Tinted Tails- Lamin X vs Spray on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tuspejo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So this past weekend a friend and I tried to install my Lamin X 6% tail light film.
this was my first time working with any type of vinyl or film, but my friend has work with vinyl wraps before but used to the thinner and easy to move around with soap and water.
when applying the Lamin X is very tacky and sticks right away to the tail light require quite a bit of force to remove, lining them up was a PIA. did the best we could but couldnt get them to line up properly. Finally called it quits, but i realy do like the tint level compared to no tint and my current sprayed tails.
3rd brake light has no tint, Middle is Lamin X 6% "Tint" and the dark on is 2 coast of Candy. IMG_1431.jpg
We tried to only do 1 coat of Candy but it came out very blotchy so we had no choice to go with 2 coats, came out nice and even just too dark for my likings.

Any one know a way to get the Lamin X 6% tint level by a spray on, mixture of clear and black or anything like that. I want my tail lights to last as long as possible, and ive see first hand experiences with VHT and not a fan of the quality.

and i do Have a set of Lamin X 6% "tint" for the head lights and fogs that i may be selling since i didnt want to waste my time and ruin a brand new set of film.
IMG_1443.jpg

any tips on getting my tail lights and possible the head lights to the same level of tint as the lamin X 6% "tint" films?
let me know thanks titus

monettejb

2018 Hydro Blue Edition Ram 1500
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pm me for how much you want for the fogs and headlights, i believe this is the route im going either way on the fogs and headlights.

readster

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 dodge ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
I use the VHT on my tails and third break used two caots ont the tails and three on the third they turned out very good been on there for about a year now and look as good as the day I did it .The third break light is a little dark but my tails are a good shade not too dark that I am worried about getting stopped
truckpic003.jpg
truckpic004.jpg
truckpics023.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
This is one medium coat of VHT with a really good clear coat
It looks darker in this picture then it really is, it's probably a medium of your two lights
If yours are blotchy then you probably need to spray a little heavier
B-7E6B-447A-9A6D-187DE5A3E488-787-000000BDB5F106DC.jpg

Yo Nadz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew Cab 4x4
I've got laminx on the way for mine, and I've used it before. You gotta get them pretty wet with soapy water. They are thick, and hard to get just right the first time. Best bet is to line them up the best you can, then work your way out from the middle with w squeegee. You may still have a few small air bubble and haze, but they will disappear as they cure.

OP
OP
T

tuspejo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've got laminx on the way for mine, and I've used it before. You gotta get them pretty wet with soapy water. They are thick, and hard to get just right the first time. Best bet is to line them up the best you can, then work your way out from the middle with w squeegee. You may still have a few small air bubble and haze, but they will disappear as they cure.

thats where i messed up i followed laminx's instructions and it states to use very little water.......

im stilll running my laminx tail lights, sold me smoked set on cumminsforums, but i kept my smoked 3rd brake light. i order 2 universals 24x24" sheets back during thier cyber monday sale, going to have a a reputable guy locally install them, already contacted him before but he didnt have sheets wide enough for the tail lights since he orders them in 12" wide rolls for european cars.