Tires and Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Morning/Afternoon!

I am a 2017 1500 5.7L hemi and have a TT that weighs around 7500 pounds. I am in the market for new tires as I currently have the stock tires on there.

What is everyone running on their trucks?

Also, I was going to upgrade to a 3500 but my wife and I decided the extra 300 a month isn't worth it so I have around 1-2K to spend on upgrading my suspension to keep the trailer from porpoising. Do you have any suggestions on what to add? I am thinking airbags will be a huge help but what else have you all used?

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Using LT tires instead of the stock P(assenger) tires helps with towing. They are heavier and stiffer though so there is a little MPG and ride comfort penalty. Which LT tires depends on where you're going and what climate you encounter. I frequently travel along rough roads/dirt roads and we have snow that gets plowed but no road salt so I use snow-rated all-terrains.

Tires likely won't fix porpoising though. It's more a function of how long the trailer is, how weight is distributed inside it and how tight the WDH is cranked. Try less tension on the WDH bars which creates more sag and see if it feels different.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree that LT tires keep the truck feeling more stable while towing. Last 3 sets of tires (one set currently on this truck, two on a previous 4x4) are continental terraincontact . everyone has a favorite set of tires, these take care of my needs.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Tires likely won't fix porpoising though. It's more a function of how long the trailer is, how weight is distributed inside it and how tight the WDH is cranked. Try less tension on the WDH bars which creates more sag and see if it feels different.
Almost but no..
If you loosen the tension on the WDH, it's liable to porpoise more and the front end will go light.
Get the load distributed better and check the WDH set up using CAT scales. That will show you exactly how much tongue weight and how much weight you have redistributed back to the front axle of the truck. At minimum all of the weight needs to be restored on the front axle. Depending on how big of a trailer, the OP could add a set up helper airbags to firm up the rear end, the WDH set up will need to be adjusted for using them.

I have both helper air bags(TLC) and Load Range E tires (factory spec) and tow a 28' trailer that tips over 8K pounds depending on what's loaded.

Last edited:

csuder99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Almost but no..
If you loosen the tension on the WDH, it's liable to porpoise more and the front end will go light.
Get the load distributed better and check the WDH set up using CAT scales. That will show you exactly how much tongue weight and how much weight you have redistributed back to the front axle of the truck. At minimum all of the weight needs to be restored on the front axle. Depending on how big of a trailer, the OP could add a set up helper airbags to firm up the rear end, the WDH set up will need to be adjusted for using them.

I have both helper air bags(TLC) and Load Range E tires (factory spec) and tow a 28' trailer that tips over 8K pounds depending on what's loaded.

Disagree, and so does at least Ford who recommend between 25% and 50% front axle load restoration depending on truck model. SAE J2807 also calls for 50% FALR when not specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer. Restoring all the weight on the front or getting the truck level is last millennium wisdom and one of the reasons for poor handling towing combinations.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The SAE is another point to consider, but one of the assumptions that made me turn a bit of a skeptical eye to that standard is the assumption of a driver and passenger both weighing less than what the current average is. I am not stating it is wrong, just that it needs to be taken in the context it is written.

I also believe that it is important to follow the manufacturer guidelines because they ultimately are written to ensure the truck is not used past it's capabilities. While maybe not perfect, they are the recommendation and can help protect the other drivers on the road.

One thought:. The front brakes are responsible for the majority of your braking ability. The trailer brakes should only support the weight of the trailer so if you don't use a WDH properly your overall stopping distance increases beyond what it should be. The towing capabilities of the truck as built cannot be expanded by spending more money beyond what one would spend to properly provision said truck with a WDH. One should always buy a truck that matches the desired towing weight and not push a lighter duty truck past recommendations.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
For tires LT is a good idea but don't feel like you have to go too nuts. You'll see a lot of people talk about "E rated" which is what HD trucks run. That's total overkill for your situation. A good D rated at around 2500#/tire is I nice compromise - MUCH more capable than what you have stock and well more than your axle is rated at. I want to say the RAWR for that truck is 3900# so 5000# worth of tires is plenty.

As for suspension, be sure the WDH and sway are setup correctly and maybe consider some airbags. I like my Firestone 5000s. I'm not a fan of the cheapie Airlift 1000 type but it would be better than nothing.

Upgraded tires, good WDH/sway and some airbags and you should have a good setup. Although 7500# trailer with a 1500 truck is pushing it. Please tell me that's the scaled weight and not the dry weight?

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '18 5.7 1500 w/3.92. You can get a lot for 1-2K. Here is what I would do: LT tires, Airlift 1000HD bags, Hellwig rear sway bar and some Bilsteins. My TT GVWR is about the same as yours. These upgrades will make a big difference.

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes that is the scaled weight. I think dry weight is slightly over 6K

Thanks for the information on the tires! I appreciate it

OP
OP
R

ram1500newbie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an '18 5.7 1500 w/3.92. You can get a lot for 1-2K. Here is what I would do: LT tires, Airlift 1000HD bags, Hellwig rear sway bar and some Bilsteins. My TT GVWR is about the same as yours. These upgrades will make a big difference.

Thank you

What LT tires do you have?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Disagree, and so does at least Ford who recommend between 25% and 50% front axle load restoration depending on truck model. SAE J2807 also calls for 50% FALR when not specified otherwise by the vehicle manufacturer. Restoring all the weight on the front or getting the truck level is last millennium wisdom and one of the reasons for poor handling towing combinations.
They don't specify what for which model truck and towing a trailer with a Cummins or Powerstroke straddled over the front axle is entirely different than gasser.
Having an extra 1000 lbs of ballast over the front axle reduces the amount of weight lost due to tongue weight.
J2807 is a testing standard, not an engineering standard. The difference is they don't want manufacturers spiking numbers by forcing weight to pad performance. Everyone has to play within the same rules, they go so far as to specify the truck tested be of 33% market penetration.
Even if you restore all the weight to the front axles, the larger percentage of weight is still over the rear axle(this is key with using a WDH). If letting the front end of a vehicle go lighter than unloaded was bad than fivers must be horrible to tow...and we know that ain't the case.