Towing an RV Trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allenc3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought my 2017 RAM 1500 Specifically for towing a 28 Ft Camper. It’s, a Long Horn with the Larime Package with all the bells and whisles.

It is a Hemi, with a 3.91 rearend, factory brake controller and 32 gal fuel.

I added Air Lift to the rear coil springs so the truck and trailer are level. This rig works out pretty well. When I get to a campsite and unhook, I still have a nice ride for going out to dinner or whatever.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
Without knowing your trailer make and model and knowing your truck is fairly well optioned I'm betting your truck is overloaded by the numbers. Interesting choice to by a Ram 1500 as a dedicated tow vehicle for a 28' trailer. What trailer do you have?

busterbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Base Longhorn Laramie CC has a max payload of 1380 lbs. Depending on the "loaded, ready to tow" weight of a 28 foot camper, that's not much capacity to accommodate tongue weight, a weight distribution hitch, and TV passengers/cargo. Adding air bags doesn't increase capacity. That's why I went with a 2500 6.4 Hemi. More than double the payload capacity than the 1/2 ton truck and I never have to think about overloading on a camping trip.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Without knowing your trailer make and model and knowing your truck is fairly well optioned I'm betting your truck is overloaded by the numbers. Interesting choice to by a Ram 1500 as a dedicated tow vehicle for a 28' trailer. What trailer do you have?

My thoughts exactly. With my 23' 6,000 lb rig, family of 4 loaded for a weeks camping trip, I was right up against my 15 silverado1500s 1704 lb payload limit, which is likely more than the Ops rams payload.

Unfortunately a lot of folks look at the oems artificially high half ton tow ratings and go by that, which most half tons will run out of payload long before hitting that tow rating.. or they mistakenly use the trailer dry weight which is usually 1000-1500 lbs lighter than actual ready to camp loaded weight.

A 28 foot rig is probably not the overall length, it' probably just the box length. That rig is probabl 30+ overall length.

I was looking a rig that was nearly 30' overall and 7500 gvwr and felt with my half ton I would be pushing my limits so I went to my 2500 and love it. Lord willing I'll never go back to a half ton.

My Chevy could have pulled the trailer we were looking at or I could have put band aids on it to make it work, but I was concerned about controlling all that weight in an emergency situation with a light duty truck.

Just my .02 to each their own. Not to say I'm right and anyone else is wrong. This is just what I do personally.

OP if it's working for you and your satisfied that's good, but you may want to check your loaded, ready to camp weight at a cat scale to see if you are overloaded and by how much (over payload limit, that figure is on the yellow sticker in your door jamb) good luck, happy camping!

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Assuming you are properly using a weight distributing, anti-sway hitch, I don't see any problems either. You are likely over your payload ratings, which is probably not a bid deal as long as you remain under GAWR and have properly (fully if P rated) inflated tires. JMHO

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
^^ I think everyone says that until they tow with a truck built for towing. Been there. Got the t-shirt.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the payload is crap on these trucks because of the soft coil springs and the P rated tires. Something is the weak link, and we know it's not in the drivetrain or frame department.
The dry weight on my trailer is 6700 and my tongue tongue weight is almost 1,000lbs. That's no water, no food, just propane. It's heavier than most, dry. It's built strong and heavy.
My trailer has 106gal water capacity. So if I'm dry camping, the trailer weight goes up fast. I have never experienced and trailer sway or braking problems.
95% of the time and year my trucks handles its duties with an A+ rating. Everyday driving, parking, etc. Do I need a 3/4 ton diesel to commute to work, parking lots, paying double in oil changes, an extra .50 a gallon in fuel charges, higher insurance?I don't think so. I would like to get up mountain passes at a high mph and go down faster and easier with having a exhaust brake.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll just throw out my .02! The 1500s are very limited in total weight capacity. As Skrap said, I'll wager most half-tons are pushing their capacity when towing. Perhaps a larger consideration is what weight your registration allows. Here in WI most half-tons carry a B plate that is limited to 6000 lbs. That is really a joke as my CC without me in it weighs 5800. For that reason, I converted to a C plate that makes me legal up to 8000 lbs. I know that is over the GVWR, but at least now when I tow, the tongue weight and my truck payload don't put me over my registered weight. Maybe it is my age and not wanting to give anyone an avenue for a liability claim, but if you have an accident and are over your registered weight, you are probably "in trouble." I'd rather be safe and legal rather than just safe.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ I think everyone says that until they tow with a truck built for towing. Been there. Got the t-shirt.

Not sure what this is supposed to mean?
Aren’t all trucks meant for towing?

Or was it supposed to mean that my truck is not capable to tow the trailer pictures above?

So let me give you my 2 cents on towing. If you have to have a door sticker or an owners manual tell you what you should and should not be towing, well you don’t have enough common sense to be towing anything to begin with.

You see ratings in your door don’t give you a dam bit of driving skill. If you have experience and some common sense your ass in the seat will let you know real quick if you are doing something you shouldn’t be.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'll just throw out my .02! The 1500s are very limited in total weight capacity. As Skrap said, I'll wager most half-tons are pushing their capacity when towing. Perhaps a larger consideration is what weight your registration allows. Here in WI most half-tons carry a B plate that is limited to 6000 lbs. That is really a joke as my CC without me in it weighs 5800. For that reason, I converted to a C plate that makes me legal up to 8000 lbs. I know that is over the GVWR, but at least now when I tow, the tongue weight and my truck payload don't put me over my registered weight. Maybe it is my age and not wanting to give anyone an avenue for a liability claim, but if you have an accident and are over your registered weight, you are probably "in trouble." I'd rather be safe and legal rather than just safe.

Not sure I understand this concept. Basically a plate changes your trucks capability?

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Not sure what this is supposed to mean?
Aren’t all trucks meant for towing?

Or was it supposed to mean that my truck is not capable to tow the trailer pictures above?

So let me give you my 2 cents on towing. If you have to have a door sticker or an owners manual tell you what you should and should not be towing, well you don’t have enough common sense to be towing anything to begin with.

You see ratings in your door don’t give you a dam bit of driving skill. If you have experience and some common sense your ass in the seat will let you know real quick if you are doing something you shouldn’t be.
Okay since you asked, I'll explain. The first difference here is semantics. There are a million things you CAN do with your truck, but it doesn't mean you SHOULD. A Honda Ridgeline CAN tow that trailer, but SHOULD it? I think we all agree the answer is no.

If you've ever driven a 3/4 ton or larger truck while towing, you would understand immediately what the crucial differences are. I understand they look so similar that they must be similar in driving characteristics to someone who doesn't know, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Have you ever worked on a bigger truck or even looked under the sheetmetal to see the differences? Their similarities end after the pretty sheetmetal and supple interior appointments. They share very few parts where the sun don't shine. That's not by coincidence.

I'm not trying to start anything with you, but I am coming to you from years of experience. I've had three large campers and used everything from a Tahoe to a Yukon Denali XL to a Chevy 1500 and a Ram 1500 to tow them before seeing the light. The numbers were always teetering on the edge. But they are just numbers, right? I thought so too.

As I got older and towed more often and spoke with more people in campgrounds, gas stations, truck stops, etc., I realized maybe I didn't know what I was missing because as far as I was concerned, that was how towing was. I never had any incidents, but there were definitely a few times in the mountains and in bad weather that I wished I had a bigger truck for sure.

Then I moved in next to a guy who had a very similar camper and a 3/4 ton truck. As time went on and we became friends, he kept on me about my setup. It was just a friendly Ford vs. Chevy-like banter. After a few months, we went on a camping trip together, each with our families and our own setups. During the outing, it was the same campfire discussion and a few other campers came by and joined in. Old timers.

I finally relented and my curiosity was piqued enough that I had to see what the hype was all about. On the 100 mile trip home, we switched rigs. I'll just say this; I wanted to put his rig in my driveway after experiencing how a truck that was engineered with serious towing in mind handled. Night and day.

So you see, it's not about a sticker on the door or common sense or the amazing driving skills you think you have. It's about having the right tool for the job. There are a lot of tools that may be able to do a certain job on occasion, but then there are some that are made for it. Once you've done it both ways, you can't argue which one is right.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Okay since you asked, I'll explain. The first difference here is semantics. There are a million things you CAN do with your truck, but it doesn't mean you SHOULD. A Honda Ridgeline CAN tow that trailer, but SHOULD it? I think we all agree the answer is no.

If you've ever driven a 3/4 ton or larger truck while towing, you would understand immediately what the crucial differences are. I understand they look so similar that they must be similar in driving characteristics to someone who doesn't know, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Have you ever worked on a bigger truck or even looked under the sheetmetal to see the differences? Their similarities end after the pretty sheetmetal and supple interior appointments. They share very few parts where the sun don't shine. That's not by coincidence.

I'm not trying to start anything with you, but I am coming to you from years of experience. I've had three large campers and used everything from a Tahoe to a Yukon Denali XL to a Chevy 1500 and a Ram 1500 to tow them before seeing the light. The numbers were always teetering on the edge. But they are just numbers, right? I thought so too.

As I got older and towed more often and spoke with more people in campgrounds, gas stations, truck stops, etc., I realized maybe I didn't know what I was missing because as far as I was concerned, that was how towing was. I never had any incidents, but there were definitely a few times in the mountains and in bad weather that I wished I had a bigger truck for sure.

Then I moved in next to a guy who had a very similar camper and a 3/4 ton truck. As time went on and we became friends, he kept on me about my setup. It was just a friendly Ford vs. Chevy-like banter. After a few months, we went on a camping trip together, each with our families and our own setups. During the outing, it was the same campfire discussion and a few other campers came by and joined in. Old timers.

I finally relented and my curiosity was piqued enough that I had to see what the hype was all about. On the 100 mile trip home, we switched rigs. I'll just say this; I wanted to put his rig in my driveway after experiencing how a truck that was engineered with serious towing in mind handled. Night and day.

So you see, it's not about a sticker on the door or common sense or the amazing driving skills you think you have. It's about having the right tool for the job. There are a lot of tools that may be able to do a certain job on occasion, but then there are some that are made for it. Once you've done it both ways, you can't argue which one is right.

You assume to much.
I have owned 23 different trucks. 3 3/4 diesels 1 1ton diesel. And had a class A liscense.

My family also owned a fabrication shop and I was a manager at Winston tire for a bit. So yes I know what I’m looking st and how to work on it.

So enlighten me why is my truck not the right tool for the job?

Did you know that towing trailers isn’t a new idea? Go look at 1950’s truck with a straight 6 and drum brakes. Oh my god how did they ever do it?

You obviously drank the 8lug or it can’t tug kool aid. Good for you.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
So enlighten me why is my truck not the right tool for the job?
I don't think he's saying it's "not right" as much as he is saying "there are safer ways". Which is true. Would you rather have a 4500lb truck being pushed down a hill by a 8,000lb brick? Or would you rather have a 7400lb truck, with bigger brakes, cooling, and higher capacity suspension, beefier axles, etc, with that same 8,000lb brick?

And by 'brick', I simply mean anything with 4 extra wheels in a box shape behind the truck: camper, utility trailer, whales, etc.

Something that opened my eyes REALLY quick, and is the single experience in my life, that made me go to an HD truck was high crosswinds. Had a Chebby1500 towing a camper in AZ. When I drove under an overpass, the other side had a wind whip that threw my trailer sideways at about the 7-8 o' clock angle. The truck went with it. Recovered it, wife and kids terrified, etc.

I have a power wagon now. I don't care about power or pulling grades at 70, or even high weight. I wanted to be safer towing my bricks on the highway with a rig that is more planted on the ground.

Bldrinker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think he's saying it's "not right" as much as he is saying "there are safer ways". Which is true. Would you rather have a 4500lb truck being pushed down a hill by a 8,000lb brick? Or would you rather have a 7400lb truck, with bigger brakes, cooling, and higher capacity suspension, beefier axles, etc, with that same 8,000lb brick?

And by 'brick', I simply mean anything with 4 extra wheels in a box shape behind the truck: camper, utility trailer, whales, etc.

Something that opened my eyes REALLY quick, and is the single experience in my life, that made me go to an HD truck was high crosswinds. Had a Chebby1500 towing a camper in AZ. When I drove under an overpass, the other side had a wind whip that threw my trailer sideways at about the 7-8 o' clock angle. The truck went with it. Recovered it, wife and kids terrified, etc.

I have a power wagon now. I don't care about power or pulling grades at 70, or even high weight. I wanted to be safer towing my bricks on the highway with a rig that is more planted on the ground.

It’s almost like you guys are thinking I’m arguing that a bigger truck isn’t better. Well no kidding bigger is always better.

I’m
Simply saying it is not needed in my case and many others. We all know 1/2ton trucks are rated to tow at 10,000lbs or more. That’s definitely sketchy at best. But 6,000/8,000 is realistic.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi

I tow a 27 foot trailer with my 1500, I have had 2500's and a 3500 dually.
While the larger trucks are better in some ways for towing, the 1500's are great for someone who takes a couple of trips a year and doesn't want to be stuck with a rough riding, overly expensive to maintain truck the rest of the year.
I have owned trucks for decades and have seen a lot of setups and I honestly think that the whole "You need a heavy duty truck to pull a travel trailer" thing is WAY overblown.
I own this truck...
20160914_100259.jpg
This truck is licensed to gross 80,000 pounds, but if I pay the state a small fee...I can legally gross 96,000 pounds on the same setup.
Does the paper make the truck more capable?
A lot of this crap about GVW, GCW & GAWR is arbitrary and is suject to a lot of leeway out here in the real world.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
It’s almost like you guys are thinking I’m arguing that a bigger truck isn’t better.
I will throw out there, that honestly I replied when I saw the joke about the 8-lug koolaide. It did make me laugh. Definitely no intention of gouging or digging at anyone here.... so far :gathering::happy160:

We all need a beer in our hand right now. It's Friday.

I can legally gross 96,000 pounds on the same setup.
Does the paper make the truck more capable?
You know this question better than anyone else, I would imagine lol. You know the answer, too!

If your GCVWR is 17,500. Then that's it. If your GCVWR is 28,000... then that's it! Commercial tractors are different beasts. And I won't pretend to know anything about them other than they are big.

But if my half-ton truck has a 1700lb payload, with a max towing of 9,900 lbs, and the trailer is 10-18% tongue weight... I'd probably only tow a trailer 6,000 or less. For safety, longevity, etc.

We are all making ASSumptions here though. The OP might have a 32-foot Rockwood with 4 slides, or he might have a 32-foot Airstream. Weight difference is thousands of pounds.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It’s almost like you guys are thinking I’m arguing that a bigger truck isn’t better. Well no kidding bigger is always better.

I’m
Simply saying it is not needed in my case and many others. We all know 1/2ton trucks are rated to tow at 10,000lbs or more. That’s definitely sketchy at best. But 6,000/8,000 is realistic.
We are saying the same thing, except I lean a little more to the right. Yes, you can do that with a 1500, but there are much better options. That was the gist of what I was saying in my previous reply. If you're happy with your setup, great.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I tow a 27 foot trailer with my 1500, I have had 2500's and a 3500 dually.
While the larger trucks are better in some ways for towing, the 1500's are great for someone who takes a couple of trips a year and doesn't want to be stuck with a rough riding, overly expensive to maintain truck the rest of the year.

You won the ******* contest. Now, please tell me in what ways a 1500 tows ANYTHING better than a 2500. You did say "...larger trucks are better in some ways for towing...". Please name the ways they are not better, because I can't think of any. When you say "some", I take it as somewhere around 15-50%. If you meant any more than that, and you probably would use the word "most" or similar.

Also, my 3/4 ton is a gasser. It has rear coils and may not be as plush riding as it's little sister, but it's a far cry from the old school 3/4 tons. Being a gasser, maintaining it does not cost any more than the little ones. Please don't say gas mileage. They all suck in that department and it's trivial to argue over a couple mpg.