Took the chrome slats off the sport grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I took the slats off the grill because the weather is finally nice enough to do some painting and color match them and it actually doesn't look half bad without them. I'm actually not in a hurry to put them back on. It's kind of wierd looking but also sort of cool. I dont know yet. But one thing is for sure, never again chrome!

Attachments

• 20230429_192900.jpg
    20230429_192900.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230429_192907.jpg
    20230429_192907.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230429_192911.jpg
    20230429_192911.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 63

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
When my 2016 factory ordered Ram 1500 Big Horn arrived

I knew that i was going to de-chrome it

It came with the sports grille & i talked to the body shop that i use & told them that i would like to change out grilles.

He knew a dealership up closer to Los Angeles that he could order parts through & get delivery quickly.

He ordered a 2nd grille & i did not care for it & sent it back
A second grille was ordered & delivered & i had it sent back
a 3rd grille was ordered & i liked the Inserts.

So i kept it & used the Inserts & the original grilles outer surround

Original Ordered Ram is in the driveway

m9FTue.jpg

0Hpezo.jpg

2016 is in the driveway, after body work

hiUw0E.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So I took the slats off the grill because the weather is finally nice enough to do some painting and color match them and it actually doesn't look half bad without them. I'm actually not in a hurry to put them back on. It's kind of wierd looking but also sort of cool. I dont know yet. But one thing is for sure, never again chrome!
If you swap to the honeycomb inserts,you'll have more air flow to the rad.The sport grill is very restrictive to airflow with it's little holes

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you swap to the honeycomb inserts,you'll have more air flow to the rad.The sport grill is very restrictive to airflow with it's little holes

Have considered it, but my temps in the summer havent been bad.

I did take the close out panels off but I think those just reduce air drag so I probably poo pooed my mpgs for no benefits lmao

1SloRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I did take the close out panels off but I think those just reduce air drag so I probably poo pooed my mpgs for no benefits lmao
I removed those too, when I swapped combs for slats. I just wanna look cool, lol. Haven’t seen any change in mpg. Truck runs same as before.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer the honeycomb. You could pick up a takeoff chrome/honeycomb off Marketplace all day long for under a $100. Take it apart, toss what you dont need.

Dilligaf-23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you remove the chrome slats? I want honeycomb, but till I can find cheap grill. Just don't want to break anything taking out.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do you remove the chrome slats? I want honeycomb, but till I can find cheap grill. Just don't want to break anything taking out.

you need to remove the grill and then remove the close out vents which are sort of a pain, you will need a heat gun and flat head to do that. Then carefully from the back side use a flat head or trim tool to pop the clips and push each one forward. Be careful because they can be quite brittle but if you go slow you will be fine. I broke 1 tab in all, and each slat has 3, I might use a little glue if they feel loose going back on because the factory does have some random dabs of some sorta glue on them as well

Freakydude

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
cuz I got an ecodiesel I have the grills that close up on cold days to help performance of the motor. I really do like the honeycomb though and should have went with that from the stealer

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have a 2016
All that did was remove the dust cover that hides the radiator & support
It is held down with 6 plastic plugs.
Then i unbolted the grille support & lifted the the grille out

in this video, he shows how to remove the grille
Notice the tool that he uses, you can use plastic TRIM TOOL

Harbor Freight works just fine
1693700781724.png

the video, just watch the first 3 minutes

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Those close out panels direct and keep the airflow going just to the radiator - instead of the air going around the rad.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Those close out panels direct and keep the airflow going just to the radiator - instead of the air going around the rad.
I kept the panels on mine when i swapped the inserts,but only the 8 speed trucks have the panels. The trucks with RFE transmissions don't have the panels and they run perfectly fine with-out them

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I kept the panels on mine when i swapped the inserts,but only the 8 speed trucks have the panels. The trucks with RFE transmissions don't have the panels and they run perfectly fine with-out them
I wonder if it's because the 8 speed trans cooler is right there vs. the RFE cooler is in the radiator?

Though I haven't seen an RFE truck, I know on my son's Jeep it has the internal rad. trans cooler.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I wonder if it's because the 8 speed trans cooler is right there vs. the RFE cooler is in the radiator?

Though I haven't seen an RFE truck, I know on my son's Jeep it has the internal rad. trans cooler.
Trans cooler is still in the A/C condensor on the RFE equipped trucks,same place it is on the 8 speed trucks