Thermostat now or later???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Need a little advice on this one.

Im just saw the whole concept behing the 180* tstat and it makes sense but im not sure if right now is ok for me.

I have a CAI and a catback exhaust installed. I plan on the tb next (not sure which size so any input on that would be nice), followed by DS tuner and possibly even headers (havent decided long or short).

If i do the tstat now, would i run too rich for what i have. Its a cheap mod to do so this isnt something that really beeds to be planned or thought about too much but if id be wasting my time at this point then ill wait.

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bump

smarsmar101

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
87mm throttle body if u plan on headers. 85 if not planning headers. Also, Tstat is recommended with a tuner.

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you get it now, it won't effect the truck much other than running cooler. I saw no difference in MPGs this winter with the 180* stat over the stock one last winter. Also, there was no adjustment needed with the tune to run it, unless you have or are planning to run efans.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
If you get it now, it won't effect the truck much other than running cooler. I saw no difference in MPGs this winter with the 180* stat over the stock one last winter. Also, there was no adjustment needed with the tune to run it, unless you have or are planning to run efans.

How cold are your winters? Cause im pretty sure at -30 celcius im gonna want my stock tstat lol
But in the summer its just as easy to get +30 celcius and ill want that extra cooling
Maybe i should compromise and get like a 190 tstat lol

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It got down to - 26* F(with windchill) here if I recall correctly. Summer has gotten up to 105-110* F.

on the move..

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It didn't run any worse when it was that cold either.

on the move..

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Trucks dont feel windchill but anyways, more research is in order...

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ive heard a couple conflicting reports about mpgs. Its a cheap part and a quick swap so it really doesnt seem like that big of a deal if i get it and it doesnt perform as expected.

As far as the tb goes. 87 for long tubes and shorties or just longs. I still havent decided if the long tubes are worth that much more for an everyday driver

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Post #7
Just saw an explaination on the actual function of the tstat and this is what ive discovered.

Lower Tstats are pretty useless for everyday driving.

Just gonna keep my stock one because it already runs cool

popcenator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post #7
Just saw an explaination on the actual function of the tstat and this is what ive discovered.

Lower Tstats are pretty useless for everyday driving.

Just gonna keep my stock one because it already runs cool

A lower thermostat can help keep pinging down while running a custom tune, which is why I run one. Some say Hemi's run better colder as well anyway.

Detox

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How cold are your winters? Cause im pretty sure at -30 celcius im gonna want my stock tstat lol
But in the summer its just as easy to get +30 celcius and ill want that extra cooling
Maybe i should compromise and get like a 190 tstat lol

I have a 175 T-stat and ran it this winter with the super cold conditons. No effect on the running of the truck, just forget about getting a nice heat in the cab lol. I found once it got below -15C (actual) getting the cab hot was near impossible.

cd36

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l Hemi
I see a lower temp thermostat more useful for someone wanting every last ounce of power on the strip, but for a daily driver not necessary.

As well as not getting proper heat in cold temperatures keep in mind that not allowing engines to warm up to proper operating temperature is harder on them, specifically the oil. A warmed up engine burns off condensation in the oil improving oil life, that is why one of the conditions for the severe service rating in your manual is short trips where engine doesn't reach operating temperatures. Now just imagine if long trips don't even get you to operating temperatures it will be that much harder on your oil.

I say not worth it unless you are squeezing every last ounce of power out of your truck.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

OP
OP
SFD213

SFD213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah thats pretty much what ive read too. The tstat doesnt change the "cieling" of you engine temp, just the "floor". So it wont cool more when running hard any more than the stock one, itll just start cooling sooner. Really not much pros to out weigh cons