Help with getting dealer to figure out what's going on.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StreetChariot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Screenshot_20231010_181836_Torque.jpg

My 2015 Ram 1500 3.6L v6 is having issues.

Dealer said they'd have to replicate the issue to even diagnose it.. The issue is, it only happens randomly, and usually on the freeway while I'm sandwiched between semis.

It happened last night, on the tail end of a 900 mile round trip. The truck goes into limp mode and can't accelerate (though will try to remain at speed with the throttle mashed.).

Pulling over, shutting the truck off, and putting it to run and clearing codes brings the truck back just fine, and in the case of last night, I drove the remaining 120 miles home just fine.

I've replaced the cam shaft position sensors, but nothing else to this point.

Here are the codes from last night's limp mode.

Any thoughts or pointers on the truck or what to tell the dealer to get them going on it would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone!

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Figure out how to drive it so it will throw those codes. Then, pick a weekday when you have nothing else to do and drive around town until it throws codes. Limp it into the dealer, don’t shut it off, and have the advisor come and verify everything. Leave it running until the tech can look at it.

Use the same strategy if using an independent shop.

OP
OP
S

StreetChariot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6
Yeah you’re interrupting the shop’s ability to proceed by clearing the codes. Have to figure out how to get it there in faulty condition, even if it means a tow.
Problem is it has been happening 100+ miles from home. I'm not paying to tow it 100 miles, but maybe I'll have to.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your Pentastar has a total of 4 cams on it, an intake and exhaust cam on each bank, did you replace the correct sensor, did you replace with OEM.

Wallacehugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with my 2012 R/T With only 22,000 miles. Took truck to dealer, found no problem. Took truck to other auto repair found no problem. I lived with these problems for two years. I posted on this forum with no results. I finally took truck to an independent dealer. After checking everything else, I ask him to check brake pads. My front pads were seizing from time to time, rotors were rusting and needed brake fluid change. I had the people do a complete brake repair. Hurray, my problem went away.

Tominator223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check all cps plugs for corrosion . If you don’t clear codes . Dealer should still be able to diagnose . It’s not a ecc3 from the 80’s. Some of the 1st computer’s in cars didn’t have memory/log. (The older tech’s will get the ecc3 comment ). You may have just got a bad new sensor. All the parts are mass produced.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 529897

My 2015 Ram 1500 3.6L v6 is having issues.

Dealer said they'd have to replicate the issue to even diagnose it.. The issue is, it only happens randomly, and usually on the freeway while I'm sandwiched between semis.

It happened last night, on the tail end of a 900 mile round trip. The truck goes into limp mode and can't accelerate (though will try to remain at speed with the throttle mashed.).

Pulling over, shutting the truck off, and putting it to run and clearing codes brings the truck back just fine, and in the case of last night, I drove the remaining 120 miles home just fine.

I've replaced the cam shaft position sensors, but nothing else to this point.

Here are the codes from last night's limp mode.

Any thoughts or pointers on the truck or what to tell the dealer to get them going on it would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone!
Frankly, I'm surprised you're asking this question. The two faults noted have set in history and there should be things a tech. can look at even if the problem is not present at the time. Just curious how much time the tech. charged against the repair order.

The P1DD2 and U1424 are related transmission Torque Control codes. These two are dependent on mutual CAN bus signals, which suggests an intermittent wiring issue or bad TCM or PCM. This would correlate to your symptoms of apparent loss of power.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100154 miles.