Throwing a code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RHorseUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I popped the hood on my 2013 Ram 1500 just so I could make sure it was 5w-20 oil that I needed to get and when I did I noticed the big plastic engine cover was tilted a little to the side and was loose. Last weekend I had pulled it off along with the S&B intake tube and did a good cleaning on all the plastic. I guess I didn't get the cover installed properly. Anyway, I fought with it trying to get it secured but it's kinda of a PITA without taking the tube off. So I unplugged the Air Temp Sensor, removed it and secured everything back properly. I start the truck up and check engine is on. Thinking it was the intake temperature sensor (as it has been many times before) I checked that with no luck. So after scanning it I find out it's a " P0456 - Evaporative Emissions System - Small leak detected.".
This is usually a gas cap issue but I've checked that with no luck. I've even tried to clear the code with no luck. I've checked to make sure o didn't knock any hoses off when I was messing with the engine cover and everything is tight. There not to much under that cover that I can see pertains to the Evap system but maybe I'm missing something? Any ideas? I had to have hit something when trying to get the cover back on. I hate to take it to the dealer. 3 year warranty was up 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RHorseUSMC

RHorseUSMC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess the code is one that needs so many cycles to clear. It actually cleared a few minutes ago when I started the truck. Whatever it was I must have fixed it when I had the cover off. Thanks for the reply. I will keep that in mind in the future.

savage_46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 swapped
Check your purge solenoid & the lines going to and from it. That's about the only thing underhood for evap, everything else is near the fuel tank. There might be a pcm flash update that addresses p0456. It may also not be related to what you did. Evap leak self testing pass/fail doesn't happen every key cycle or even overnight. A small leak can take about a week to set a code. Gas cap & esim are the most common failures, I've heard of the purge solenoid being somewhat common also.

EDIT: Just checked TSB's, there are 3 available that involve a PCM flash; 1 of which does not have a build date cut off. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have the dealer check your PCM flash level & see if an update is available. Unfortunatly, TSB's & other service info do not list updated flash levels. Hooking up the scan tool is the only way to tell if an update is actually available for your vehicle

Last edited:

deangtp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have that code come up a lot. It's been to the dealer about 3-4 times. They fix something but it always comes back. So idk