Tips Looking at a 99 360 AT 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06_inferno_srt8

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
Hello all. Mopar guy if you cant tell by the name.

Im looking at a 1999 Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 360 auto 224K $1200.00 Extended cab SB

Never owned a ram truck before and has the typical rust on the fender and box side. Was trying to find out what else I should look at if its even worth to get the truck. Basically is there anywhere on the frame I should be looking for rusted through spots? problem areas and that. Also anything on the engine that I should look out for. I know the new 6.1 but never wrenched on a 5.9

I have no problem doing any work that the truck needs my self just don't want to be buying one with a frame that's going to crumble.

Thanks for any pointers.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
What I would do is when you go to look at get under it and just do a quick look over and see if you see any problem areas. And if you test drive it ask him if the tranny has been rebuilt/replaced. Id hope and that amount of miles that it has be either replaced or rebuilt. If none of those are the case then thats something to keep in mind is that the trannys are weak for a lack of a better term.

The engines are work horses though. But a common problem is the plenum gasket being bad. That cause ticking issues and consumption of a decent amount of oil. Theres a whole thing about the plenum fix that you can look into and a bunch of videos on youtube as well. But as far as the whole truck overall, they are great trucks. Way ahead of its time back in the late 90s and early 2000's. Just give it a good look over if you go to look at it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Take it for a test drive. Before starting it, wiggle the wheel. Does the whole body move? After starting go full lock to full lock. Does it feel "off" or messed up. Watch the steering when driving it too. Get up to at least 65. This will show you if there's any death wobble (violent shaking of the steering wheel).

Rust on the frame and stuff USUALLY isn't an issue but should still be looked at. Transmission as bassslayer25 suggested. Engine problems such as misfires, stumbling, bad idle etc are USUALLY fairly easy to fix/identify. Usually not too expensive. Again this is all usually, there's always an exception.

All in all the suspension on these trucks is strong and durable and the engines more so. I've seen em run for too long in 1qt or less and they have 5.5qts when full. They're not race trucks but bolt ons make em really fun. The exhaust still has more of the old sound to it too which many like.

OP
OP

06_inferno_srt8

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
What I would do is when you go to look at get under it and just do a quick look over and see if you see any problem areas. And if you test drive it ask him if the tranny has been rebuilt/replaced. Id hope and that amount of miles that it has be either replaced or rebuilt. If none of those are the case then thats something to keep in mind is that the trannys are weak for a lack of a better term.

The engines are work horses though. But a common problem is the plenum gasket being bad. That cause ticking issues and consumption of a decent amount of oil. Theres a whole thing about the plenum fix that you can look into and a bunch of videos on youtube as well. But as far as the whole truck overall, they are great trucks. Way ahead of its time back in the late 90s and early 2000's. Just give it a good look over if you go to look at it.

Okay thanks. Just didn't know if there was a certain area on the frame that more common to issues.

And yeah I read that the engines run forever basically but the AT transmission were basically crap after 150k or so.

And if its not been rebuilt or replaced I was thinking about finding one to rebuild my self while i drive it till it blows.

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Okay thanks. Just didn't know if there was a certain area on the frame that more common to issues.

And yeah I read that the engines run forever basically but the AT transmission were basically crap after 150k or so.

And if its not been rebuilt or replaced I was thinking about finding one to rebuild my self while i drive it till it blows.

Im at 178,000 miles and im not really sure if the tranny has been rebuilt or if it has a new one or not. Ive owned the truck for 2 years and the tranny has only slipped once and that was pulling a trailer and trying to accelerate heavily.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Also just remembered. Pop the hood and look at the pcm (passenger side by the door on the firewall). If it has handwriting or days anything about a software update, you have death flash. Not a big deal as its easy to remove but you won't be able to take full advantage of the power the truck SHOULD have

bassslayer25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360 V8
Also just remembered. Pop the hood and look at the pcm (passenger side by the door on the firewall). If it has handwriting or days anything about a software update, you have death flash. Not a big deal as its easy to remove but you won't be able to take full advantage of the power the truck SHOULD have

hmm. I should look and see if I have that.

KyleW2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2008 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm 99% sure my truck has writing where you're describing..its pretty worn down though and next to impossible to read. What did this update do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
I'm 99% sure my truck has writing where you're describing..its pretty worn down though and next to impossible to read. What did this update do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here
The "Death Flash" was a flash to the stock PCM to retard timing since customers were complaining of spark knock. This was a bs fix for the actual problem and robs you of power. In '99 or '00 they came out of the factory with it already done, iirc. If you have a sticker on your PCM or on your front rail (or just about any place they felt like slapping it on) in your engine bay, then you have the death flash. It usually says something along the lines of "Software Update".

Talking to the dealer about it is pointless, they won't have a clue. Getting a tuner that removes it is the way to go.

OP
OP

06_inferno_srt8

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
Thanks for all the pointers. I plan to look at the truck this Sunday or Monday.

IF I see what I like I will be bringing it home.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yeah not a fan of the big lifted style, so we are safe on that front I made sure it didn't have a lift on it at any point or oversized tires.

I'm simply not a fan of buying someone else's ****box lol

OP
OP

06_inferno_srt8

Reaction score
Ram Year
NA
Engine
I'm simply not a fan of buying someone else's ****box lol

agreed which is funny as I am currently trying to get rid of one haha.

first car I have ever owned a 2000 Monte Carlo SS with 155k. owned it for 10 years and now want a truck to go with the SRT

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerred17