Tick or manifold bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 2013 5.7 with 74’000 miles just started making a ticking sound. Only on cold start up for about the first 5 to 10 seconds the goes away. Is this the infamous Hemi tick or could it be the manifold bolts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAMTRPR

"Enjoy The Little Things"
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my 2013 5.7 with 74’000 miles just started making a ticking sound. Only on cold start up for about the first 5 to 10 seconds the goes away. Is this the infamous Hemi tick or could it be the manifold bolts?

Check manifold bolts first. If the tick does not go away then you might have the Hemi tick. Most likely bolts.

Mine I just grabbed the manifold heat shield and it rattled around near the rear of the motor (broken bolts)

2009 QCSB 4WD - Not Stock [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I doubt it’s manifold bolts. It wouldn’t go away in 5-10 seconds if it was. The sound would go away once the engine was warmed up.

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Check your warranty too. I took mine in 2 days ago to have them investigate my ticking noise and they did so under the powertrain warranty. He also said manifold bolts were covered and also mentioned that Ram was tracking the exhaust leak issues.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you really mean 5-10 seconds its probably lubrication related.

If the engine has time to warm and that makes the sound go away, then its exhaust manifold bolts.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I had broken bolts on my 05 Hemi Durango and my 13 Hemi Ram. Easy way to tell, cold start truck, when you start driving for the first block or so the rpms will seem higher than normal and can hear engine, then after about a block of driving, all is normal and rpms are fine. Both my hemis did same thing and the higher rpms both did this for first 2 or 3 minutes of driving.

OP
OP
Rampaige

Rampaige

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you really mean 5-10 seconds its probably lubrication related.

If the engine has time to warm and that makes the sound go away, then its exhaust manifold bolts.

Yeah, it probably is longer than the 10 seconds. The motor is definitely done with it’s cold “high rev” start up. So I’m thinking exhaust manifold bolts too

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Check your warranty too. I took mine in 2 days ago to have them investigate my ticking noise and they did so under the powertrain warranty. He also said manifold bolts were covered and also mentioned that Ram was tracking the exhaust leak issues.

They arent tracking anything. It's been a known issue since 2004

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They arent tracking anything. It's been a known issue since 2004

Ok, I’ll pass that along to the service manager that said Ram was tracking the exhaust leak issue.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
How long does it take to extract the broken part from the head ?

Sounds difficult.

CanadianNick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
How long does it take to extract the broken part from the head ?

Sounds difficult.
Well that all depends how it’s broken off. You can get lucky and be able to grab the end of it with some vise grips. If you can’t you can try to use a screw extractor but that can be a pain. I think best way is to weld a hex nut onto the broken screw so you can get a wrench on it. Also the heat from welding the nut on makes it much easier to take out also

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
From what I have researched, the Hemi exhaust leak complaint is one of the most common and IT IS a known problem. My 2018 2500 6.4 was delivered with a factory exhaust leak on start up. Have had it to the dealer several times. Now have 3500 miles. In fairness to the service managers I have engaged. They first checked to see if the noise was from the valve train. A known problem with "some" 6.4. They then checked the exhaust manifold for cracks or broken bolts. Both inspections were negative. If they had found either condition they could have gotten a warranty repair approval. They agree the truck has an exhaust leak on start up and comes back when the truck is put in gear. It goes away after several minutes of driving. "Normal and customary" They believe that the exhaust leak is some where below the exhaust manifolds. Cannot get a warranty repair until either the leak is constant or a check engine light exhaust code comes on. This is clearly a design and part quality problem. Manifold material and head materiel are so different that they expand and contact causing the poor quality bolts to snap. When the dealer gets the replacement manifold or bolts, it it the same junk. This is why we see owners having to take their vehicle back several times for the same problem.
Until Dodge is forced to acknowledge this problem and provide the dealers with a replacement part correction along with a service alert or TSB, the conscientious service manager takes the customer heat. I have been down this road before. I will get them to resolve.

sparky300

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My '11 5.7 had the cold-start tick when I bought it used 2 years ago, out of factory warranty at 58k miles. Had it inspected by an independent shop and they found no broken manifold bolts BUT, both manifolds were warped and the gaskets were toast. Replaced manifolds with OEM and NAPA gaskets and no issues as of yet 20k miles later.

Last edited:

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine

Manifold bolts. The Hemi tick is when the engine/oil is at operating temperature.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had the same symptoms in my ram and thought it was hemi tick (120,000 miles). Would go away after it warmed up. Turned out to be broken exhaust manifold bolts.

RUSHified2112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just dropped my 14' off at the dealer for some recall fixes. Had to have em look at my fuel filler neck too, when I put gas in it, sometimes I cant get it out and it also cracked a little bit and the neck now sits a bit crooked.

As far as the tick, I told them it does it pretty loud at startup, but mostly goes away when warm.

Just got a call, they said I had a couple of broken manifold bolts. It's still covered on the powertrain warranty, I have 61k on it now, the filler neck bbn issue is covered on that lifetime mopar warranty I bought but there is a 100 deductable on it.

I think my question is, does the bolt fix take care of the tick or is that just their way of getting me outta there? I'm still leary of dealers.

I'll post back the results when I get the truck back.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the bolts are broken long enough, the manifolds might warp. The correct way to fix it is to replace the bolts and either replace the manifolds completely or machine the surface of the flange completely flat again (in case they are warped).

It seems some dealers will just slap bolts on, some will machine the manifolds along with bolts and some might actually replace the manifolds along with the bolts.

If the manifolds arent warped then just replacing the bolts should be OK. Maybe ask your dealer if they checked the manifolds for flat and what process they are planning on doing to fix the issue.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I've had broken manifolds repaired by dealer 3 times on my 2013. Last time they couldn't drill out broken bolt, send head to the machine shop, and this repair broke a week later again. I took it back and they kept the truck for a month to replace one of the heads.

Yes replacing broken bolts is the right repair, but you have no idea what the mechanic will do. Look at what happened to me .... Because of an idiot dealer mechanics.

If i do it again, I would insist that they let me see the truck and manifolds before they mount them back on, and I'd make sure it's not warped and was resurfaced! Otherwise it'll leak again. Of course they won't like that or will try to mount it prior to showing it to me, so I would sit there and wait to MAKE them show it to me. I'm 100% sure the tech will do minimum work otherwise to go home early

I'm done with the ****** dealership near my home, and they are the biggest in the area...

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manifolds warping is what's causing the bolts to break in the first place. If they replace bolts and put old manifolds back on without resurfacing you're still going to have at least an exhaust leak or more broken bolts in the near future . The proper fix is new bolts, either resurfaced or new manifolds, new gaskets, and bolts torqued properly. OR, just go with a set of shorties that will match up to you're stock exhaust system.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500