Thoughts on customizations. Yay or nay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orlando03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Hey guys I'm a new member looking to see if anyone thinks I should upgrade my truck (suspension, wheels, headlights, etc) or if I should wait and get a better model and upgrade it. Currently have a 03 Ram 1500 slt quad cab. Thanks!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
It all depends upon if you plan on keeping that truck for a while. If you are first thing to do is replace anything broken or wore out. Then start the mods. Always start with a vehicle in good repair.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
if you are already thinking of a new truck i would wait. Mods are expensive and unless you can take them off to put on the new truck you really don't get that money back

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys I'm a new member looking to see if anyone thinks I should upgrade my truck (suspension, wheels, headlights, etc) or if I should wait and get a better model and upgrade it. Currently have a 03 Ram 1500 slt quad cab. Thanks!
:wave: Welcome.
As stated above; how long ya gonna keep the truck and what shape is it in?
you've got no annoy worries about warranty like the Gen IVs, but how much strain is your venerable ride up to?

For example, what kind of shape are your ball joints in? That's a big deal for a lift or level. How much rust? How many miles? Is your oil pump still good? 4.7 has a reasonable supply of add-ons out there and head and tail light options are abundant.

so how long are you going to keep it and how much are you going to leave behind when you unload it?

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
If you think you might want to do any performance mods in the future then I would lean towards selling the truck now before putting any money into it and getting something with the 5.7L. There are a lot more performance options out there for the Hemi. Welcome!

OP
OP
O

Orlando03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
From the start I noticed that with the 4.7 I wouldn't be able to have as much fun so I think I'll end up selling it and getting an 06 4x4 with the hemi. The current one is in great condition and only has 67k miles.
Completely stock

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Or just get a crate Hemi for your current truck. That would be cheaper and if I am not mistaken that year hemi just drops right into the 4.7l spot with very few problems. A crate hemi can be had for around $3500 or less at most parts stores.

OP
OP
O

Orlando03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Or just get a crate Hemi for your current truck. That would be cheaper and if I am not mistaken that year hemi just drops right into the 4.7l spot with very few problems. A crate hemi can be had for around $3500 or less at most parts stores.
That's interesting I might have to look into that.

OP
OP
O

Orlando03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Very clean for an 03! I'd sell it and use the funds for a newer Hemi.
Yeah It seems like a good idea so I can access the mods galore that the hemi has to offer.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
with the low miles and shape of your current truck I would stay with what you have, I assume it is paid for?

DDean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you plan on racing then yea get a Hemi if not then nothin wrong with the 4.7. I've got one and while yea it's not a hemi I still love it have a lot of fun with it and at 71k hasn't given me any major problems yet. I'ma keep mine till its time for it to go then I'll drop a Hemi in. Lots of people like to hate on it but truth is depending on what you need it for it'll do just fine.

HemiSLT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006, 2017
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Ecodiesel
Nice truck! I would love to have a newer Ram but there is something about not having a payment that I love even more! That also allows more mod money from time to time. Just keep in mind that it is harder to do the mods you want and also make payments. In the end....do what YOU want to do. Good luck!

OP
OP
O

Orlando03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Thanks guys you've all been super helpful

OP
OP
O

Orlando03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Yeah its paid for just being rebought from father to son, soon going to have enough to call it mine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990