Throttle body size clarification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It was a joke.
I don't think larger/ported TB's are worth much if anything by themselves.
I honestly doubt the OP needs one and seriously doubt he'd notice the difference between a stock and ported one.

You got that right ,lol. If i was doing it over again,i wouldn't spend the money on a bigger true bore throttle body.My truck is full bolt on with a cam that shifts at 6500+ rpm and i spray nitrous before the throttle body, my truck didn't gain anything at the track with the true bore 84mm throttle body,the only thing i gained was a lighter wallet,lol.The stock throttle body isn't really a restriction on a naturally aspirated truck.I'd put that money towards having the intake ported,it'd generate a bigger gain then the ported throttle body on a naturally aspirated truck,neither are going to gain a whole lot,but the intake is where i'd spend the money first.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
You got that right ,lol. If i was doing it over again,i wouldn't spend the money on a bigger true bore throttle body.My truck is full bolt on with a cam that shifts at 6500+ rpm and i spray nitrous before the throttle body, my truck didn't gain anything at the track with the true bore 84mm throttle body,the only thing i gained was a lighter wallet,lol.The stock throttle body isn't really a restriction on a naturally aspirated truck.I'd put that money towards having the intake ported,it'd generate a bigger gain then the ported throttle body on a naturally aspirated truck,neither are going to gain a whole lot,but the intake is where i'd spend the money first.
Rick, you plan on going with the ported 6.4 intake in the future?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Rick, you plan on going with the ported 6.4 intake in the future?

Only if i stumble into a real cheap one,lol.Up here they're gold plated and hard to justify the cost of one.By the time i get one of MMX's ported intakes into Canada,it's just about double the US cost,and my ass puckers at spending that much on an intake,lol

BrBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Considering this I may just keep the standard bore Fastman, finish the cam and then save for the 6.4 ported intake.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
So what kind of engine response would be predicted with a 90mm or 92mm TB vs an 84mm? More top end maybe? How bout throttle response if you were to go wot from a slow roll, would an 84 hit harder or would the larger bore hit harder?

When I first installed the TB I was concerned it wouldn't work. For all I knew this was going to be a disaster. I did my research, and crunched numbers in dollars and sense. :favorites37:

The Hellcat TB new cost me $200, MMX adapter was just under $200 but we'll call it $400. So for $400 I got a brand new OEM 92mm TB which has tons of value because if this thing is similar in operation to the ram 80mm version we are in business!!! I contacted my tuner who sent the file over after telling him what I was up to. Free of charge he sent me an update. Truck fired up on the first try. It has never stumbled, died, or any other possible throttle related problem.

After driving with it I noticed a difference only at tip in. It feels more tq. To drag racers this won't mean zip since they spend most of their time between 4000-7000 rpms. This difference is at 1000-3000 ish rpms.

With that being said it's a supporting mod. The more mods being installed the better the TB becomes.

My current setup
Mopar CAI
Hellcat TB
aFe 1 3/4 LT's
Clutch fan delete
V6 efan
CMR tuned using i3 Diablo
4.56 gears
37x12.5r20 nitto ridge grapplers for offroad fun

Truck is lifted and a daily driver.

I have zero idea if Hellcat is better than the competitors but I can tell you it works and if you can run 92mm without loss....why wouldn't you?
:evillol:

20200804_160128.jpg

20200804_180953.jpg

Intake is the only *****. 4" with about 110° of bend would be perfect. I need an update photo. Looks better now after this photo was taken.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I first installed the TB I was concerned it wouldn't work. For all I knew this was going to be a disaster. I did my research, and crunched numbers in dollars and sense. :favorites37:

The Hellcat TB new cost me $200, MMX adapter was just under $200 but we'll call it $400. So for $400 I got a brand new OEM 92mm TB which has tons of value because if this thing is similar in operation to the ram 80mm version we are in business!!! I contacted my tuner who sent the file over after telling him what I was up to. Free of charge he sent me an update. Truck fired up on the first try. It has never stumbled, died, or any other possible throttle related problem.

After driving with it I noticed a difference only at tip in. It feels more tq. To drag racers this won't mean zip since they spend most of their time between 4000-7000 rpms. This difference is at 1000-3000 ish rpms.

With that being said it's a supporting mod. The more mods being installed the better the TB becomes.

My current setup
Mopar CAI
Hellcat TB
aFe 1 3/4 LT's
Clutch fan delete
V6 efan
CMR tuned using i3 Diablo
4.56 gears
37x12.5r20 nitto ridge grapplers for offroad fun

Truck is lifted and a daily driver.

I have zero idea if Hellcat is better than the competitors but I can tell you it works and if you can run 92mm without loss....why wouldn't you?
:evillol:

View attachment 232891

View attachment 232893

The question is why spend 400+ on a throttle body if it isn't going to gain you anything other then a little better throttle tip-in,i can think of other places to spend 400 bucks. I'm not a fan of lightening my wallet with-out at least enough of a gain in power,that it's noticable and shows up on a timeslip,lol

Intake is the only *****. 4" with about 110° of bend would be perfect. I need an update photo. Looks better now after this photo was taken.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine

In hindsight you could always make it a point to leave the TB last in modifications. Infact if someone asked what order of mods should I do?? I would recommend in this order:

Tuner (computerized trucks will not be able to take advantage of aftermarket mods without the computer being told to do so. (Simplified) I use i3 because being able to tune the trans is the other have of the battle.

Remove the clutch fan and AC fan. Install the Mopar v6 fan. (Side note) I still want to get pwm control on the 13-18 chassis with a 19-20 fan. I've never been pleased with the vibration the v6 fan can produce. Either we need more antivibration engineered into the installation or that fancy new fan.

Exhaust: Long tubes!!! The hemi heads have excellent flow. We have a dual runner intake manifold stock which the computer adjusts for power. Get those cast manifolds off after you need a gasket and bolt replacement. Use ARP bolts. I can't tell you the loss I feel when I have to do a job again because of bolts. Gaskets I have no opinion on. I haven't had an exhaust leak due to gasket failure. Always bolts. Now Californians I understand your situation with smog etc. Do the SRT manifolds. They are OEM, have heat shields etc and considered mid length. I went with aFe because they put the hiflo cats right behind the header (I like this) the O2 sensors are happy. No extra modifications need. The 3" y-pipe is sweet flowing into a 3.5" mid-pipe before getting to the muffler. This mod has made the most additional power to date. Either my expectations were lowered driving a lifted truck or they just make that much power. My only gripe is 409 SS. I'd prefer 304 but AZ winters aren't too harsh :birgits_tiredcoffee

Muffler: I did a Carven R noise maker :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:. I'm sure my neighbors hate me but I don't care. It sounds so badass. Up to you if you want to spend money on additional exhaust modifications.

Once the exhaust is opened up you're ready for intake modifications. Assuming your NA like me and more than likely staying all motor you should decide now what intake manifold you're going to keep. The 6.4 truck manifold is an excellent modification. Reason it makes sense here is because of wasting money on the 5.7 CAI orientation. If you decide on the 6.4 manifold you get injectors, rails etc. You will need to either hack-a-cold air intake like me or buy one. You can choose to do a TB while you're in there but it's not a deal breaker if you save your cash.

Cam would be next. Now this is where it gets tricky so bear with me. I HAVE to be able to pass emissions without that Damm CEL light going off unless commanded. I want a full phase cam upgrade. So what does that mean? It means no cam locker because of piston to valve clearance issues. But with aftermarket pistons and enough valve relief built in, it can be done. I need as minimal chop as possible. I can't leave the guy at the DMV without any possibility of passing. Only Harleys get away with that. This is why that 30hp MMX cam is so appealing. I honestly don't want to do more than the drop in cam till the lifters take a ****. I'm trying to limit my spending by wearing out what I have before the Misses will approve upgrades.

Now back to the TB. I was more motivated to get it to work versus anything else. As long as it didn't lose power it was staying on the truck. That's what I told myself anyway. Plus just having hellcat parts that actually work on Ram is cool. :anitoof::anitoof: But yeah to answer the question for the drag racers you can definitely spend 400 in tires or suspension that would make a hell of a lot more ET difference than this mod. This is a daily driver don't floor it every where but get much better throttle response modification.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In hindsight you could always make it a point to leave the TB last in modifications. Infact if someone asked what order of mods should I do?? I would recommend in this order:

Tuner (computerized trucks will not be able to take advantage of aftermarket mods without the computer being told to do so. (Simplified) I use i3 because being able to tune the trans is the other have of the battle.

Remove the clutch fan and AC fan. Install the Mopar v6 fan. (Side note) I still want to get pwm control on the 13-18 chassis with a 19-20 fan. I've never been pleased with the vibration the v6 fan can produce. Either we need more antivibration engineered into the installation or that fancy new fan.

Exhaust: Long tubes!!! The hemi heads have excellent flow. We have a dual runner intake manifold stock which the computer adjusts for power. Get those cast manifolds off after you need a gasket and bolt replacement. Use ARP bolts. I can't tell you the loss I feel when I have to do a job again because of bolts. Gaskets I have no opinion on. I haven't had an exhaust leak due to gasket failure. Always bolts. Now Californians I understand your situation with smog etc. Do the SRT manifolds. They are OEM, have heat shields etc and considered mid length. I went with aFe because they put the hiflo cats right behind the header (I like this) the O2 sensors are happy. No extra modifications need. The 3" y-pipe is sweet flowing into a 3.5" mid-pipe before getting to the muffler. This mod has made the most additional power to date. Either my expectations were lowered driving a lifted truck or they just make that much power. My only gripe is 409 SS. I'd prefer 304 but AZ winters aren't too harsh :birgits_tiredcoffee

Muffler: I did a Carven R noise maker :Big Laugh::Big Laugh::Big Laugh:. I'm sure my neighbors hate me but I don't care. It sounds so badass. Up to you if you want to spend money on additional exhaust modifications.

Once the exhaust is opened up you're ready for intake modifications. Assuming your NA like me and more than likely staying all motor you should decide now what intake manifold you're going to keep. The 6.4 truck manifold is an excellent modification. Reason it makes sense here is because of wasting money on the 5.7 CAI orientation. If you decide on the 6.4 manifold you get injectors, rails etc. You will need to either hack-a-cold air intake like me or buy one. You can choose to do a TB while you're in there but it's not a deal breaker if you save your cash.

Cam would be next. Now this is where it gets tricky so bear with me. I HAVE to be able to pass emissions without that Damm CEL light going off unless commanded. I want a full phase cam upgrade. So what does that mean? It means no cam locker because of piston to valve clearance issues. But with aftermarket pistons and enough valve relief built in, it can be done. I need as minimal chop as possible. I can't leave the guy at the DMV without any possibility of passing. Only Harleys get away with that. This is why that 30hp MMX cam is so appealing. I honestly don't want to do more than the drop in cam till the lifters take a ****. I'm trying to limit my spending by wearing out what I have before the Misses will approve upgrades.

Now back to the TB. I was more motivated to get it to work versus anything else. As long as it didn't lose power it was staying on the truck. That's what I told myself anyway. Plus just having hellcat parts that actually work on Ram is cool. :anitoof::anitoof: But yeah to answer the question for the drag racers you can definitely spend 400 in tires or suspension that would make a hell of a lot more ET difference than this mod. This is a daily driver don't floor it every where but get much better throttle response modification.

I wouldn't run the V6 fan till i'd see whether the stock e-fan couldn't keep the engine cool.To many guys out there figure they need the V6 fan,when in fact the stock electric fan is perfectly capable of doing the job,even with-out the shroud in place.There's a few guys in the southern hot States just running the stock electric fan and towing upwards of 4,000lbs with no issues.Do not buy the V6 fan till you've at least gave the stock electric fan a try first.I've raced my truck through the mountains a few times when the temps have been 95F running in 3rd and 4th gear ,between 4,000 and 6500 with no coolant temp issues,with no shroud and just the stock electric fan,but with a 180 thermostat , my oil temps would spike upwards of 220,that's one of the reasons why i went to dual remote filters,with the dual filters i've never seen in excess of 205 on oil temps,that's with my foot buried through the floorboards and upwards of 10 miles or better. Jay Greene has cams that don't require the phazor limiter,right up to his 1.5HL cam you're good with out the limiter .My 1,5HL Greene cam has no limiter and works pretty decently,but if you're truck is more daily driver then track oriented id go with his .5HL cam instead.Good post though Red

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
It was a joke.
I don't think larger/ported TB's are worth much if anything by themselves.
I honestly doubt the OP needs one and seriously doubt he'd notice the difference between a stock and ported one.

I would never consider the TB as a solo mod, nor would I go through this kind of effort trying to determine what my butt dyno is going feel when I swap a 300$ part. I was only looking for clarification on throttle body size when I started the thread but as most good conversations often do, this one evolved into more. So here are the reasons I seek TB size clarification / information:

(I believe my order of mods follows @RedSRT4Me)

truck mods Prior to Nov 1, 2020:
-ARH headers w high flow cats, solo mach 44 muffler
-Jay Greene Tune or Hemifever tune, have both run either
-CAI
-5.13 regear from 4.10 ratio

mods As of Nov 1, 2020
-new non-mds hellcat lifters
-heads intake and exhaust ported
-Heads intake valves and seats multi angle valve job
-new beehive RPM valve springs and forged push rods
-new Jay Greene camshaft - the Locker 222/228 at .050, .60/.59 max lift, 108 lsa
-new MMX Ported 6.4l intake manifold (new injectors and fuel rails)
-mechanical fan delete/new electric fan
-egr valve delete
-remove hi flow cats
-15% underdrive pulley
-Oil catch can
-180*F Tstat
-3000 Stall speed torque converter

everything listed is paid for, received, but not installed. I am waiting for my heads back from machine shop. once heads are back the above build will be implemented.

I would think my new configuration would surely benefit from more easily drawn in air. Im not blown or boosted, I know. And The sarcasm of "go all out with 105mm" is appreciated, LOL for real. I think sarcasm is a hoot. Especially by some spoiled west coaster jamn air with a blown 426 at sea level. (which I don't think you really need either) LOL totally kidding brother.

Is the stock 80mm TB still sufficient in your guys' opinion? itll save me $500 on a 85mm BBK.

I am not going to spend money on an 80mm ported to 84mm or 87mm. Those are only minor improvement at increasing the size of the smallest cross sectional area, which is what dictates max airflow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Here is the info that I was searching for initially. The image is courtesy of MMX. The smallest cross sectional area is 83mm, my stocker measured 81.3mm. Im sure the porting does add some throttle response, actually Im not really sure but thats what they say. Just a gain in throttle response is not my main focus. I'm going for improvement in max flow. At least with the sum of the build. The goal for the TB is to not be the limiting factor. That is really all.

A .85mm (less then 1mm) gain in the radius does not inspire me to spend the money. I could calculate the increase in mass flow of air with the increased size but honestly its not a trivial calculation and not worth the effort unless someone wants to see it.

I dont think the main TB number being marketed, either the 87mm or 84mm, is really all that pertinent to the max flow of the TB. When evaluating the air restriction through the bore, its still going to be at the 83mm mark. The 87mm area could be hogged out to 200mm it wouldnt matter.&so I think the lack of information on part sales like this is a technique and I'm sending my ported unit back. I think My 80mm stock unit can do as well as the 80mm ported units can, or close.

I think I might complete my build with my stocker then get a true bore 85mm or 92mm Hellcat w adapter and see if I can determine the stock unit to be restrictive or not. f107aa4ac585f2c73ebb2faec287b678.jpg

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
My bad! I should have paid closer attention to you mods!
Yeah with all that absolutely you should throw a TB at it.
I think an 85-87mm would be sufficient, but
a hellcat 92 just to be sure wouldn't hurt either.
;)

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Could you clarify which srt manifolds fit? Ive seen some say they're not a direct replacement and modifications are needed and some say they dont fit at all. Im very interested in this if its possible. Appreciate the help.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
Could you clarify which srt manifolds fit? Ive seen some say they're not a direct replacement and modifications are needed and some say they dont fit at all. Im very interested in this if its possible. Appreciate the help.

The y-pipe will need to be fabbed. They are not a direct replacement.

LoadedExpressRam

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the clarification. So which manifolds are we talking about exactly 6.1 or 6.4? And are these from a car or jeep?

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Here is the info that I was searching for initially. The image is courtesy of MMX. The smallest cross sectional area is 83mm, my stocker measured 81.3mm. Im sure the porting does add some throttle response, actually Im not really sure but thats what they say. Just a gain in throttle response is not my main focus. I'm going for improvement in max flow. At least with the sum of the build. The goal for the TB is to not be the limiting factor. That is really all.

A .85mm (less then 1mm) gain in the radius does not inspire me to spend the money. I could calculate the increase in mass flow of air with the increased size but honestly its not a trivial calculation and not worth the effort unless someone wants to see it.

I dont think the main TB number being marketed, either the 87mm or 84mm, is really all that pertinent to the max flow of the TB. When evaluating the air restriction through the bore, its still going to be at the 83mm mark. The 87mm area could be hogged out to 200mm it wouldnt matter.&so I think the lack of information on part sales like this is a technique and I'm sending my ported unit back. I think My 80mm stock unit can do as well as the 80mm ported units can, or close.

I think I might complete my build with my stocker then get a true bore 85mm or 92mm Hellcat w adapter and see if I can determine the stock unit to be restrictive or not. f107aa4ac585f2c73ebb2faec287b678.jpg

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................
And this is a ported TB....not a true bore

Example from Fastman:

The specifics of the 84mm Hemi TB's are as follows:
-Main Bore: 84mm (Stock Bore is 80mm)
-Front Side Taper Boring: The opening of the TB is Radiused and Taper Bored to almost 85mm leading back to the 84mm bore.
-New 84mm Blade: New Custom Blade with the correct factory angles
-Half Shaft: Modified Factory Shaft. The top of the shaft is removed providing +4mm more airflow at wide open throttle.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My bad! I should have paid closer attention to you mods!
Yeah with all that absolutely you should throw a TB at it.
I think an 85-87mm would be sufficient, but
a hellcat 92 just to be sure wouldn't hurt either.
;)
What are you running on yours? (Not that I think I'm going to be anywhere near that kind of air flow)

And I was totally just teasing about you having a supercharged 426. I think its bad ass, a blown 426? thats godlike dude, and you not only deserve it but should have a couple. Truck and car. Lol

There's a hint of envy, well more like heavy dose of envy, lol.

You were right tho, I had not said anywhere that I was dropping $10k. Lots of owners go for an enlarged TB like a bigger carb or such. Its pretty common, I do believe.

OP
OP
WY.Ram

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
And this is a ported TB....not a true bore

Example from Fastman:

The specifics of the 84mm Hemi TB's are as follows:
-Main Bore: 84mm (Stock Bore is 80mm)
-Front Side Taper Boring: The opening of the TB is Radiused and Taper Bored to almost 85mm leading back to the 84mm bore.
-New 84mm Blade: New Custom Blade with the correct factory angles
-Half Shaft: Modified Factory Shaft. The top of the shaft is removed providing +4mm more airflow at wide open throttle.
So the fastman would be considered a tru bore since he replaces the butterfly, and ports the entire bore to at least 84mm, correct?

Whats size do you run on yours?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

You'll also have to figure in the fact the throttle blade only opens to 80%,it doesn't actually stand straight up and down at WOT

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
So the fastman would be considered a tru bore since he replaces the butterfly, and ports the entire bore to at least 84mm, correct?

Whats size do you run on yours?

That would be the 1......Jay Greene recommended.
This was 3 years ago & the MMX Hellcat TB were not available at that time.

Last edited: