The higher Octane Dispute

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craigsez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
crazzywolf..Im thinkin your haven issues with fuel in your area to get those results..

I never had any of my gas powered engines(crotch rockets,hemis,lawn mowers ect) look like that..

Hell why dont you run a mix of pump and av gas..Should fix anything that looks like that..

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
i have the v6 so idk if this is helpfull, but i have been running 87, been getting 19.5 mpg's ran 89 in this current tank and got 20.4 mpgs

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
crazzywolf..Im thinkin your haven issues with fuel in your area to get those results..

I never had any of my gas powered engines(crotch rockets,hemis,lawn mowers ect) look like that..

Hell why dont you run a mix of pump and av gas..Should fix anything that looks like that..
it is not just my area. you can go on nearly any small engine forum and find people having issues with there small engine that is caused by ethanol in the cheap fuel. i have been running premium gas in my carbed engines for over 5 years and have not had to touch the carbs since. i have also fixed many lawn mowers and snow blowers which have had the exact same issue.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I think the rams are set up to run 89 oct..
Hemi motors can use 89
i have the v6 so idk if this is helpfull, but i have been running 87, been getting 19.5 mpg's ran 89 in this current tank and got 20.4 mpgs
Pentastar motors are factory tuned for 87. Is your's a Pentastar or one of the older V6s?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I use 91 no ethanol in everything I have, but only occasionally with my truck. My truck I run 89 and get 91 no eth every once in awhile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi

My guess is you don't have alcohol to deal with in your fuel. Makes a big difference in corrosion and moisture level in the fuel.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I have tried 89 with no apparent improvement.

I run 87 most days and have plenty of power, so not going to pay $0.40 per gallon more for no improvement in mileage and no improvement I can feel in the butt dyno--especially with a 32 gallon tank.

That adds to real money pretty darn quick. :burnout:

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Typically, I fill up to a full tank every time and I usually fill up when the needle is between 1/2 and 3/8 left - about 15 gallons - I always fill up with 89 which is 10 cents more than 87, which is a whopping $1.50 more per fill-up. The few times I use the 93 (with no ethanol) at a local station when I run some carbon cleaner through the tank, it's a whopping $2.20 more per tank... Considering I fill up 2 times a week, I'm out $3.00 more than I would be if I used 87...
Its 40 cents more where I am for 89 and 65 cents for primo.

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its 40 cents more where I am for 89 and 65 cents for primo.

Those differences are peanuts! Us Canadians get bent over at the pump. :flipthebird:

Gas prices as of right now:

92.9c/L for 87 = $3.51/US gal
102.9c/L for 89 = $3.89/US gal
108.9c/L for 91 = $4.12/US gal

I'm not even in a major city centre like Vancouver, where regular is sitting at about $1.10/L!!!

SpinDr.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those differences are peanuts! Us Canadians get bent over at the pump. :flipthebird:

Gas prices as of right now:

92.9c/L for 87 = $3.51/US gal
102.9c/L for 89 = $3.89/US gal
108.9c/L for 91 = $4.12/US gal

I'm not even in a major city centre like Vancouver, where regular is sitting at about $1.10/L!!!
How much of that is tax??

KarL45

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express quad cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 MDS
As someone who almost exclusively has ran the 10% ethanol fuel since the early 70's I truly can't say I've not experienced any problems as far as performance and mileage, and have really never saw any gain when I've changed to no ethanol for a test on anything from cars, motorcycles, chain saws, to lawnmowers. I do know, back in the day, the ethanol actually increased the octane rating of the fuels. running say 85 with 10% and then without , would definitely require me to reset the ignition timing or drive considerably more conservative. Also, altitude, ambient air temp, and humidity also would play a part in mileage as well as performance. I know that these things are the same today but the engine electronics and sensors are able to compensate for them today unlike the older vintage vehicles. The only problem with the ethanol I've encountered is in small engines that the fuel lines will deteriorate over about 3 to 4 years. Even then I wonder if the ethanol has separated out of the gas. My relative next door has this problem about yearly or sooner and I do about every 4 years or longer. We buy fuel at different stations so that is why I wonder about the initial mix. Last, pulling 13k with the 6.4, have ran from 87 (89 not available) and also 91 and truly can't see any difference in performance or mileage. I just stick with the 89.