Towing a Travel Trailer Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ghvanhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ever see that commercial with a Tundra pulling the Space Shuttle? With a 3.92 gear ratio and a 5.7 Hemi the answer is yes you can easily pull that trailer but unquestionably you should not tow it on the road. You are putting you, your passengers and everyone else on the road at high risk. I bought a Rockwood 2606 thing why couldn't I pull it with the same truck as yours? I took the rig to the CAT scale and found out I was 460 pounds over payload. With the tongue weight over 1150 (with an advertised weight of 909 -highest in its line already) No matter how I moved things around I could not get it below 180 over payload. I traded two 30 gallon propane tanks for 20s. I took out the two 6v golf cart batteries for one 12v. I moved the bikes from the bed to the rear of the camper (after buying an aluminum Mount-n-lock reinforced bumper). If I shifted more I'd be below 12% tongue to trailer weight ratio. I'm now the proud owner of a 2500 4x4 Cummins. Go to You Tube. "Keep your Daydream"has a good video titled "Payload problems, how much can I tow". I'd stay use CAT scale numbers vs. Manufacturer estimated weights. I can guarantee you will be over payload and likely over your hitch rating. Nobody told me RVing was cheap and I know plenty of people who have (and some still are) making the same mistake. Now is a great time to trade and buy if you can find a suitable truck. Know your payload needs. A 2500 loaded out only has a 400 hundred more pounds of payload. (in a Ram anyway). There is nothing you can do to raise listed payload. Google it. Ilost a few grand but not worried about weights anymore.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Your problem is NOT the truck!!! It is the camper!! If you have never seen or experienced a tail wagging the dog it will scare you senseless!! Been there done both without my family at risk. Thank the Lord!!
I am an OTR driver with thousands of miles in 36 states. I’ve stopped at a number of RV events towing mishaps to render aid. Causes for almost all were too much tail for the dog regardless of how the hitch is set up!!

IMHO anything over 31-32 ft should be a fifth wheel RV. Keep your truck and trade your travel trailer camper for a fifth wheel. I know it is not an easy decision for you or your family to consider trading your new RV. But yours and their well being may hang on that decision.
Do you have a relative or friend with a fifth wheel RV? If so ask to drive it. You’ll realize the difference immediately. No sway regardless of what passes you.
Be Careful out there be mainly BE SAFE !!
A 5th wheel isn't the solution either. Way too much pin weight. The load on the axles and bearing will be huge. I know they market 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels but that doesn't mean they are legal. Typical payload on a 1500 is about 1300-1500lbs and even a small 5th wheel would probably have at least 1500lbs pin weight and that doesn't include the hitch or anything/anyone else in the truck. You either need to step up to a 2500 or step down to about a 7000lb wet camper

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Your problem is NOT the truck!!! It is the camper!! If you have never seen or experienced a tail wagging the dog it will scare you senseless!! Been there done both without my family at risk. Thank the Lord!!
I am an OTR driver with thousands of miles in 36 states. I’ve stopped at a number of RV events towing mishaps to render aid. Causes for almost all were too much tail for the dog regardless of how the hitch is set up!!

IMHO anything over 31-32 ft should be a fifth wheel RV. Keep your truck and trade your travel trailer camper for a fifth wheel. I know it is not an easy decision for you or your family to consider trading your new RV. But yours and their well being may hang on that decision.
Do you have a relative or friend with a fifth wheel RV? If so ask to drive it. You’ll realize the difference immediately. No sway regardless of what passes you.
Be Careful out there be mainly BE SAFE !!

True. That TT is really a park model (put in park and leave it) disguised as a TT.

OP
OP
Jonathan Rogers

Jonathan Rogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So guys I hope you all see this...

I have done it. I went to the dealer I bought the Ram 1500 from (2019) and worked up a deal for a 2021 Ram 2500.

I went with the 6.4L but ordered it with the 4.10 axle ratio. I believe this is a good balance since I tow the camper 4/5 times a year.

I look forward to getting it and safely pulling the camper.

What are your guys preferences on the hitch (Truck to Camper Hitch) reciever?

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I forget now but this was a bumper pull? My son got the Husky TS Centerline WDH. Very nice and works great

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi

I have done it. I went to the dealer I bought the Ram 1500 from (2019) and worked up a deal for a 2021 Ram 2500.

I went with the 6.4L but ordered it with the 4.10 axle ratio. I believe this is a good balance since I tow the camper 4/5 times a year.

Great choice. You will find the HeftyDuty to be great at your prescribed task

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l

Equilizer best.
Did you get the 5th wheel package? If not add it;. You will get a 5th wheel next.
Gas mpg
17 highway
12 city
9 towing

alybry3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC DRW
Engine

Like you, I towed my long 10k TT with a 1/2 ton. My truck was a Sierra Denali 6.2 with the max tow package. I added Sumo Springs AND Super Springs and I used a perfectly dialed in WDH. I towed all over Nevada, CA, and Utah without a problem until October when I took the trailer to Tahoe. Getting there was no problem (except for having to stop every 200 miles for gas) but coming back was terrifying. Coming down the mountain I struggled to slow the truck. My brakes faded to the point of being useless and the engine was redlined. My wife was as scared as I was. This week we upgraded to a Ram 3500 dually so we never have to go through that again. (And now I can get an even bigger trailer!) I think you will be happy having the bigger truck!

Last edited:

RAM432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI VVT
Like you, I towed my long 10k TT with a 1/2 ton. My truck was a Sierra Denali 6.2 with the max tow package. I added Sumo Springs AND Super Springs and I used a perfectly dialed in WDH. I towed all over Nevada, CA, and Utah without a problem until October when I took the trailer to Tahoe. Getting there was no problem (except for having to stop every 200 miles for gas) but coming back was terrifying. Coming down the mountain I struggled to slow the truck. My brakes faded to the point of being useless and the engine was redlined. My wife was as scared as I was. This week we upgraded to a Ram 3500 dually so we never have to go through that again. (And now I can get an even bigger trailer!) I think you will be happy having the bigger truck!

WOW! Thanks for sharing, it's a great reminder for anyone who wants to tow that not only is it important to ask if your truck can tow a trailer, but it's important to ask if your truck can stop the trailer, too. The tail shouldn't wag the dog, if it does, you're in trouble.