Tonneau cover and carrying stuff on the roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireflex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Group - I am new so please forgive me if I post wrong - but I need help...

I have a 2500 Dodge Ram crew cab - I got a tonneau cover when purchased (G4 elite from fold a cover).

I pull a heavy 29' travel trailer and want to take my canoe with me.

In retrospect the G4?elite wasn't the best choice as it prevents uprights.

What should I do? Trash the G4? Do roof racks? Is there reasonably priced headache racks which would work with a G4 on?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covelle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I built a rack that works with my Backflip just for that reason. If you are only going to put a canoe on it, it is pretty easy to build one that will hold up to the highway driving providing you are good at strapping it down. If your cover goes over the pocket holes though you might be out of luck. I don't know how you would attach a rack with out having the pocket holes

OP
OP
F

fireflex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Could you post a picture?? I need an idea...

OP
OP
F

fireflex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
My tonneau does cover the holes - I wish they had a warning...

Juniorss

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is the reason I went with a rollup cover. You can still use the whole bed when you need to. Plus it was only $250 compared to the backflip.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Not sure how sensitive you are to money but if you like to have covered and secure bed area you can sell the tonneau and buy a topper like a Lear or Snug Top then put some nice Thule racks on top of it to carry the canoe.

Jackfate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yakima has rails that can be bolted through your roof . They have different lengths. Gives you adjustability between cross bars . Other companies make similar rails . The rails don't look bad when not used for carrying things. Was planning on doing this but considering getting rid of truck & getting van with rain gutters. I don't like the q clip fasteners not solid enough for me and they mar the paint & wear door seals