Ticking??? (YouTube video?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Here is about a min long vid of my engine running. This was from a cold start, I don’t feel as though you can hear it as well until I’m on the passenger side of the truck. I also feel like the tick is more audible when the truck is fully warmed up. There doesn’t seem to be a loss in power, my fuel economy really hasn’t changed much either averaging about 15mpg. The ticking doesn’t get louder with higher rpms just more frequent and then at about 1500rpm I can’t hear it any longer. If I have all the accessories (radio/ heat) in the truck turned off I can hear the tick clearly inside the truck at idle, especially if it’s drive or reverse. It quiets down but is still audible when it’s in park.

What do you all think? Sorry about quality of the sound, when I have my truck back from the shop and if I don’t have it resolved I’ll take better sound clips.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Burla here it is. Not the best vid, I did this when I was changing the oil about a month ago. I wonder/feel like I’ve been hearing the sound for a while but it is now just a bit louder. Thanks

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear possibly a SLIGHT bit of piston slap other then that sounds like a normal hemi Run good synthetic oil 5w30 Not 20 and change it ever 4k miles.
How many miles on it?

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hear possibly a SLIGHT bit of piston slap other then that sounds like a normal hemi Run good synthetic oil 5w30 Not 20 and change it ever 4k miles.
How many miles on it?
I’ve 105k on it now and I bought it with 86k on it. I’m currently running Redline 5-20 but honestly doesn’t sound any different than when I was using Pennzoil full syn 5-20. So far I’ve been changing it when the indicator tells me too at 5k miles.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve 105k on it now and I bought it with 86k on it. I’m currently running Redline 5-20 but honestly doesn’t sound any different than when I was using Pennzoil full syn 5-20. So far I’ve been changing it when the indicator tells me too at 5k miles.
change to 5w30 next oil change its thicker thats what most of us run.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Mild hemi tick right there, pretty much garden variety hemi tick. Meaning, it is about a 99% chance it is either exhaust bolts or a lifter. It's a little hard to gauge because two facts are fighting against each other. Usually if it is bolts, when warm is quiets down as seals expand with heat. If it is lifters, usually redline is gonna make some difference, I would always use 5w30 redline and a rp 20-820.

When taking a youtube, you always put the recorder under the engine more towards back before starting and leave it alone for like 3 minutes. You should try this, you might catch a swish sound on start up, but do when it is cold and the seals are shrunk up.

If I had a guess here it would be exhaust, it seams like a little more swishy then sewing machine, no I'm not sure, but I am leaning towards one of your exhaust manifold bolts snapped. If it is this, of course no redline will matter, no oil can fix that.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
Thanks I’ll give that a try
Nampa!? ha, i'm just a stones throw from you in Meridian. Try that In-N-Out yet? that tick isn't too bad there bud. I second trying to use RL 5w-30 and put a RP 20-820 filter on there at the same time. let it sit fully overnight though tonight and get under your truck in the morning and reach up toward the ends of the exhaust manifold heat shields and give them a tug. You'll know immediately if you have a broken manifold bolt or if it's loose. Ammerman's in Garden City is the bees knees of good exhaust shops around here.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mild hemi tick right there, pretty much garden variety hemi tick. Meaning, it is about a 99% chance it is either exhaust bolts or a lifter. It's a little hard to gauge because two facts are fighting against each other. Usually if it is bolts, when warm is quiets down as seals expand with heat. If it is lifters, usually redline is gonna make some difference, I would always use 5w30 redline and a rp 20-820.

When taking a youtube, you always put the recorder under the engine more towards back before starting and leave it alone for like 3 minutes. You should try this, you might catch a swish sound on start up, but do when it is cold and the seals are shrunk up.

If I had a guess here it would be exhaust, it seams like a little more swishy then sewing machine, no I'm not sure, but I am leaning towards one of your exhaust manifold bolts snapped. If it is this, of course no redline will matter, no oil can fix that.
I’d love it if it were a manifold bolt or two but I did have both manifolds and bolts replaced shortly after I bought it last year. I suppose one of the new bolts could’ve broken, sounds like a common recurring issue. It’s currently at the shop that replaced the manifolds last year so they should be checking those out too.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nampa!? ha, i'm just a stones throw from you in Meridian. Try that In-N-Out yet? that tick isn't too bad there bud. I second trying to use RL 5w-30 and put a RP 20-820 filter on there at the same time. let it sit fully overnight though tonight and get under your truck in the morning and reach up toward the ends of the exhaust manifold heat shields and give them a tug. You'll know immediately if you have a broken manifold bolt or if it's loose. Ammerman's in Garden City is the bees knees of good exhaust shops around here.
Hey neighbor! Haven’t been to the in-N-out yet, I’ll give it another year or two to calm down before I go lol. I did have the manifolds and bolts replaced shortly after I bought the truck but I know those bolts break all the time. What throws me is the constant tick when the engine bay is heat soaked so that leads me away from manifolds but does not necessarily eliminate them. I’ve listened all over the engine with a stethoscope and i can’t necessarily isolate the sound. I feel like I hear it more towards the front of the engine (valve covers) on both sides but it’s faint and makes me think it could literally be coming from anywhere. I put the stethoscope on the oil pan and that just sounded like a constant whirring so I don’t think it’s rod knock which was initially suggested to me on a hunch. If the shop calls me tomorrow and they can’t give me a definitive answer I’m just going to pick my truck up. I scheduled an appointment for the dealer but they couldn’t get me in till the end of next month. In the meantime I’ll try to post some better videos of the noise with the engine both hot and cold. I’ll try to get the sound from inside the cab too. I’m really hoping it’s nothing as I’m only one year into my payments on this rig.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’d love it if it were a manifold bolt or two but I did have both manifolds and bolts replaced shortly after I bought it last year. I suppose one of the new bolts could’ve broken, sounds like a common recurring issue. It’s currently at the shop that replaced the manifolds last year so they should be checking those out too.
Why did the replace it, and who did the work? How long after replacement did it start ticking? Maybe they didnt do the job good? It isnt an easy fix, you have to remove broken bolts and thread it correctly, not something non exhaust shop guys do all the time.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like exhaust and injector tick use the stethoscope and put it on the injectors see if there is noise coming from them, also won't hurt to put some redline SR1 fuel system cleaner in it might quiet those injectors down, did they resurface the exhaust manifolds, if they're warped you will get exhaust leak, I use Remflex gaskets on mine.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why did the replace it, and who did the work? How long after replacement did it start ticking? Maybe they didnt do the job good? It isnt an easy fix, you have to remove broken bolts and thread it correctly, not something non exhaust shop guys do all the time.
Both headers were leaking pretty good and were loud when I bought it. It did quiet down after you got going and it warmed up but it was covered under warranty so I had the shop change the headers and bolts out. They are not a muffler shop, just a pretty standard repair shop, it was one of those situations where a friend of a friend worked there. The guy who my buddy was friends with no longer works there but I like the other guys well enough I kept going back. As far as when the ticking “started” that’s a hard question because I’ve always heard some sort of ticking since day one but this particular sound seems to really stand out to me and that’s been in the last 1-2 months. I’ve taken care of a lot of tune-up/ maintenance stuff that I feel has overall quieted the motor down in general and I wonder if now I’m able to hear what I’m hearing more clearly because of that and the noise I’m hearing really hasn’t changed, it’s just easier to hear.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like exhaust and injector tick use the stethoscope and put it on the injectors see if there is noise coming from them, also won't hurt to put some redline SR1 fuel system cleaner in it might quiet those injectors down, did they resurface the exhaust manifolds, if they're warped you will get exhaust leak, I use Remflex gaskets on mine.
The manifolds were both replaced with new mopar ones as well as the hardware. But still definitely a possibility…

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
yeah I second the stethoscope strategy, see what you can find touching it all the usual suspects.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
The manifolds were both replaced with new mopar ones as well as the hardware. But still definitely a possibility…
If you find that noise is higher up at the valve covers I'm wondering of you have a cracked valve spring, but from everything I've read on here, have the manifolds resurfaced by Ammermans (I've talked with the boss there and he had a Ram when I last spoke to him so he's well aware) and they can get you sorted. I know it's a drive but I like their work. Following to see the results. Good luck, neighbor

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The manifolds were both replaced with new mopar ones as well as the hardware. But still definitely a possibility
I wonder if the new mopar manifolds are warped and need to be resurfaced, now that you have heat soaked them, resurfacing them now will be one and done, meaning they won't most likely warp again, use Remflex gaskets.

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2019 is making exactly same noise,this is not manifold,but come from the engine,this sound is off every time I change the oil,for the first 4 kms,then is back

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my 2019 is making exactly same noise,this is not manifold,but come from the engine,this sound is off every time I change the oil,for the first 4 kms,then is back
Its most likely the oil. Drain the oil keeping the old filter on. Fill with six quarts of fresh oil. If the sound goes away for another 4 kms, then you will know that it was the oil. I can't get more than 2000 mikes out of any PUP before the valve train starts singing.

OP
OP
M

My2010Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shopped called me a little bit ago and gave me their assessment. The tech didn’t think anything sounded wrong with it and it sounded how a Hemi is going to sound around a 100k. He had their senior tech listen and drive it around both cold and hot and he didn’t discern anything abnormal either. That definitely makes me feel better. I’ll keep listening to it and see if anything changes, I have an appt with a dodge dealership in about a month and if the sound changes I’ll go there, if not I’ll cancel the appt. Thank you all for your input, I’ll come back with updates if anything changes. I’m still going to check those manifolds for my peace of mind.