Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Has to do with power delivery, in my opinion at least. I've found the 12v to drive more like tractors/semis than pickups. I think manuals are overrated as well, sure they're strong but dailying a manual pickup is more of a pain in the ass than anything, doesn't get as good of mileage, auto is quite a bit faster and more consistent and can be built up to hold as much or more power. That's just my personal opinion

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Nicer to drive meaning?.....the feel under your pants , road handling etc; etc; explain please?.........Also, why do you think the manual is overrated?
Would an auto-trans be just as equal?..............heard good thing about the 48 RE trans, but were they optional?....how capable is the 47?....sorry
for all the questions, but I'll never know if I don't ask....thnx, Scippy

dapepper9 hit the nail on the head. It is to do with power delivery. The 24v head also makes the truck more responsive due to the smaller multiple valves. 3rd and 5th gear in the nv4500 are the weak points. Any truck over 500whp will break either one on command. Not that, that is the path you are heading. 5th nut walks pretty regularly on them. There is no permanent fix other than removing the transmission. No 48re in a 2nd gen. That was common rail only. Almost all parts in the 47re can be upgraded to a 48 but is costly. A good valve body and torque converter make or break a 47re. Mostly is the vb due to shifting strategy ect. The brakes on the pre00 trucks are anemic at best. There really is no comparison. Not sure how much more I can stress that lol.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
dapepper9 & jbayes thanks for that!....I'm now set on looking for a autotrans truck w/24v...makes sense, a daily driver & shifting in traffic = PIA!
just inquired about 2001 ram 3500 dually auto, (plus is 107k mi. minus is no 4wd)......rust free body, interior good (no cracks to dash)...it's the
kind of truck I've been looking for in white color & tan interior........there asking $13,995......I'm offering $11,500 or less.....love the low milage
and the carfax is good................when I go check it, what's the first things that would be obvious to look for since I'm no mechanic?

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Mileage or not that is still 2-4k over what it is worth. The 2wd trucks are not desirable, let alone a dually. Front end parts and leaks. The tires should tell the story. Chopped, feathered etc. If it does not have an aftermaket lift pump knock another 1k off the price. If there is any undercoating on it...walk away. Check the carrier bearing. For some reason I have been seeing a bunch of them as of late on other forums and bookface.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Jlbayes, ..Thank you for your honest opinion!.....Also, I will check the carrier bearing. Presently, I'm closing in on a deal that would take me (of all places)
to Ohio. I know that might seem odd, but if pictures don't lie and all the maintenance reports (are as reported) then I will be leaving on a bus midnight
Tues. heading for Akron, Ohio. I called the mechanic off the Car fax report who happened to maintained the truck for the last ten years and he assured me
that the truck had no hidden problems and was serviced regularly as the car fax indicated.....so we shall see!

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
There are some people in the world that actually take care of these trucks. Hope it is what you want!

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
There are some people in the world that actually take care of these trucks. Hope it is what you want!

It's funny, you go see a truck that's advertised to be in great shape "well taken care of" and it's completely different. Thanks for the best wishes on this one!

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
It's funny, you go see a truck that's advertised to be in great shape "well taken care of" and it's completely different. Thanks for the best wishes on this one!

No problem. I know what it is like trying to find one of these trucks.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Well, today I brought home my new (to me) Truck.........I let greyhound do the driving there and then jumped in the seat for the return trip home of 466 miles!

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Nice! Sounds like it was what they said it was. Any questions on tuning, trans or other diesel related crap let me know. I have had one from mild to wild.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Nice! Sounds like it was what they said it was. Any questions on tuning, trans or other diesel related crap let me know. I have had one from mild to wild.

no doubt, Certain to have questions!..... few things of irritation (cracks dash & bezel, emergency brake cable hanging) otherwise the drive home uneventful much louder than my 5.9l gas lol

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
(Oil Change) What type & weight? synthetic? ...how many qts.? (in Jersey winter climate) .....should I add any Lucas products? best oil filter?

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Some pictures.......she has 107K lightly used miles..not bad for a soon to be 18 yr. old truck. Pluses: No rust, clean interior, good rubber all around. no fifth wheel or goose neck
(didn't want any holes in the bed) all mechanics check out well......... Minus's: No 4wd, (but has 4:10 slip dif rear), no power seats or power mirrors....need to change my avatar!

IMG_9719.JPG

IMG_9716.JPG

IMG_9721.JPG

IMG_9722.JPG

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
(Oil Change) What type & weight? synthetic? ...how many qts.? (in Jersey winter climate) .....should I add any Lucas products? best oil filter?

I use whatever is on sale typically. Rotella, delvac, traveller. You will not notice anything special with the oils. Synthetics are a waste on these, do not fall for it. Blackstone Labs can/will do oil analysis. 15w-40 for weight. All 2nd gen cummins are 11 quarts. I usually just dump the 12 in as I buy 3 1 gallon jugs. Mopar, Baldwin or luberfiner for a filter. Do not need to add anything from Lucas for oil stabilizers. A zinc additive is not a bad idea due to the low zinc oils.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Thanks JB.................Would you recommend any of the following, Fass lift pumps, cold air induction, Super chips?...........it already has the 4" turbo back pipes
The transmission was serviced @ 82,000 don't know if was flushed, but they did add a new tranny filter.......I'll be towing 14k of boat & trailer come this summer
about 4 or 5 times at most & traveling about 500 miles each total trip..........someone said getting a super chip would help greatly.....just would like know what
should be addressed first and what things can wait.........current milage is 108,000 after the trip home from Ohio.

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
I am not a fan of any of the electric lift pumps offered for these trucks. They are severely overrated. I prefer mechanical. Glacier diesel sells one. CAI - buy whatever you want based off of looks. Not a single one performs as advertised. No on the superchips. Flash tuners are a no-no on the Cummins ecm. They are not very robust when flashing repeatedly. An Edge ez is a better choice. If more power is wanted you will need a built transmission.

A bit of education on the vp44 injected trucks. Any flash tuner or non-wire tap box is limited to 60hp. Period. Nothing else you can do with the fueling message to increase power. I can offer other options if you want more power but it will come with higher costs and more involved for the end user (you).

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I use whatever is on sale typically. Rotella, delvac, traveller. You will not notice anything special with the oils. Synthetics are a waste on these, do not fall for it. Blackstone Labs can/will do oil analysis. 15w-40 for weight. All 2nd gen cummins are 11 quarts. I usually just dump the 12 in as I buy 3 1 gallon jugs. Mopar, Baldwin or luberfiner for a filter. Do not need to add anything from Lucas for oil stabilizers. A zinc additive is not a bad idea due to the low zinc oils.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks synthetic oil is a waste of money.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
I am not a fan of any of the electric lift pumps offered for these trucks. They are severely overrated. I prefer mechanical. Glacier diesel sells one. CAI - buy whatever you want based off of looks. Not a single one performs as advertised. No on the superchips. Flash tuners are a no-no on the Cummins ecm. They are not very robust when flashing repeatedly. An Edge ez is a better choice. If more power is wanted you will need a built transmission.

A bit of education on the vp44 injected trucks. Any flash tuner or non-wire tap box is limited to 60hp. Period. Nothing else you can do with the fueling message to increase power. I can offer other options if you want more power but it will come with higher costs and more involved for the end user (you).

So basically, your saying if increased power is wanted a built transmission should also be included...makes sense!.....All these "Fass" , "air Dog" electric lift pumps are in the $600 - $700
and that's without optional sump which would seem to work better than a straw tube.....going to check out Glacier mechanical pump......what should be operating fuel pressure?
What about cold air induction?......is that over hyped?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks synthetic oil is a waste of money.
Synthetic oil is not a waste of money. It's only a waste in diesels because they are so dirty anyway combined with the massive amount of oil. Spending the better part of a Benjamin on oil won't do you any better. The biggest issue with synthetic oil in diesels (older ones like this, newer diesels in car that spec syn or syn blend should only have those or better put in) is the blow by, being high heat compression engines, they have massive blow by when cold until the piston and cylinder warm up to the right shape. All this combustion gas and fuel will foul conventional oil just as much as syn, given that diesel is pretty waxy it doesn't cause as much breakdown of the oil as gasoline will.

However, in gas engine, syn or syn blend oils are worth every penny if you get them at a place that doesn't kill you on price in a quality oil. Valvoline from walmart or meijer is a great deal even in full syn. Using walmart valvoline I can change my oil for the price of conventional at the AZ. Its not a matter for debate, syn oil is better than conventional, what is up for debate is the necessity of it. Largely, we don't debate that, the manufacturer and EPA do. However, every oil manufacturer and most mechanics agree, syn oil provides better protection to the engine.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Really depends on how the vehicle is driven and conditions it sees. Synthetics can have a noticeable benefit