Tow Package

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CARNEYM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I just purchased a new Ram 2013 Bighorn. Now part of the Big Horn package is you get class IV receiver, Hemi and I also got the 8 speed trans with 355 rear end gears. My question is, I see a lot of folks refer to Towing Package. I have looked allover the Ram web site and cannot find a Package labeled Towing.

Thanks Mickey

JohnnyDollar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I am no expert, but I read someone post that there is no "Tow Package"
at least not anymore. Perhaps there used to be.

I have a 2012 Lone Star edition, which is the Texas version of the Big Horn.
Sounds like I have the same setup as you do, and like you, I have not found a "Tow Package" listed as an option.
The 2012 specification sheet shows towing components as options: i.e. 4 & 7 pin trailer connectors, Class IV hitch

I do not have the trailer brake controller.

OP
OP
C

CARNEYM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks, Thought I was missing something. Yea i love the truck, getting around 19 combine and not babying it. I am planning on getting a toy hauler in the future. Trying to decide what my truck is capable of towing. It looks like with the right hitch, bags etc. that 7000 max with 700 to 800 lbs of hitch weight.

Thanks.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no specific 'tow package' like on the F-150 "Max Tow" package.

Having a tow package on a Ram means you have a hitch. I believe ALL Rams come with the bumper hitch and wiring, the tow package just means you have a receiver hitch below it.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IF I understand correctly for the 4th Gen, the Tow Package is the hitch, both round and flat plugs, brakes, and tow mirrors.

Guts~n~Glory

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
On my 2012 Ram the double trailer light hookup sockets (4 pin and 7 pin), and the class IV receiver came standard, the tow package included, a anti sway bar, heavy duty engine oil and tranny coolers, and a auxiliary tranny cooler.... some of that may have been part of the added on tradesman package though or the 23b package i am not sure what all that added though.

Last edited:

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I had my window sticker on this computer then I could tell you what it says on there.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 2012 Ram the double trailer light hookup sockets (4 pin and 7 pin), and the class IV receiver came standard, the tow package included, a anti sway bar, heavy duty engine oil and tranny coolers, and a auxiliary tranny cooler.... some of that may have been part of the added on tradesman package though or the 23b package i am not sure what all that added though.

Yea I forgot the Trans coolers on mine. The hitch package is what comes with the sockets, but it was part of the Tow Package meaning you could get the hitch and sockets without the tow package.

NavyGuy2007

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
My '13 Outdoorsmen came with the hitch, 4 and 7 pin connectors, sway bar, and brake control. I didnt see "Tow Package" listed on the sticker, I'll have to take a nother look. I did notice that the reciever hitch was standard on a lot of modles, but when shoping I found that a lot of window stickers show it as deleted with the "Quick Order" packages.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Thanks, Thought I was missing something. Yea i love the truck, getting around 19 combine and not babying it. I am planning on getting a toy hauler in the future. Trying to decide what my truck is capable of towing. It looks like with the right hitch, bags etc. that 7000 max with 700 to 800 lbs of hitch weight.

Thanks.

I wish I could manage those MPG's, I can't even get that on the highway.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^No $hit!!
I double-checked my build sheet and despite the erratic nature of how they list the truck's features there is no mention of a "tow package". Only the pieces that would make the most badass tow package for a half ton, on earth:rockit:

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depending on trim level there may be a "tow package", like on the ram R/T it adds the hitch because it doesn't come standard on that trim level

IF I understand correctly for the 4th Gen, the Tow Package is the hitch, both round and flat plugs, brakes, and tow mirrors.

Mirrors or brakes have nothing to do with the package. Mirrors are stand alone option on any trim level(or most), and there is no difference in brakes. 4 and 7 pin connectors are standard on every ram

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wish I had my window sticker on this computer then I could tell you what it says on there.

Check the forum for the email address to dodge. With your vin # you can get build sheet for your vehicle. I did it and it gave me more detail than the sticker sheet. I got a 2013 big horn and there is no "tow package". It just list class IV tow w/ 4 and 7 pin connector. I too believe all rams are set up that way. All trucks are made to tow stuff if not then all you need is a car hahaha

AirborneSilva

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the forum for the email address to dodge. With your vin # you can get build sheet for your vehicle. I did it and it gave me more detail than the sticker sheet. I got a 2013 big horn and there is no "tow package". It just list class IV tow w/ 4 and 7 pin connector. I too believe all rams are set up that way. All trucks are made to tow stuff if not then all you need is a car hahaha

Thanks tprice...

Was looking at my "standard" equipment on moparownerconnect.com, this is the only thing/s I found concerning towing "7 Pin Wiring Harness - Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring". I looked at optional equipment as well but there was no mention of anything that had to do with towing.

Last edited:

2013TOY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a laramie longhorn with the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed tranny, air ride and all I can tow is 8550....I was under the impression that I might be able to tow more but only having 3.55 rear axle.
The other thing I found out is that you can't put a 5th wheel hitch in a Ram that has air ride. We were thinking about a lightweight 5th wheel camper....not happening with this truck.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a laramie longhorn with the 5.7 hemi and 8 speed tranny, air ride and all I can tow is 8550....I was under the impression that I might be able to tow more but only having 3.55 rear axle.
The other thing I found out is that you can't put a 5th wheel hitch in a Ram that has air ride. We were thinking about a lightweight 5th wheel camper....not happening with this truck.

I want to contact Ram directly to ask about that, because they don't give a option in the towing guide to select the 8 speed, which should have a effect on the towing capacity. They also don't have a option to select a crew cab 6'4" bed either.
I am glad you said something about the 5th wheel, when my lease is up I was considering getting the air suspension on my next truck if I get one but not now.

kodiakattack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ordered a 2014 CC 6.4 bed and 5.7- 8 speed. The tow package is bigger mirrors , electric brake control , and 3.92 rear , hitch , 4 & 7 pin conn. I don't think the T.T mirrors are power folding ? Last update was delivery to dealer Oct 1 !!

Wonder what the RPM's would be on hwy ? 60 mph (100 kph here in Ontario ) if any one with 3.92's could help.

Cheers !!:happy3::happy3:

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ordered a 2014 CC 6.4 bed and 5.7- 8 speed. The tow package is bigger mirrors , electric brake control , and 3.92 rear , hitch , 4 & 7 pin conn. I don't think the T.T mirrors are power folding ? Last update was delivery to dealer Oct 1 !!

Wonder what the RPM's would be on hwy ? 60 mph (100 kph here in Ontario ) if any one with 3.92's could help.

Cheers !!:happy3::happy3:

Anyone with 3.92's could tell you that info, both transmissions have the same final gear ratio.

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
on my build sheet,
I don't recall seeing anything referring to a towing package on the window sticker, but i'll have to take a look again.

the TT mirrors are NOT power folding, only manual...I have both sets of mirrors, thought about frankensteining em to see if I can make em power folding...but not brave enough to bust into 2 different sets of mirrors to find out.

XHC Trailer Brake Control
NHDP Heavy Duty Transmission Oil Cooler
NMCP Heavy Duty Engine Cooling
SFBS Front Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SGBS Rear Heavy Duty Shock Absorbers
SHAS Front Stabilizer Bar
SHFS Rear Stabilizer Bar
XFH Class IV Receiver Hitch
XFKS 7 Pin Wiring Harness
XFUS Trailer Tow w/4-Pin Connector Wiring

Last edited: