Tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My tires stock are 245/70/17 chart says 30.5 X 9.7

I have a chance to buy a set removed from a hummer, 285/70/17 chart says 32.7 X 11.2

I know the will technically "fit" my rims but being a they belong on a rim 1.5" wider is that .75 a side going to cause excessive wear in the middle of the tread? Has anyone done this before and had problems... concerns...

Thanks-
Jim

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nah you're good with 285s. Just run proper tire pressure, probably 35? Higher if they're LT tires. I've seen 35/12.50's on 6" wide dually rims without issues.
I had 285/75r16s on my old ram 1500 with the stock 17s and they had perfect contact patches with the road, no issues.

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
You'll clear no prob, your tire wear depends on your air pressure and alignment.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
I have a 2002 with the 245/70X17 tires. My factory wheels are 8inch wide. I also have a 2011 with 285/70X17 tires. The factory wheels on this on are 7.5 wide.

Can't say on the wear because the tires on the 2011 were new when I bought the truck used. I only have about 8,000 mile on them now. The wear seems normal so far. This was the factory size on my 2011 when built.

When I bought my 2002 used it had 265/70X17. I had some transmission over heating due to the larger than factory tire. I changed to the stock 245's and never had that problem again.

In 2002 when you opted for the larger tire the rear end changed from 3:55 to 3:92 ratio. My 2011 has the 3:92 ratio.

reindeerman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 2002
Engine
Thanks for the input, @reindeerman, was your 2002 a 4wd with the trans cooler? Did the problem with overheating happen all the time or just when attempting to tow something?http://www.ramforum.com/member.php?u=32838

Yes it is 4wd with the trans cooler. I was not towing at the time but I did have two sleighs in the back of the truck and they stuck up about two foot above the cab and added a bit of wind resistance. It was in the summer and I was traveling out West. Going thru Kansas it was 110 degrees. By the time I got to Colorado it had cooled down to about 100 degrees. When I started hitting the hills in Colorado the check engine light came on and the transmission went into limp mode. I had been running a little over the speed limit and using overdrive when it happened. I was able to make it to Denver for my stop. After it cooled down the trans went back to normal. The engine temp was never a problem just a tad over normal. On my return trip I turned the overdrive off and did not have any problems.
When I returned home I checked the codes and figured out it was a trans temp problem. I went ahead and replaced the tires with the factory size. Never had the problem again. Since I have put about 100,000 miles on this truck and about 95% of that is towing a livestock trailer running within a hundred or so pounds of the combined weight limit. But I always turn the overdrive off.
Note - there is a trans overheat indicator in the cluster where the odometer is and you can see it if the sun hits it just right. This is only used 2500 and up models. On the 1500 you just get a check engine light.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm glad for this info, thank you. most days in mid ohio are less than 100 degrees and I don't own sleighs. I do plan on pulling a trailer and picking up a southern ford ranger sometime this summer though so I have a decision to make. I'm thinking that not using overdrive will do the trick.

It's the attraction of being able to get a set of very slightly used tires for less than 25% of new price and the truck looks like it needs larger diameter tires IMO LOL.

I don't like the idea of messing up the basic function of a truck which is to haul and pull stuff.

If this is the toughest decision I have to make this week I will be happy for sure :) Thanks guys-

bulrid8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I run 285's on my 2002 with no problem. If tires are making trans overheat, you have other problems. The 285 is the perfect tire for a 4x4. Does help if you have taller gears. I have 4.10's in mine.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I bought the Michelin 285/70/17's from hummer dude, his hummer was spotless and he was at least 70 years old. He bought the hummer with those on it and swapped them for the proper tires to match his spare so you can imagine they are in great shape.

They are taller than the chart says or either my stock tires are smaller than the chart says because they are about 3" taller sitting beside the old ones with no air in them so this is going to be an interesting swap.

I'm having them mounted tomorrow so I'll get some before and after shots.

I'm freakin excited, hard to explain. After the replies on this thread I can assure you any time there is a load or a trailer I will have the "No Overdrive" switch pushed in just to be safe. I almost didn't buy them because of that but I bet if they start causing me issues I can swap them out for a stock set really quickly! One post on craigslist.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mistake I read that wrong I'll try again.
Ok the tire's aren't mounted but standing one up to your mount tire won't be the correct difference. It's center to center harder to measure un mounted. But try holding the tire up so bead is by rim of wheel. Then measure the difference. I don't think it will be 3".

Last edited:

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Technically" 245's are 30's and 285's are 33s (with slight discrepancies), so it's close enough to 3" as you'll get with metric numbers. They'll look awfully nice there either way. What brand are they?

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"Commonly" 245's are 30's and 285's are 33s (with slight discrepancies), so it's close enough to 3" as you'll get with metric numbers. They'll look awfully nice there either way. What brand are they?

Fixed it for you

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here they are pre mount from yesterday. I'm leaving in a few minutes to be the first in line at my favorite tire store.

I know they aren't as "agressive" as some of you like but let me remind you this is a daily driver back and forth to work and will likely only see off roading by necessity or accident.

tiresfortruck.jpg

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here they are pre mount from yesterday. I'm leaving in a few minutes to be the first in line at my favorite tire store.

I know they aren't as "agressive" as some of you like but let me remind you this is a daily driver back and forth to work and will likely only see off roading by necessity or accident.

View attachment 68867

If you don't need aggressive tire's you don't need them[emoji57]. It's your money, do with it as you want.

OP
OP
JAMMAN

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the deed is done. Swapped and front end finally aligned.

Took it through a car wash after and noticed just now the black cover on my drivers side mirror is just gone. The rest turned out OK!

Before:
before.jpg

And after:
aftah.jpg