Thought I'd Share

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Good morning everyone.

I've only been the owner of my '12 RAM 1 ton dually diesel for just over a month. Didn't really want to purchase just yet, but when looking for a setup like this at a GOOD price, you need to act when they come available. So I bought one.

Next would be the toy hauler fifth wheel in the spring. So I've been looking around on RVT.com and RVTRADER.com etc for some in our price range.

At first I started out at under $20k. This was getting me '06 to '08s. The wife didn't like the options back then and I raised my looking price up to $25k and under. That got me a couple years newer, but not quite enough. So I took her to start looking at new one so she could pick and choose options we wanted in a used one. Very soon my "looking" price shot up based on her want list... :)

Cut to the chase, we bought a 2013 Keystone Raptor 395LEV two weeks ago. It's still up in the des Moines IA area. Going to pick it up the 6th of September and bring it back to O'Fallon MO.

414276626.jpg

414276624.jpg

414276622.jpg

It's 43' long triple axle and will gross out at 18K#. 1.5 baths, 12' garage, washer dryer prep, central vacuum, solid wood cabinets, solid surface countertops, one touch hydraulic 6-leg leveling, 5.5kw generator, rear party deck option with awning and the list goes on.

We got a GREAT deal and just had to buy it. Spring came early this year... :)

I'm retiring the end of this year and we plan on doing some traveling while we're still in good health.

So not wanting to buy a hitch right away, I was now forced into it. I went with the B&W gooseneck under bed flip ball hitch for the truck. It's rated for 30k# or whatever the truck can handle. With that I purchased the B&W Companion 20k hitch.

For anyone that's done this before, doing the install alone is quite the chore without a lift, only jack stands. So last Saturday I did the gooseneck install and took my time. Got my cherry picker involved to pull the center section up under the bed, but that involved about 10 trips up and back under the truck while each time tweaking the hitch center section to move around things like the diff, the exhaust and other misc items.

So this is my gooseneck install.

414284738.jpg

Then Sunday I did the companion hitch. Man, those things are not light at all. I'm going to be 70 in October and that's a big chunk to be manhandling around alone, but I'm a big boy and got it done.

414284740.jpg

414284739.jpg

With the companion, it allows me to have a smooth box floor when not installed. The gooseneck ball comes out and the companion hitch has a billet beam that goes into the ball slot of the gooseneck hitch and locks and torques into place. This pre-loads the companion hitch downward into the gooseneck mount so there's no rattle and it's secure.

414284741.jpg

The only things that stick up are the spring loaded safety chain hooks that are part of the gooseneck hitch. You can also see from the box pictures, that the box has been beat up quite well. The outside of the truck is excellent and having the box a bit beat up allows me to NOT hesitate to use it and abuse it. If this were a pristine spray in liner, I would not want to scratch it, so the damage has been done and now I can really use it.

So this is my first entry into the RV world since the 80's with motor homes and long horse trailers.

I have the 8' box and standard crewcab cabin. Does anyone know if I can just flip down the tailgate during 5th wheel hook up and then raise it back up when hooked up? Don't want to remove the tailgate if not necessary.

Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks and I hope everyone has a great and safe holiday weekend!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Nice set up, Dan. Have a great time with the rig!

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats, Dan, on the dually and toy hauler. I have the same hitch for my TH. I think you will be satisfied with it. Mine has made two trips from TN to CO and back with no problems through the KS winds. Yes on your tailgate question. Drop it to hook up and close it once you're locked in.

The hitch is two pieces to make it easier to install and remove, but still over 100 lbs. per piece. I have the idea of using my dad's engine hoist to take it out in one piece. My TH's previous owner used a winch he had secured to a truss in his garage to lift his Reese slider hitch out.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Some people will use the 5th wheel pin on the front of the trailer to pick up the 5th wheel hitch. If you hang it from the trailer, make sure to lock it in place. You don't want anyone messing with it and it accidentally falling on them.
5th wheel under tlr.jpg

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Some people will use the 5th wheel pin on the front of the trailer to pick up the 5th wheel hitch. If you hang it from the trailer, make sure to lock it in place. You don't want anyone messing with it and it accidentally falling on them.
View attachment 178205

That's a GREAT idea ya got there...

So I guess I could just use the front hydraulic legs to lift it up out of the bed when I park for an extended period. I could even store it that way in the RV storage lot. Lock it up good and put a lockable pin through the gooseneck piece that goes in the bed too. I guess if someone wanted it bad enough they could just unbolt everything.

Just thought the top part does come off with pins and two levers, so maybe some locking device on that as well.

Thanks for the picture!

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Dan, very nice rig! I got the slider version of the hitch you bought. It is even heavier! My wife & I were both killing our backs trying to position it into place. I will be getting a Come Along pully system to put it away this winter.

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Well I'm going to be 70 in another month and then retire at the end of the year. Hopefully do a lot of traveling the first couple years.

My wife says I'm still strong as an ox, but I think the fat I carry has influenced her opinion of my strength. :)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Congrats! Great looking trailer and hitch install. Lord willing when I'm your age I'll also be retired and still physically able to manage a camper and go camping. It's the best

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Congrats! Great looking trailer and hitch install. Lord willing when I'm your age I'll also be retired and still physically able to manage a camper and go camping. It's the best

I've got a couple Harleys and still flip my leg over the from time to time... :)

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
On your hauler, be sure to go over all of the caulking on the roof and everywhere else. Look for de-lamination on the ramp door too. Water intrusion is a killer on these RV's.

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I'll be picking it up this Friday. There are the little thin insert strips that go over the screw heads on the aluminum channels and they're putting all new inserts in, so that will help some too.

So far from what I've seen, the garage and ramp are still in excellent shape. The PO had a Harley trike and didn't use it very much. With the party deck options they're supposed to use a slightly beefier ramp. The ramp is rated for 3k#.

It's all new to us. I haven't been into a RV since my previous life back in the 80's. So I'll have some adjusting to do mentally as well as getting refreshed on all the new technology on the rigs today. Been watching tons of YouTube videos. Some good and some just stupid. Have to learn what's fact and what's fiction.

Thanks again for the suggestion on the caulking. It has a walkable roof so I should be able to take a look see before I leave the dealership Friday.

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Well we finally picked up the new toy hauler, at least new to us.

They went through a 5 hour training last Friday for us and we got a LOT out of it. My wife's brain was full in about half an hour... :) So after that she was just along for the ride, so to speak... :D

Here it is as we pulled into my son's barn driveway in Runnels IA, suburb of Des Moines. It's a little deceiving, but the truck is really level and the Raptor is also very level. We stopped at a Walmart on the way home and I parked out in east BF. While walking back to the rig it was sitting perfectly level as a unit. I have probably more than 8" of box rail clearance!

414293305.jpg

Same day but before slides out and leveled up.

414293304.jpg

At home in our sub-division. So far since Saturday afternoon, I've had no complaints about it sitting there. We have rules that say boat trailers / campers etc can only be on our property for 2 to 3 days max. In this case it will be until someone complains, or next Sunday whichever comes first. :)

Also on the way home from Des Moines to the greater St Louis MO area, I averaged 10 mpg. I do not have tow mode, but did use the shift manual mode a few times on some of the longer hills.

On the way from the dealership to my son's place, about 30 miles and some city stop and go, my trans got up to around 210 degrees. On the way home on fairly good roads it never got over 170 degrees and mainly around 163. It towed good, but I get a little bucking on some of the roads. I'm thinking that a Mor-Ryde (spelling) pin box might smooth things out a bit, I'll have to do some research. Any suggestions to this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

414293308.jpg

At 43' long and leaving walking room around the rear up next to the house, I stick out just a bit into the cul de sac. Also I cannot say enough about the Lippert Level UP system. This is GREAT! Even at this much of an angle, it leveled up. I did know enough to place some wood under the front to "help" out on the legs so they would have to extend out all the way.

414293307.jpg

I think this is what people call a driveway full of STUFF!

414293306.jpg

This is a close up of the house garage. It shows my "other" new play toy, an '88 Cadillac Allante. It's my ex-wife's and she gave it to me to get it out of her yard after her late husband passed away a couple months ago. I kidded her that I wasn't sure if she was trying to get even with me for divorcing her or actually trying to be nice. Knowing what I do NOW about Allantes, I believe that she's getting even with me. She bought it back in '93 and since '07 its only move 110 miles. It came with a new rag top installed and up. The aluminum hard top that came from the factory as part of the total Allante package, has a roller cart and cover, but I felt the safest place was on the car. Working on new water pump and all new idler pulleys along with new alternator bearings. New belt too.

414293309.jpg

414253514.jpg

414281746.jpg

And yes, if it looks like there are LOTS of dash buttons, there are; 57 of them to be exact.

414253513.jpg

So that's the show for today.

Any questions or suggestions, please let me know.

Have a GREAT DAY!

geotex1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Welcome here and to back to the camping community!

So, I've been towing a long while both professionally and recreationally so I have strong opinions built on my experience. So, take no offense of anything I share because 1) I've got lots of gray hair, 2) I'm a Professional Engineer, 3) I'm totally a hands-on guy; and 4) see Nos. 1 and 2! Lol.

So I currently run a 2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie crew cab, long bed, 4x4 with the Cummins/AISIN. Our 5er is not as long as yours, but she's a heavy girl because she's an all-season luxury model. I was towing her with my trusty Companion as well, except mine is a puck mount because I've got the factory prep last two big haulers because I also have two gooseneck trailers. So, the removal for swapping is easier. Nonetheless, it's a heavy hitch and I fully recommend it to anyone with a 5er, but my age matches the grey hair! I was young and dumb too, worked harder and not smarter, and have a bad lower back as a result.

Cutting to it, I got really curious about the Anderson setup after seeing it in a campground and talking with the owner. The engineer in me liked the efficiency of the design too. I just didn't want to make an investment and be disappointed. I had been discussing this on another forum, and a member that tagged into the discussion lives 30 minutes from me. He had a double hip replacement and his camping was done for the season. We got to talking and met up, found we had a lot of common interests and in the end he offered a loan of his Anderson for the rest of the season!

Let me tell you what, we are 3 trips in with it, just shy of 3200 miles and heading out this weekend again, and I am absolutely sold! I will be buying my own this winter and shelving the Companion. The Anderson is so easy to R&R my 116# wife can do it!

You've described porpoising, which is very common with long trailers, especially toy haulers with that long rear cantilever past the axles. A pin box upgrade with dampening definitely will help, but you also need to consciously load the trailer to balance and counteract the tendency to seesaw.

With the Anderson I find much improved ride quality given the greater range of movement, but porpoising would still occur but may have a little less amplitude. Should you move to an Anderson, it is more challenging to land than catching a traditional 5er when hitching. You might need to put some alignment lines on your bed and pin box to help, or install a cargo camera.

Best to you and your retirement!

OP
OP
D

Dan Lockwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
geotex1, thanks for the advice and sharing of your experience.

As of now, I can still man handle the hitch when knocked down into two parts. I've seen the Anderson in the dealership. In all honesty, the owner's son-in-law persuaded me to the B&W hitch. It was me that chose the gooseneck under bed so my truck bed would be virtually flat for carrying lumber etc. In his opinion the only advantage was the lighter weight compared to the B&W. In his personal truck he uses the B&W hitch.

Porpoising might be the incorrect term to use. It's kind of like a "chucking", but not a hitch type chucking. It's like someone is hitting the trailer brakes rapid fire style. And then it does start to bounce the truck a bit. I was told that one of the air or urethane cushioned pin box mounts would reduce this quite a bit. It's not serious enough for me to be worried, but if driving a couple thousand miles in a week, it could get old very quickly.

I too am an engineer and have always been a gearhead. Anything with a motor or wheels has intrigued me a LOT. I do everything myself, or as much as I care to do, time permitting. I'm not much into woodwork, but if I can drill it, weld it, bend it, bolt it, I can usually make it from scratch. I still have a small Atlas lathe up in my house garage attic that I've not re-assembled since we move here from MI 17 years ago... :( I have a MillerMatic 225 MIG, Lincoln Square Wave 185 TIG, Daytona MIG Plasma cutter, torches, 4' finger break, sand blast cabinet and large drill press for the odd drilling that it helps out with. All sorts of car test equipment and tools. I was a service manager at a Chevy Pontiac dealership back in the '70s and '80s for around 10 years. You could say that I've been around the block a few times. BUT RV's might just as well be all new to me as my old experience is so old that it's like being an expert on 1950's cars, not much use today... :)

I'm going to be 70 at the end of October and retiring the end of this year. I have sooo many projects lined up working may end up being a vacation of sorts. I just hope I have enough money to do them all.

Again, thanks for the sharing of ideas and experiences.

Have a great afternoon!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat