The gas tank over-flowith

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
kinda weird, my truck has over flowed at the pump before I thought it was just a coincidence until I filled up my truck the other day and it did it again. Not sure what the deal is but if I lock the gas pump handle and leave it until it should click off it doesn’t and just shoots out everywhere. Tried multiple different pumps and still does it. Anyone know what the deal is?

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I know this is on the 4th gen, does it have the same set up as the 5th gens? The cap less set ups on these trucks are finicky little ******* and will stop the pump prematurely, overflow, etc. I’ve found the sweet spot but it took me almost a year.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Nope, us 4th gen guys have caps still (except for the EcoDiesel 4th gens, I believe they are capless).

Usually a check valve in the filler neck is responsible for this kind of issue, whenever I have seen it. Others may have other ideas though, its been a while since I have researched it. It happened to me on a 2006 Durango the wife used to own; FCA put out a service bulletin on the issue. It was weird because they made it apply to non-warrantied vehicles as well as warrantied ones, which was a good surprise to me.

Despite this, when the wife took it in for the bulletin, they tried to tell her service bulletins only apply to vehicles under warranty. They didn't even try to look it up, and politely argued with her for several minutes, even after she asked them to look it up. I had to go down to the dealership and tell them the exact bulletin number myself, and that I knew it was an unlimited mileage beyond-warranty type (I forget the specific number or terminology for it). They finally looked it up after I did that, and low-and-behold, I was right!

I won't go into the repair job they did (half-a$$ed and incorrect, had to be done again later). There is a reason I recommend a dealership 45 minutes away over the one here in town.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try pumping with the nozzle upside down (if you can, may not fit)......no I am not joking.

My boat will do this if you don't insert the nozzle upside down.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Are you sticking the nozzle all the way in? There are 2 separate flaps the nozzle has to go past on the cap less systems. If you’re only going past the first it will overflow.

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope, us 4th gen guys have caps still (except for the EcoDiesel 4th gens, I believe they are capless).

Usually a check valve in the filler neck is responsible for this kind of issue, whenever I have seen it. Others may have other ideas though, its been a while since I have researched it. It happened to me on a 2006 Durango the wife used to own; FCA put out a service bulletin on the issue. It was weird because they made it apply to non-warrantied vehicles as well as warrantied ones, which was a good surprise to me.

Despite this, when the wife took it in for the bulletin, they tried to tell her service bulletins only apply to vehicles under warranty. They didn't even try to look it up, and politely argued with her for several minutes, even after she asked them to look it up. I had to go down to the dealership and tell them the exact bulletin number myself, and that I knew it was an unlimited mileage beyond-warranty type (I forget the specific number or terminology for it). They finally looked it up after I did that, and low-and-behold, I was right!

I won't go into the repair job they did (half-a$$ed and incorrect, had to be done again later). There is a reason I recommend a dealership 45 minutes away over the one here in town.
What do you mean put out a service bulletin? Like was it a recall type thing where they fix it for free?

OP
OP
Matt Todd

Matt Todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sticking the nozzle all the way in? There are 2 separate flaps the nozzle has to go past on the cap less systems. If you’re only going past the first it will overflow.
I have a cap on mine and it’s set in as far as it’ll go.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have a cap on mine and it’s set in as far as it’ll go.

Sorry, thought you had a 5th gen. If it’s overflowing or shutting off constantly there’s a restriction or blockage somewhere in the vent system of your fuel tank/filler neck.

If you look at the bottom of your tank is it bowed inwards at all? This is another sign of a fault with the venting system.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
What do you mean put out a service bulletin? Like was it a recall type thing where they fix it for free?

It was a free fix, but not a recall. Recalls they mail you, email you, and/or call/text you. This was a service bulletin, meaning they were supposed to fix them if people ever brought the vehicle in, but they don't contact you for it.

Normally, service bulletins are only covered under warranty, not outside of warranty. This one, in my case, was a special/exemption type, where they were supposed to honor it even outside of warranty. Turns out it was a common issue with that model of Durango. I highly doubt it is related to your issue, it was just an example. I apologize if I got long-winded about it.

As Tach_tech said, it may be the vent system. The valve I was referring to was probably using the wrong terminology, his advice is the first thing I'd look at (or have a shop look at).

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the pumps around here, I can't overfill a gas can and they shut down pumps that cause your problem.

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
My last Ram did this often.

Now, I just put $40 in the new truck every time and be done with it.

unxpctd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 PW 75A
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2014 Durango could fit about 1/2 gallon extra in once it auto shut off.

My 2017 Rebel....once it auto shuts off...don't try and put a single more ounce in...it will overflow.

I've never had my Rebel overflow then shut off automatically. I just know never to put ANY extra in...at all.

roadrnnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine just started doing this also. After a little research it is a major problem with the 4'th Gen Rams. One fix said to clean a filter in the small line from the filler neck that goes up behind the fender cover. Have not had a chance to investigate further.