Thoughts on Method NVs and Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm looking to replace my stock wheels and tires with a set of Method NV HDs (18x9 +18) in the bronze color and pairing them with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50. I'm looking for experience (positive and negative) with these wheels and tires (either separately or in this combo).

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know most will probably disagree, but I do NOT recommend the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have them and I loved them for about the first 10,000 miles. That's about the time I noticed the wet weather traction turning to crap. I have around 16,000 or so on them now and they are just horrible if the roads are even just a little bit wet. I have to have it in 4 wheel auto or I'm just spinning... I've had the ass end slide out on me turning onto a side street (less than 5mph). I run 35-36 psi... Nothing on the truck has changed since the tires were new, except miles... anyway that's my 2 cents.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I know most will probably disagree, but I do NOT recommend the Nitto Ridge Grappler. I have them and I loved them for about the first 10,000 miles. That's about the time I noticed the wet weather traction turning to crap. I have around 16,000 or so on them now and they are just horrible if the roads are even just a little bit wet. I have to have it in 4 wheel auto or I'm just spinning... I've had the ass end slide out on me turning onto a side street (less than 5mph). I run 35-36 psi... Nothing on the truck has changed since the tires were new, except miles... anyway that's my 2 cents.

That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. When you replace them, what will you be looking at? I've had Toyo RTs in the past, but didn't have them long enough to know how they wear or how traction changes when that happens.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for. When you replace them, what will you be looking at? I've had Toyo RTs in the past, but didn't have them long enough to know how they wear or how traction changes when that happens.

I'm currently trying to research what I want to try next. I thought I was pretty through with my research when I got the Ridge Grapplers.... so trying to be more through this time and not rush to a decision lol. I've been looking at reviews everywhere I can find them... tire buyer, tire rack, midas, pep boys, etc... I've even stopped to talk to people with trucks to see how they like their tires lol. Right now my top 3 are the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, BFGoodrich T/A KO2, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 in that order. I have personally stopped 4 people with the KO2's and they all loved them. Haven't seen anyone with the Falken or Cooper's yet lol. From what I'm seeing and reading on the reviews I'd say the Falken might slightly top the KO2 then the Cooper. The Toyo and Nitto seem to fall below those 3 and seem to be more of a "name brand" thing. I will say the Ridge Grappler looks bad ass, but in my book not a good choice. Hope this helps and didn't make it more confusing. Good luck man!

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm currently trying to research what I want to try next. I thought I was pretty through with my research when I got the Ridge Grapplers.... so trying to be more through this time and not rush to a decision lol. I've been looking at reviews everywhere I can find them... tire buyer, tire rack, midas, pep boys, etc... I've even stopped to talk to people with trucks to see how they like their tires lol. Right now my top 3 are the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W, BFGoodrich T/A KO2, and Cooper Discoverer A/T3 in that order. I have personally stopped 4 people with the KO2's and they all loved them. Haven't seen anyone with the Falken or Cooper's yet lol. From what I'm seeing and reading on the reviews I'd say the Falken might slightly top the KO2 then the Cooper. The Toyo and Nitto seem to fall below those 3 and seem to be more of a "name brand" thing. I will say the Ridge Grappler looks bad ass, but in my book not a good choice. Hope this helps and didn't make it more confusing. Good luck man!
I had the BFG K02s in 315 70r 17. Great tire and in the snow they were incredible. They wore fast 25k miles and they were expensive.
I run the cooper at3 xlts now and love them just as much. Wet traction is very good and I run a higher psi 50-60 psi depending on what I’m doing.

I would stick with the bfg but I drive about 20-22k miles a year and it was to expensive to replace tires every year. Very happy with my switch to Cooper and will most Likely stick with them for a bit.

As for the wheels! I love the method wheel. Bronze is a great color on any color truck. You won’t be disappointed I think. When I have the money I will have these same wheels. Make sure to post a bunch of pics when you get these installed.
I’ll be watching this thread

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

That has been my experience. I haven't put them on my truck, but I've had them on my Trailblazer and my Jeep JLUR and same deal. If you're driving on the highway and it starts to rain you will fear for your life. I've run a lot of MT's and sure, they're not great. But these tires are prone to hydroplane.

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'm looking to replace my stock wheels and tires with a set of Method NV HDs (18x9 +18) in the bronze color and pairing them with Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.50. I'm looking for experience (positive and negative) with these wheels and tires (either separately or in this combo).

You have a Power Wagon, why an 18-inch wheel?? Just to get the NV with the +18mm offset?

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the BFG K02s in 315 70r 17. Great tire and in the snow they were incredible. They wore fast 25k miles and they were expensive.
I run the cooper at3 xlts now and love them just as much. Wet traction is very good and I run a higher psi 50-60 psi depending on what I’m doing.

I would stick with the bfg but I drive about 20-22k miles a year and it was to expensive to replace tires every year. Very happy with my switch to Cooper and will most Likely stick with them for a bit.

As for the wheels! I love the method wheel. Bronze is a great color on any color truck. You won’t be disappointed I think. When I have the money I will have these same wheels. Make sure to post a bunch of pics when you get these installed.
I’ll be watching this thread

Interesting... from what I've been seeing the KO'2 don't last long on the heavier trucks but with the 1500's you can expect around 60,000. I find it interesting that you switched to the Cooper's because the one knock I've seen on them is that they wear pretty fast. How many miles you have on yours? I do put quite a few miles on a year and want to find something that will last a little bit.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That has been my experience. I haven't put them on my truck, but I've had them on my Trailblazer and my Jeep JLUR and same deal. If you're driving on the highway and it starts to rain you will fear for your life. I've run a lot of MT's and sure, they're not great. But these tires are prone to hydroplane.

I certainly drive overly cautious when it rains for sure... scary ****!

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Currently I am running the Cooper S/T Maxx 34" Load Range E on the stock PW wheels. My dream next setup was their 305 70R18 on the Method wheels, but the cost of the new wheels is the killing factor. Their dimensions are a true 35" by 12.5". Good hybrid tread design which can be studded. Great in rain, snow/ice, mud, rocks, and gravel. 3 ply and Load Range E. Expect 40,000 mile lifespan. I am running 5 tires with rotation and at 32,000 miles they have more than enough tread depth above the minimum 6/32" Colorado I-70 winter road restrictions. Expecting at least 50,000 miles out of mine.

I might run the General Grabber X3 35 12.50R17 on my next set due to our mud. Our high mountain passes with sheer cliffs and no guardrails are far too real. The S/T Maxx I depend on for no slippage. Gotta gamble sometimes with a different set of tires. Also run the Grabber A/Tx, Duratrac, and the STT Pro on family member's vehicles. The A/Tx is excellent on wet and snow/ice surfaces, but the STT Pro is NOT. The Duratrac I won't run on the PW. It gets a 3 ply tire carcass, otherwise the Duratrac has been great on my 1/2 ton pickup.

Last edited:

BrewCrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7L
I really like my General Grabber 35x12.5's they make the ATX and the MT. I have the ATX and could not be happier.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You have a Power Wagon, why an 18-inch wheel?? Just to get the NV with the +18mm offset?

I can't tell if you're asking why an 18" in instead of a 17" or instead of a 20". I don't want to go bigger than 35s, and I personally don't like the looks of 20s on 35s (not enough tire sidewall). For 17s, I like the look of the bronze better than the gold in the Method 315s, and they only make the bronze NV in a 17 in a 0 offset. I don't want to risk rubbing, which is why I'm looking for a positive offset. My other wheel choice was the AEV Salta, but I think the NV is going to look a little better just because it's going to stand out more (I see a lot of PWs posted with the Saltas).

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Did you see my recent thread? I just got the NVs 18x9 +18 with Milestar patigonias 35 x12.50. Everything is perfect other than my aftermarket tpms not working. After getting the air pressure up to 65 psi they are pretty quiet. They are quite a bit lighter than ridge grapplers, have a higher load rating, and are waaay cheaper.

Alloway

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I would love to see someone be the test dummy with the 37/11.50 r 18 ridge grapplers on a +18-25 wheel!!!

BoldAdventure

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I can't tell if you're asking why an 18" in instead of a 17" or instead of a 20". I don't want to go bigger than 35s, and I personally don't like the looks of 20s on 35s (not enough tire sidewall). For 17s, I like the look of the bronze better than the gold in the Method 315s, and they only make the bronze NV in a 17 in a 0 offset. I don't want to risk rubbing, which is why I'm looking for a positive offset. My other wheel choice was the AEV Salta, but I think the NV is going to look a little better just because it's going to stand out more (I see a lot of PWs posted with the Saltas).

I would never in a thousand years recommend a 20-inch wheel. Also, you'll want 37's some day. :p

Interesting... from what I've been seeing the KO'2 don't last long on the heavier trucks but with the 1500's you can expect around 60,000. I find it interesting that you switched to the Cooper's because the one knock I've seen on them is that they wear pretty fast. How many miles you have on yours? I do put quite a few miles on a year and want to find something that will last a little bit.

That's pretty common, they don't do well. Unpopular opinion that is going to rub some wrong. People getting 60k out of their tires run them bald.

I really like my General Grabber 35x12.5's they make the ATX and the MT. I have the ATX and could not be happier.

General Grabber ATX has been a fantastic winter tire. I'm really happy with them myself. I ran the X3's this year in Moab. They were ok in Moab. Great in mud, good traction in the sand. Good on slick rock.

67162905_909693556089736_5800454453958017024_o.jpg

68957136_926340864425005_8226358304654229504_o.jpg

But I have observed, both the ATX & the X3 seem to like more air pressure for highway than my Toyo MT's did. They get soft and the sidewall will bulge fast. 18psi on the Toyo's was nothing. These tires, that looked scary.

I liked the looks of the Grabber X3 with red letters, but I won't be running them again. I easily blew a sidewall out on the Morrison Jeep trail where I shouldn't have IMO. I know the Toyo's would have been fine because I've run the Toyos in that crap before.

That being said, if you travel a lot on road, and want a quiet tire that handles the rain, snow, sleet, and ice really well, (and is an actual 3 peak rated snow tire) the General ATX is a solid affordable choice.

Two winters, still going strong. I do run winter/summer tires.

But I think I'll be keeping the General ATX's for some time as my road-trip/towing tire.

83247036_1056209661438124_4132821508798021632_o.jpg

I just recently drove from Boise to Portland in all kinds of crazy winter weather, and these tires were just fantastic and confidence-inspiring.

82271126_1056209581438132_4572121106114150400_o.jpg

They are good enough for dirt roads, but I wouldn't expect great performance in mud or for them to be very sticky on the rocks. They are an AT after all.

82427497_1059406281118462_4198018970617380864_o.jpg

If you want an indestructible MT and aren't too concerned about wear and cost, buy a Toyo MT

61823672_875319736193785_1938509054980653056_o.jpg

I've run the sheeee-it out of those. My only complaint about the Toyo MT is that I just didn't get any real longevity out of them.

Right now I'm testing out BFG KM3's but I don't have enough miles or off-road time to give anyone an opinion about them, other than they're nice around town, lolol

85145132_1077695989289491_1118724691528253440_o.jpg

I ugh, run a lot of tires. There are Nitto Trail Grapplers, Toyo's, KO2's and Falken's in my garage.

I want the best across the board.

Sidebar

A while back, I ran the Toyo Open Country AT/II's in 35x12.50R17
61735825_875332202859205_4040165367572594688_o.jpg

They're alright. I never really was that impressed with them. I do think the Generals are better overall. As the Generals have better sipping and can accept studs.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, I put the coopers on sept 25th 2019. I have about 10k miles on them so far. Rotated them at 5k miles so I’m eligible for the 60k mile warranty.

That’s really why I went with them. 60k mike warranty and they are load Es with a snow rating. It was a must for me. I honestly couldn’t be happier. I would recommend them to anyone.

they are wearing very evenly (something I couldn’t get the ko2s to do). I expect them to last 45-55k miles at this rate

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Did you see my recent thread? I just got the NVs 18x9 +18 with Milestar patigonias 35 x12.50. Everything is perfect other than my aftermarket tpms not working. After getting the air pressure up to 65 psi they are pretty quiet. They are quite a bit lighter than ridge grapplers, have a higher load rating, and are waaay cheaper.

Yep! It was your thread that pushed me over the edge towards the NVs over the Saltas!

ZLAYER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4
Yep! It was your thread that pushed me over the edge towards the NVs over the Saltas!
Cool! I love the setup for sure. I got +18 just in case I ever wanted to go with 37s, but after seeing in person how good the 35s look, I don’t think I’ll ever do 37s due to daily driving. Having said that I might have went -18 if I had to do it over again for a slightly more aggressive stance.

OP
OP
ttusomeone

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Cool! I love the setup for sure. I got +18 just in case I ever wanted to go with 37s, but after seeing in person how good the 35s look, I don’t think I’ll ever do 37s due to daily driving. Having said that I might have went -18 if I had to do it over again for a slightly more aggressive stance.

I don't like the looks of 37s, so I won't ever go that big either. That being said, do you think 35s would clear with a 0 offset?