Tie rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Recently got tires and was getting an allignment and the shop said i have bad inner tie rods and they need to be replaced before the allignment, i figured i can do it myself. Im gonna replace both inner and outer tierods on both sides. Is there already a thread about tie rods, or does anyone have any advice from previous experience with tie rods on their 3rd gen?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They unscrew and the new ones screw on. Pretty easy. Count the turns that the outer ends go on so you can get it kinda close back to where it should be to drive for the alignment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
waffleman10

waffleman10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well for the tie rod ends yeah, but i have to do the inner tie rods as well, those are more challenging right?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same thing. You just have to remove the dust boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slimvela

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
shouldn't take but maybe an hour...if you throw in a beer during "breaks"...and by "breaks" i mean just to take a sip of beer.

15" adjustable wrench for the inners, and wrench for the lock nut, and tie rod seperator for the outers is all you need.

just did mine 3 weeks ago, tape measure alignment and all it's good.

Jacagard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did mine last week. All I had was a 12" Crescent wrench, so I had to grind the nut a bit to get the old ones off. But it really is just as simple as unscrewing and screwing the new ones on. We counted threads for the outer ends, however my alignment was still wayyy out. Granted I replaced the LCA too.