Tps sticky

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rolandcad500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi all

Wonder whether others have experienced this. What they did to stop this happening.

I've only owned the truck for a few weeks. It's a well used 2006 5.7 hemi crew cab truck. When I picked it up and drove it home. It seemed to be very responsive. Or not responsive. But wanted to just go. When pressing the accelerator. Just assumed I needed to be more gentle. But after doing a few more miles. It seems the peddle seems to be a little sticky. It doesn't seem to return to tickover straight away when foot is off of the pedal.

Was wondering what could be the caused and also the cure. Is there a common lubricant or process to rectify this. Save me using more gas and braking more to keep it under control.

Thanks for reading. Be interested in the thoughts of you guys.

Cheers Roland

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
You are probably going to be looking at several things
but being it is a 5.7 most of them are not as difficult to diagnose
Do you have an OBD2 code reader to tell you what maybe obvious ?

OP
OP
R

Rolandcad500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi Mister luck. Cheers for your reply. I do. But not actually used one yet. As previously a mate has done it for me. So not needed to worry before.
I will have a look. Wondered whether others had experienced similar before.

Cheers Roland

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
TPS ‘s are a sticky lot

it’s always in your best interest to have a spare ( a known good one ) for trouble shooting
An analog multi- meter with a needle can illustrate the smoothness of the TPS’s sweep visually than a digital meter.

What happens is they usually need to be rewired or re-soldered internally and they are new about $20 US

ZBN Throttle Position Sensor TPS 4686360 4686360AB Compatible with Pacifica Caravan Dodge Town & Country Ram 1500 Viper Fit TH264 4686360AC
https://a.co/d/gRGQM2c

ZENITHIKE Throttle Position Sensor TPS 2006-07 for Jeep Commander, 1997-07 for Dodge Dakota, 1998-07 for Dodge Durango, 1995-07 for Dodge Ram 1500 - Replaces 5014479AA TH190
https://a.co/d/fIQlvuI

If you’re an electronics hobbyist or professional it’s probably not difficult to fix and you may find other vehicle models or makes that use the identical part this can offer a price advantage buying new or seeking a salvaged unit

Last edited:

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I don't have the 5.7 gas, I have the 5.9 Cummins diesel, but I experienced the same thing you did. When I backed off the throttle it was very slow to return to idle. Then it stopped returning to idle altogether. Not good for brakes or tranny. Fortunately, I was able to slip my foot behind the pedal and pull it back to an idle. Very frustrating in downtown stop and go traffic. When I got home I crawled under the dash and watched where the pedal went into a little black box with wires coming out of it. I put some oil on the moving parts and it worked wonders. I've never had that happen before. I hope your fix is as simple as mine, Good luck,