Tow hooks vs front receiver...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Which would be ideal for a front pull point? The factory tow hooks, or a curt front hitch receiver with a d-ring adapter? I don't ever plan to pull from the front, but I'd like to have the option, should I ever need assistance, and the rear receiver isn't an option.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
both.believe me when i say that the lower receiver is way over engineered when it comes to bolt points and brackets.i would not hesitate to pull ANYTHING with it.i smashed into a rock 4 wheeling 2 weeks ago,right into the hitch and nothing.i think it's rated for 9500lb.straight line pull.probably more than the towhooks.i also upgraded the tow hook bolts when i installed the top receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

7777xm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tow hooks are ok for being recovered. Not recommended for pulling others.

I would think the front receiver would be stronger especially if tugged on at an angle, both while being recovered or trying to recover someone else

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Rustycowl69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 ram 3500
Engine
V10
my paranoia makes me warn you about how my friend's Jeep had a front receiver. It worked great, especially when the car thieves backed up to it and towed it out of his driveway. It wasn't recovered for like 5 years, and that was just a stroke of dumb luck.

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Swap out the hooks for receivers... I built a set of my own when I had my 07 CTD, I used them more than you would think on the farm.. Loved them for chaining up and towing things out easily.. and you can put hook receivers in them, d-ring receivers in them, tow ball receivers etc etc.. You can also have a portable mount winch plate that goes in front or rear, used that alot too.

I'll see if I can find some pics of my 07 set up

These are similar to what I fab's up myself
03-14 Dodge Curt Receiver Tow Hooks | PattonFab
Photo838.jpg

Kinda hard to see maube you can zoom in on the pic
IMG-20110905-00109.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Little Red

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
both.believe me when i say that the lower receiver is way over engineered when it comes to bolt points and brackets.i would not hesitate to pull ANYTHING with it.i smashed into a rock 4 wheeling 2 weeks ago,right into the hitch and nothing.i think it's rated for 9500lb.straight line pull.probably more than the towhooks.i also upgraded the tow hook bolts when i installed the top receiver.

My plastic bumper would explode, before the hitch could asve it. Lol.

Tow hooks are ok for being recovered. Not recommended for pulling others.

I would think the front receiver would be stronger especially if tugged on at an angle, both while being recovered or trying to recover someone else

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I didn't think about doing both, for more pull points.

my paranoia makes me warn you about how my friend's Jeep had a front receiver. It worked great, especially when the car thieves backed up to it and towed it out of his driveway. It wasn't recovered for like 5 years, and that was just a stroke of dumb luck.

If they can manage to make it out of my driveway, without the truck falling into either of the 4' deep drainage trenches, at the end of my driveway, they can have it. The road that runs along my driveway is only 12ft wide, and getting my brother's 10' utility trailer in and out, is a pain.

Swap out the hooks for receivers... I built a set of my own when I had my 07 CTD, I used them more than you would think on the farm.. Loved them for chaining up and towing things out easily.. and you can put hook receivers in them, d-ring receivers in them, tow ball receivers etc etc.. You can also have a portable mount winch plate that goes in front or rear, used that alot too.

I'll see if I can find some pics of my 07 set up

These are similar to what I fab's up myself
03-14 Dodge Curt Receiver Tow Hooks | PattonFab
Photo838.jpg

Kinda hard to see maube you can zoom in on the pic
IMG-20110905-00109.jpg

I'm not 100% sure that'd work on my 1500, but I'm gonna look into it.

OP
OP
Little Red

Little Red

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
For some reason I was thinking you had a HD... might be sound thing like that out there.

No worries. Sometimes I flip up my tow mirrors, and pull around my 30' fifth wheel ghost trailer, to feel like I own a HD. Lol

CF_Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Is there a way that anyone knows of, where I can have both the factory tow hooks and a front receiver on my 1500? I know I don't NEED both, but I would like to keep my factory tow hooks while having a front receiver for a winch set up. There must be a way.

EDIT: It looks as though Draw-Tite Makes this possible. Can anyone confirm this? http://www.draw-tite.com/support/installation/N65062.pdf

Last edited:

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I don't fully understand the question. Are you talking about "being" pulled? As in a recovery operation....or "pulling" something like a trailer to reposition?

IMO