This is going to be fun...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Its going to take at least a 60hp gain to get my truck into the 11's. My 12.49 was in the best DA I'm going to get, and trying to go from a 12.49 to an 11.99 is a huge drop in ET. I would be happy with a 12.2, but the goal is 11.99. Its going to take perfect weather and a lot of luck to see 11's N/A.

I have pulled the passenger seat, spare tire, and front swaybar, but otherwise, the truck is far from being stripped down. I will be running with the tailgate now for better traction off the line, and the rest of the interior is in place. It weighed 4500lbs with me in it on that 12.49 pass. I have pulled a few lbs off the front since then, but I have added that weight back with the tailgate being back on now.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Good luck man, you'll get it there for sure!

hemiexp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I couldn't see how you could justify the amount of money for a heads/cam combo for these trucks if you can't see gains 60rwhp. I know we're not talking ls motors here but I would be pretty disappointed. Givin your truck isn't a dd I'm sure it's going to be a pretty aggressive setup. I could see justifying a cam swap I mean that's relitively cheap and you could see good gains . For the money it's better than longtubes. Going to be interesting to see and hope you the best. Not bashing you at all.

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I couldn't see how you could justify the amount of money for a heads/cam combo for these trucks if you can't see gains 60rwhp. I know we're not talking ls motors here but I would be pretty disappointed. Givin your truck isn't a dd I'm sure it's going to be a pretty aggressive setup. I could see justifying a cam swap I mean that's relitively cheap and you could see good gains . For the money it's better than longtubes. Going to be interesting to see and hope you the best. Not bashing you at all.

Not many guys have successfully installed heads and bigger cams in these 4th gens, so it is just new territory. Only reason I am doing this is because 2-3 months ago, I had a customer pick up just over 60hp from a similar heads/cam package and by switching from shorties to longtubes. I'm guessing 50hp came from the heads/cam and the other 10 came from the header swap. I'd like to see similar gains, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high just yet.

As for hp per dollar, I am doing this to hopefully make ground for the rest of you guys. If someone doesn't put down the money to try it, then we will never know what works and what doesn't. My cam is nothing crazy, and we are keeping stock valves in the heads, so it isn't some kind of radical setup that wouldn't benefit the everyday truck.

We will know more in a few weeks. I will be doing a before dyno with the current setup prior to installing the new heads/cam.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I get where you're coming from man. My WS6 picked up 120/102 at the wheels with heads/cam/intake/tune/LT's.

But you gotta remember that your cam selections are limited in a truck because you can't move all the power up high or it won't get off the line even with gears and a converter. Also, the tuning poses a threat for being able to choose a cam that makes good power. I agree that the cost is outrageous if you're not going to see even 60rwhp gains. But matt has stated that this is to see what you can pull out of a 5.7 stock block. We will have to see what kind of numbers he can get

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is the cost really that outrageous when you are comparing it to a supercharger kit? 60WHP for $3000 to $4000. 100 to 120 WHP for $6000 to $7000. Seems like it fits in to me. :hmm:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Not many guys have successfully installed heads and bigger cams in these 4th gens, so it is just new territory. Only reason I am doing this is because 2-3 months ago, I had a customer pick up just over 60hp from a similar heads/cam package and by switching from shorties to longtubes. I'm guessing 50hp came from the heads/cam and the other 10 came from the header swap. I'd like to see similar gains, but I don't want to get my hopes up too high just yet.

As for hp per dollar, I am doing this to hopefully make ground for the rest of you guys. If someone doesn't put down the money to try it, then we will never know what works and what doesn't. My cam is nothing crazy, and we are keeping stock valves in the heads, so it isn't some kind of radical setup that wouldn't benefit the everyday truck.

We will know more in a few weeks. I will be doing a before dyno with the current setup prior to installing the new heads/cam.

That's just good business, if it works and your getting around 60hp you'll be selling them for sure. I'd want to buy it.

hemiexp04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Oh no doubt someone's got to try it. I'm glad that we are finally getting some aftermarket help. Trust me if we had all this back in 2010/2011 when I had my rcsb it would been on. Years ago we had absolutely none. Are the heads stock castings and just ported or what?

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Oh no doubt someone's got to try it. I'm glad that we are finally getting some aftermarket help. Trust me if we had all this back in 2010/2011 when I had my rcsb it would been on. Years ago we had absolutely none. Are the heads stock castings and just ported or what?

Yes, they are just ported stock heads.

w6pea

U.S.Marine Corps Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500 "Laramie" 4x2 CC/LB SRW 6.7L CTD Leer 122 Campershell
Engine
6.7L IL6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Interesting post, or I should say thread, I guess I might watch this.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem is not so simple. Here's that fat truth. Our trucks are vvt. Don't put the right grind in, your truck sucks a**. The Vvt system is shut off because no one has R&D those new vvt table. You need to know what the VTP clearncess are. Hence you need the new vvt unlocked to check full retard clearence with cam installed. Although the eagle head flows 331cfm at .600 lift intake, the exhaust port sucks a** @181cfm. Shut the vvt off without better flowing exhaust port, it's all going into your intake manifold. For a real gain at this point in our world, Eagle ported heads with 6.1 size valves or straight up 6.1 heads. Without an active vvt system, you're starting with a handicap. I want to hear from somebody with a aftermarket cam with vvt on. That's the money! Matt 60 hp is yours with headers.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm utilizing the stock phaser on my setup. And also have designed a cam to overcome the weakness of the heads. When I see the design of cams out there for these trucks it's comical, it's obvious they don't understand what they are doing and the power the gains are out of luck...

Good luck... because your going to need it.

You're still going to need a new vvt table to fully take advantage of the cam? The benefit is you're a tuner who can take the time to R&D your set-up to dial it in. There are 40-50 challengers who have put in the 266, 270, 274 comp cams that have made Power. With the right set-up, 80-110 hp/tq

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
The problem is not so simple. Here's that fat truth. Our trucks are vvt. Don't put the right grind in, your truck sucks a**. The Vvt system is shut off because no one has R&D those new vvt table. You need to know what the VTP clearncess are. Hence you need the new vvt unlocked to check full retard clearence with cam installed. Although the eagle head flows 331cfm at .600 lift intake, the exhaust port sucks a** @181cfm. Shut the vvt off without better flowing exhaust port, it's all going into your intake manifold. For a real gain at this point in our world, Eagle ported heads with 6.1 size valves or straight up 6.1 heads. Without an active vvt system, you're starting with a handicap. I want to hear from somebody with a aftermarket cam with vvt on. That's the money! Matt 60 hp is yours with headers.

Could you see gains with just swapping out the heads with the 6.1 and keeping the stock cam?

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dave W wrote the book on this. Unless something has changed in his R&D of Cam/heads in 5.7 apps.

This is from a hotrod article awhile ago with his flow charts.

"For the budget guy who just wants to port the cylinder heads and change the cam, the 5.7L heads provide a small cross section and good port velocity. If you are modifying a late-model Charger or truck, Weber recommends these two mods and a good exhaust system with headers to pick up between 100 and 110 hp at the wheels.

Guys who want to try the 5.7L Eagle head will need to add a 0.075-inch head gasket to lower the compression to a reasonable 11.0:1. You will also need D-port headers, a 6.1L or Eagle intake, and the raised valve covers. With the right cam, this mod should get you up to 420 hp at the wheel from a stock 5.7L–equipped vehicle.

A better bet is to use the 6.1L head on the 5.7. You’ll need to use the thicker head gasket, the D-port headers, and the 6.1L intake (or can you use the Eagle intake). The heads will flow like the Eagle ports and you get the improved valvetrain."

My only point is the Eagle head is perfect for vvt applications.
Damn good head especially intake cfm, but these heads are designed for vvt applications. In the LX world, the R&D has been done by at least 3 well known tuners. Massive gains seen. This is just starting in the truck world. Might be good to go old school with a decked out head work for more gains till the R&D has been a well traveled road.

There is a lot of science /engineering with vvt system. Things hidden in the pcm. Min and max values. Change a table, hit a min or max value hidden and that will be the table used. AFR issues is a perfect example.

Personally I hope Jay, Hemifever, and the rest figure it all out.

Last edited:

greychevy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Don't see how that relates to what I said...

Kind of what I was thinking.

Regardless, I'm very excited to see so many people about to try out cams in these trucks. I've tried a few things first but a cam with possible tough tuning is not one I want to be the first on....gonna be ridin yalls coattails on this one!

OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
With the IE ratio of even ported Eagle head why the hell are places like Modern Muscle putting a 4 degree split in there.

It's pretty comical, ain't it...

Who's truck are you basing this statement on? I'm not going to post my cam specs just yet, but I can tell you that it does not have a 4* split. Hate to see false rumors posted about another reputable Hemi performance shop on the forums again.

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could you see gains with just swapping out the heads with the 6.1 and keeping the stock cam?

If I remember correctly, the '12 SEMA Ram had just ported heads and exhaust mods, picked up somewhere in the nieghborhood of 30-40hp. Personally and in my opinion porting the Eagle heads is the way to go with retaining the stock cam. More air in, more air out = power. 6.1 heads are not designed for vvt engines hence the bigger exhaust flow. You would have to contact a builder, like Dave Weber@ modern muscle, to have that question answered. He's a no bullsh8t kinda guy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hemi450hp

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
The main 5.7 VVT cam on there website for Eagle heads. 4 degree split...

https://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/product/57-HEMI-VVT-NA-Performance-Cam

Even makes the statement, "Best choice for NA 5.7L VVT applications"

False rumor? Care to retract that statement?

That is just an off the shelf style cam...very generic for either cars/trucks. If anyone here was to call Modern Muscle for a real custom grind, the specs would be quite different, and you would want to purchase from the link below...

https://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/product/57L-64L-VVT-Custom-Designed-Cam

Hemi_Express2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The main 5.7 VVT cam on there website for Eagle heads. 4 degree split...

https://www.modernmuscleperformance.com/product/57-HEMI-VVT-NA-Performance-Cam

Even makes the statement, "Best choice for NA 5.7L VVT applications"

False rumor? Care to retract that statement?

Jay, not to cause problems really. I have a lot of respect for you, but it's not Dave's website. That's down the street from him. His shop kinda does it's own thing from that one. 2 in the same town, a small town at that.