cases where dirt and grime got in there and shoot it away as well.

I guess there's a machine shop up in Canada that machines the shaft and also sends new bearings and seals along with a dust seal to fix the problem. Now this is a great alternative to a new dif, but will still cost you over $600.

Now I've got an idea that I would like everyone's opinion on. I'm going to replace the CV axle so the splines will be good on that. On the dif shaft, the spline damage is only on the end of the shaft and that's where the wobble occurs. My idea is to drill and tap 4 opposing 5/16 set screws in the cv shaft as close to the end of the dif shaft as I can get. My thought are with the set screws is should be fairly easy to get it balanced on the shaft. Once balanced, remove each set screw on by one and place either red or blue Lock-tite and replace them. I am hoping this would take care of the wobble and eliminate the chance of it pulling out again. I've run my idea past 2 of my closest dealerships and they both thought it was a good idea since there is really nothing to loose. I've also thought about filling the cv end with JB cold weld before assembly to "fill" any voids but am not quite sure if I'll do that. I've got my cv axles and will be installing them soon. If any one has any ideas suggestions I'd love hear them. Hopefully together we can find a reasonable solution to this poorly designed problem

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Another option might be to install a crush sleeve type spacer between the outer axle shaft and the wheel hub,that'll help shove the CV into the diff and keep it from walking out and back onto the wore out section of the splines.Just a thought.

OP
OP
Nathan Goehring

Nathan Goehring

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 & 2014
Engine
4.7 & 5.7
Another option might be to install a crush sleeve type spacer between the outer axle shaft and the wheel hub,that'll help shove the CV into the diff and keep it from walking out and back onto the wore out section of the splines.Just a thought.
That's a great idea and might help as far as preventative as well. My problem is the axle is indexed by the c-clip and I still have play on the outer end of the dif shaft.

RSK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5,7
Here is the photo of this shaft. It is made for my Ram in Russia, Tomsk.
It is made from 3140 steel, and forged afterwards.
The price is about 300USD.
And the inner cv joint is rebuild with the more tight inner splines, so there is no play at all after the install.

20190726_203350.jpg

20190726_203401.jpg

20190726_203357.jpg

20190513_094916.jpg

Last edited:

Lexx1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
where did you order the shaft from
Thank you