TPMS Dead??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yesterday as I was driving my truck to work, I got a service tire pressure monitoring system error and the little -- icon on my front left tire. On my way home, the warning was still up when I started the truck, but then went off after a few miles of driving. On 2 subsequent trips, I got the same warning at approximately the same place, and the same thing happened. It went away after restarting the truck and driving for a few minutes. From research I have done it sounds like the battery may be dead in that sensor. Anyone had this issue and/or been to the dealer with it? 2010 1500.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Probably less money at a tire shop. Tire shops usually offer a free TPM check.

If you're ambitious, you could move the tire from one position to another and see if the fault follows. The pressure is not at the low edge is it?

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
check the pressure before you do anything.

OP
OP
ckeefer58

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Pressure is good, its not reading low or high either, just not reading at all.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Tire Rack sells them for 38 bucks I think. I know some of the cheap ones on ebay just need to be replaced soon again, from others experience.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
To be honest, I would pay a shop to get them and see if you can get a warranty. This item has a lot of issues with Rams, for like a large percentage of people even new sensors don't work or only work for 4 or 5 months.

OP
OP
ckeefer58

ckeefer58

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Alright so this may be a stupid question, but can I just take it to somewhere like Firestone to have it done? TPMS is something I never had to mess with before.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, I would imagine any tire shop will, for about 100 bucks or better. And if you bring them and they are bad, then you pay 100 bucks to find out they are bad. There is a dude here that replaced his 3 times before he said f it.

lmeavtitn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Rebel
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Sounds like the battery is starting to fail on that sensor. The reason is why it work sometimes is when the battery gets low in the sensors, the frequency of the signal they omit can sometimes change. A tire should should be able to test the battery level in that sensor that is failing on you.